minoxidil in shampoo

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
guys:
do you think mixing a little bit of Dr. Lee's or other minoxidil with a shampoo and applying it everyday will help?
I am interested in the increased adsorption of minoxidil during shampooing. may be just use it on shiny baldspots or difficult areas.
If nano works in a shampoo why not minoxidil?
is sideeffect a concern?

misterium

Reaction score
I believe it has to do with absorbtion time.

A shampoo containing minoxidil doesn't stay on your scalp long enough for effective absorbtion.

VWdude

Reaction score
misterium said:
I believe it has to do with absorbtion time.

A shampoo containing minoxidil doesn't stay on your scalp long enough for effective absorbtion.

I think he's right...unless you leave the shampoo in as a leave in shampoo treatment.

I like shampoo.

misterium

Reaction score
I too, like shampoo.

I think it would be one advantage if it was possible to get a minoxidil shampoo that had great absorbtion quality.. perhaps like you said a leave-in conditioner with minoxidil already in it...

Unfortunately, much of the chemical would get into your hair and I don't know if that's a good thing or not, as you are only supposed to apply minoxidil to the scalp itself.

Anyway, I'd definatley jump on the stuff if they made it available in a shampoo/conditioner format.

But for now, I'll wait out the finasteride and see if I need to add minoxidil down the line.

VWdude

Reaction score
yeah that's what i'm doing, just stickin with the finasteride hoping i don't need to use minoxidil... i think it would be a pain in the *** applying it everyday.

misterium

Reaction score
I don't think it would be a pain really, no more than applying my daily Tricomin & Folligen. I make time for things like that just like I make time for taking my vitamins.

I just don't like the idea of having irritation because of PPG. Also the flaking that minoxidil causes sometimes is another concern.

VWdude

Reaction score
yeah, but i wish i wasn't going bald at all so I can do absolutely f*** all to my hair besides washing it with non balding preventative shampoos and various anti balding sprays and taking a pill.

misterium

Reaction score
Absolutely.

That's the hand we've been dealt. Until better treatments are available, we're stuck taking care of our hair the best way we know how:

Proven treatments and a good regimen.

VWdude

Reaction score
yeah, each day I start a new day with "oh, its about time to take my balding pill (propecia). Then everyday I wash my hair with american crew revitalize products then say "hey, time to spray my scalp with anti-balding-goodness" then I spray my head with copper peptides. Mind you, I use extra strength anti balding shampoo (nizoral) twice a week...

BALDING BALDING BALDING

ALL ABOUT BALDING!!!!!! JEEZE.

misterium

Reaction score
Life could be worse.

But it can also be much better.

Keep at it!

Melbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I can certainly say im not up for adding minoxidil to my current program. Did for 6 weeks, hated it, made things worse. Was never Using Nizoral, so ive added that and Zinc as a replacement for now. Im sure i will get back on the minoxidil in a few years, but it really was a pain in the *** big time for me... I have very fine hair too which meant it made it go sort of greasy and limp.

Bloody Hair!

Sweet Shampoo...

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bump.
please add opinions on minoxidil in a shampoo.
i tried it last night. after shampooing/drying within few minutes i had a tingy feeling (the usual one you get after applying minoxidil).

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

minoxidil needs to be on the head for some time for it to be effective in my opinion. The steam and heat from the shower may open up pores to allow minoxidil to absorb, which may help, but seeing how you are washing it right off, I just don't see the point. As you wash it off, it can get in your eyes and is not good for your skin as it contains a high % of alchohol. Think about it, why use minoxidil in your shampoo and have it wash right off when you can just apply it after showering and know it is going to have plenty of time to absorb.

misterium

Reaction score
^ If it was available in an effective shampoo formula, you'd be killing two birds with one stone: Cleaning hair & scalp and treating it.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if nano is similar to minoxidil, minoxidil should work in a shampoo.
my feeling is that minoxidil is as potent as nano in growth stimulation if not more.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

Don't you think there is a reason why Rogaine instructs users to apply minoxidil directly to the scalp with a dropper when the hair is dry and hten allowing the product to dry? In my opinion you guys are not making any scense.

misterium

Reaction score
Yeah we're just dreaming.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I will be happy to get Bryan's or someone with a scientific reasoning (other than not enough time for absorption) opinion on this.

Ichibi

Reaction score
I'm not a minoxidil user, but why do people say it's bad to apply to a wet scalp? Something to do with absorption? Does it absorb too fast too quickly or not enough?

What if it was put in a conditioner you leave on for a good 5-10 mins?

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
techprof said:
guys:
do you think mixing a little bit of Dr. Lee's or other minoxidil with a shampoo and applying it everyday will help?
I am interested in the increased adsorption of minoxidil during shampooing. may be just use it on shiny baldspots or difficult areas.
If nano works in a shampoo why not minoxidil?
is sideeffect a concern?

Shampoos are oil based and minoxidil is alcohol based. The two dont mix. Then theres the issue of minoxidil getting diluted and getting too little time to act on the area.
I dont see what benefit such a combination can give!