Minoxidil Math! (2 Part Question, Please Help)

Zoro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I respectfully completely disagree. Using math, show me how 2mL of 5% equals 1mL of 10%. It doesn't. You're only changing the volume in this equation and changing the volume does not proportionately increase the concentration. By your logic, 3mL of 5% equals 1mL of 15% min, 4mL would be equal to 1mL of 20% minoxidil. It's just not logical.

2mL of 5% which is 50mg/mL is 100mL, 1mL of 10% which is 100mg/mL is 100mL

You are right in saying the concentration isn't the same, but the actual mg amount of minoxidil that hits your scalp is exactly the same.

Last edited:

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
2mL of 5% which is 50mg/mL is 100mL, 1mL of 10% which is 100mg/mL is 100mL

You are right in saying the concentration isn't the same, but the actual mg amount of minoxidil that hits your scalp is exactly the same.

Probably not. I would guess a 10 % 1ml concentration is more effective than 2 ml 5 % concentration. Skin-absorption is very complex biology, the diffusionrate of minoxidil depends on the concentration and the amount being applied as two different factors and what factors attribute the strongest is probably a covariable function.

jbaxter68124

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pavi, you asked above to use math to explain my logic.

2ml of 5% equals 100mg of total drug applied to scalp. (50mg per ml). 1ml of 10% equals 100mg of total drug applied to the scalp (100mg per ml). They are the same. Thus, using math, I have explained how you are wrong. It's driving me crazy because you sound so convinced you are correct. You should really admit you are wrong after that comment about "Did you guys ever go to science class?".

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pavi, you asked above to use math to explain my logic.

2ml of 5% equals 100mg of total drug applied to scalp. (50mg per ml). 1ml of 10% equals 100mg of total drug applied to the scalp (100mg per ml). They are the same. Thus, using math, I have explained how you are wrong. It's driving me crazy because you sound so convinced you are correct. You should really admit you are wrong after that comment about "Did you guys ever go to science class?".

That's just wrong... by your logic, the more minoxidil you apply to your scalp, the more it equates to a higher concentration of minoxidil. Applying 2 x the dose of 5% does not equal 10% minoxidil. It just does not. Your math completely ignores the fact that you're adding more solution to the mix in a proportionate manner. I don't get how you think adding more 5% minoxidil makes it more concentrated minoxidil. It is by definition, a 5% minoxidil solution.

2mL of 5% is the same concentration as 1mL of 5%.

Vegeta's Hairline

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jesus, that took you guys a long time to argue the correct facts... You know, a Percentage of something is always that percentage of that something. Anyone can apply more of the chemical by simply applying more of the chemical. However, and it's true that the Concentration cannot be adjusted without having more of the raw chemical Minoxidil available. So, the Percentage is to always be taken for as a Constant to that product, whether tincture or foam, etc. But, increasing frequency of application does not increase Concentration, increased frequency of application does however increase amount of Minoxidil on applied area, but percentage of Minoxidil in solution is not the same as Minoxidil percentage on scalp after increased application; they are two entirely different things.

Now, if I'm to be honest, a 5% - 15% solution is not that impressive. Minoxidil is not an elicit, nor controlled substance. One can buy it in bulk via the internet. I won't list the sources, but they're there and some have even been verified to provide the actual Percentages as advertised.
Personally I'd like to prepare my own Minoxidil or Minoxidil Sulfate solution, from raw Minoxidil 95 - 99%.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jesus, that took you guys a long time to argue the correct facts... You know, a Percentage of something is always that percentage of that something. Anyone can apply more of the chemical by simply applying more of the chemical. However, and it's true that the Concentration cannot be adjusted without having more of the raw chemical Minoxidil available. So, the Percentage is to always be taken for as a Constant to that product, whether tincture or foam, etc. But, increasing frequency of application does not increase Concentration, increased frequency of application does however increase amount of Minoxidil on applied area, but percentage of Minoxidil in solution is not the same as Minoxidil percentage on scalp after increased application; they are two entirely different things.

Now, if I'm to be honest, a 5% - 15% solution is not that impressive. Minoxidil is not an elicit, nor controlled substance. One can buy it in bulk via the internet. I won't list the sources, but they're there and some have even been verified to provide the actual Percentages as advertised.
Personally I'd like to prepare my own Minoxidil or Minoxidil Sulfate solution, from raw Minoxidil 95 - 99%.

Thank you for supporting my argument.

jbaxter68124

My Regimen
Reaction score
Vegeta - I don't get. I just don't get it. Try to explain in terms of a 6 year old. Because I just don't get it.

Explain how 2ml of 5% is not equivalent to 1ml of 10%. That doesn't make ANY sense!

jbaxter68124

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jesus Christ. That's like saying 2 10mg pills of Adderall is not equivalent to a 20mg pill of Adderall!! You guys are driving me crazy!

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The crux of the problem in this thread is right here:

"I respectfully completely disagree. Using math, show me how 2mL of 5% equals 1mL of 10%. It doesn't. You're only changing the volume in this equation and changing the volume does not proportionately increase the concentration."

Indeed it doesn't change the concentration. But was anyone saying it did?

2mL of 5% absolutely does equal 1mL of 10%, as far as the amount of drug.

Does the same amount of the drug get absorbed into the scalp if you change the concentration? Perhaps not. It's another issue entirely.

