Minoxidil Is Poisonous to Cats

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was thinking about starting minoxidil, but found out yesterday that it's poisonous to cats, and some have died after being exposed to it. I have a cat of my own, and he sleeps with me on my bed and is pretty affectionate, so I was wondering if it's at all possible to use minoxidil without exposing him to it. Anyone in the same situation or have any advice?

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My cat died a few months ago from minoxidil poisoning so I know first-hand but I didn't know it was poisonous to cats until after she died. Just keep your cat out of the bathroom while you apply it so they don't drink up minoxidil-water from the sink, and don't let them lick your hair or play with it until it dries and you should be fine. I haven't had any other cats die from it.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
Geez, sorry to hear that, that's pretty scary. I'm worried about touching my hair and touching him because of an itch or even just to move my hair out of my face, not really sure if I will ever be comfortable using it if there is a chance of exposing him to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else have any tips?

twenty.five

Established Member
Reaction score
Just do the things that you should be doing even without a cat.

• Put the bottle away when you're done.
  • Wash your hands with soap after use.
  • Put the minoxidil on your scalp, not your hair.
  • Try not to touch your head for 20 minutes after putting minoxidil on.
  • Use it more than 4 hours before bed so none gets on your pillow.

Be careful, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I also try to stay away from my cat for a little while after I've used it. I know that's probably unnecessary.

Also, according to what I found on google, there have been only six incidents of cats poisoned by minoxidil, and two were when the owners put it directly on the cat.