minoxidil hair = straw/hay

JonA

Reaction score
I have been using minoxidil for about 7-8 months now (5% liquid) and it hasnt really given me regrowth on the top only vellieus hairs on the temples....

BUT it has thickend my hair all over,,, but now my hair feels fake or something.. bit like hay or straw.. As if it doesnt have a nice texture anymore and doesnt want to bend or have much flexibility and doesnt fall as nicely as it did (im tryin to explain as best as i can lol)

has anyone elso noticed this????? (Admittidly i wud prefer straw hair than no hair.. but i wish it could feel like my normal hair how it used to :(

and on a side note... i feel like its making me feel older,,eyes always feel as if i js woke up.. and face not looking the same....

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My solution is a decent conditioner and to take breaks from minoxidil, say one day out of a week. This is what I do. I don't think it makes much difference if any to regrowth.

Hope that helps you dude :)

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey JonA. I've experienced the exact same 'hair' problems using minoxidil (i've been using it for about 4/5 years now.)

For me - using minoxidil has grown hair on the top and a little at the front, BUT the hair it does grow back is very thick and wiry (almost like a pube kind of texture - as gross as that sounds..... :lol: ) and looks even worse with hair gel applied - especially at the front!!

The only solution I personally can suggest is make sure you get your hair cut as frequently as possible - when these hairs are short they don't look as bad....

ShedMaster

Reaction score
I have heard of this before. you could try taking msm everyday which makes your hair grow faster, and possibly increasing the quality of the hair. I agree with the idea of using a shampoo/conditioner to treat the hair.

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
I have heard of this before. you could try taking msm everyday which makes your hair grow faster, and possibly increasing the quality of the hair. I agree with the idea of using a shampoo/conditioner to treat the hair

Yeah I've thought about taking MSM too - but the reportedly increased growth in body hair sounds too much of a nasty and inconvenient side effect.

Regarding using a conditioner - won't that run the risk of interfering with the absorbtion of the minoxidil?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
jared_24 said:
ShedMaster said:
I have heard of this before. you could try taking msm everyday which makes your hair grow faster, and possibly increasing the quality of the hair. I agree with the idea of using a shampoo/conditioner to treat the hair

Yeah I've thought about taking MSM too - but the reportedly increased growth in body hair sounds too much of a nasty and inconvenient side effect.

Regarding using a conditioner - won't that run the risk of interfering with the absorbtion of the minoxidil?

no...u shampoo your hair, condition it (leaving the conditioner in for a good 5 mins) rinse, towel dry, apply your minoxidil.

JonA

Reaction score
hmm, ye,, im gna try and reduce the amount i put on,, and c wat happens. I dont minde js maintaining if i can... maybe 1x a day instead of two.

Does this happen to everyone on minoxidil??? hair js simply doesnt look as healthy when on minoxidil :( cant bloody win!!

ShedMaster

Reaction score
jared_24 said:
ShedMaster said:

Thats the least of your worries. I have not seen too many who experience that. I certainly didn't. Besides the numerous health benefits of taking msm, increased rate of hair growth and finger nails are about it.

1972male

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
[quote="jared_24":5a916]
ShedMaster said:

no...u shampoo your hair, condition it (leaving the conditioner in for a good 5 mins) rinse, towel dry, apply your minoxidil.[/quote:5a916]what if you have a shaved head?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
1972male said:
hair today gone tomorrow said:
[quote="jared_24":6c57a]
ShedMaster said:

no...u shampoo your hair, condition it (leaving the conditioner in for a good 5 mins) rinse, towel dry, apply your minoxidil.
what if you have a shaved head?[/quote:6c57a]

um no...if you have hair or your shaved...thats what you should be doing...

what does that routine have to do with a shaved head?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
using a good conditioner helps