These three things are getting mushed together and that's why this thread is a mess. It's three completely different things... the % of concentration, the amount of drug, how much is absorbed.

Vegeta's Hairline

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's just wrong... by your logic, the more minoxidil you apply to your scalp, the more it equates to a higher concentration of minoxidil. Applying 2 x the dose of 5% does not equal 10% minoxidil. It just does not. Your math completely ignores the fact that you're adding more solution to the mix in a proportionate manner. I don't get how you think adding more 5% minoxidil makes it more concentrated minoxidil. It is by definition, a 5% minoxidil solution.

2mL of 5% is the same concentration as 1mL of 5%.
Thank you for supporting my argument.
It was a good question to ask, I think. The answer is simple really once you think about it
Vegeta - I don't get. I just don't get it. Try to explain in terms of a 6 year old. Because I just don't get it.

Explain how 2ml of 5% is not equivalent to 1ml of 10%. That doesn't make ANY sense!
In your example, 5% is taken to be the total amount of Minoxidil molecule for/in every milliliter of fluid.
If you used 2mLs of the 5% solution, you would still be using a 5% solution BECAUSE the 5% is only in relation to how much Minoxidil there is per milliliter of fluid. It's a preset, there is only 5% minoxidil for every mL. Using more than 1mL, or applying more does not change the percentage of said product.

A mL of 10% is more concentrated, meaning you would get more Minoxidil applied each time. The same is true though, 10% is only in relation to the amount of Minoxidil that is distributed throughout the liquid solution. Each mL is equal to 10% in this case, so if you applied the whole bottle, you would of course absorb all of the Minoxidil... but you wouldn't do that because DOSING is what's practical. A dose is typically 1mL, right?

So, each dose is what's important. The total amount of Minoxidil that could be present in that bottle of 5%, or 10% is measured in grams, typically. This is because Minoxidil in it's Raw form is a crystalline powder, with a high melting temperature I might add. So, the powder is commonly dissolved in a liquid, Propylene Glycol or Alcohol, or both. The Minoxidil crystals are dissolved throughout the liquid(s). Say you had a 10mL bottle of 5% Minoxidil, you know that each mL contains 5% Minoxidil, the other 95% of that mL is the other liquids.

Taking 2ml of 5% is equivalent to taking 1ml of 10%, yes. But the better question is, is it cost effective to buy and use the 10% than the 5%.

Vegeta's Hairline

My Regimen
Reaction score
The crux of the problem in this thread is right here:

"I respectfully completely disagree. Using math, show me how 2mL of 5% equals 1mL of 10%. It doesn't. You're only changing the volume in this equation and changing the volume does not proportionately increase the concentration."

Indeed it doesn't change the concentration. But was anyone saying it did?

2mL of 5% absolutely does equal 1mL of 10%, as far as the amount of drug.

Does the same amount of the drug get absorbed into the scalp if you change the concentration? Perhaps not. It's another issue entirely.

These three things are getting mushed together and that's why this thread is a mess. It's three completely different things... the % of concentration, the amount of drug, how much is absorbed.
Exactly, he's just leading up to the bigger, more important questions, that's all. It's good that he's asking questions. As you put it, absorption is all the more important factor, as well as overdosing - rather over looked.

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have an orange juice made of one orange, and divide them into two cups and drink them both at the same time will not make them made of two orangs, it will be two cups and one orange.

jbaxter68124

My Regimen
Reaction score
Vegeta, what the heck? You just typed a really, really long response when I asked you to try and explain how I was wrong and the very last statement of your post said I was correct. What!

Vegeta and Pavi - the amount of minoxidil in 2ml of 5% and 1ml of 10% is exactly the same. That's all I am saying. Please god don't type anymore long responses and just say "yes, he was correct the entire time".

As far as absorption, are you kidding me? They are probably exactly the same but no one knows for sure. There is no way to test it.

Zoro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Probably not. I would guess a 10 % 1ml concentration is more effective than 2 ml 5 % concentration. Skin-absorption is very complex biology, the diffusionrate of minoxidil depends on the concentration and the amount being applied as two different factors and what factors attribute the strongest is probably a covariable function.

Fair enough, but even if this is the case it's still cheaper to use say 3ml of 5% vs 1ml of 10% to account for the lower efficiency of absorption of the 5%

Andy26

My Regimen
Reaction score
BUMP, pavi is right it would just be a greater solution of 5 percent minoxidil formula, you need to adjust the actual concentration. In other words, its just more of the 5 percent formula. we get asked many of these questions in organic chemistry and general analytical chemistry in university, since we have to create a lot of solutions with solutes and solvents . In this case the minoxidil will be the solute ( its concentrated) all the other sh*t that makes the solution is the solvent

However, when you add 2 ml of 5 percent minoxidil instead of 1 ml you do in fact have THE SAME CONCENTRATION of 10 percent minoxidil solution. the solution just covers twice the surface area

take that with a grain of salt im not a doctor but i am graduating in 3 weeks with a bachelors in biological science, so i do know a lil science

Last edited:

jbaxter68124

My Regimen
Reaction score
Andy26, what are you talking about? You typed a very long post. This thread is simply answering the question "Does 2ml of 5% contain the same amount of drug as 1ml 10%"? Pavi was wrong! The amount of drug in both are the same.