minoxidil for 3 months get re-growth quit for 3 then start agian

Risugo

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil is a lifetime commitment once you have started you should not stop. There is a BIG possibility that it not work again. :(

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Been on the big3 about three years now. So far I have maintained at around norwood 3. I apply rogaine foam to my temples and hairline twice a day. Ithink I have regrown some hair around the hairline since starting but not really enough to make a cosmetic difference. I have not been taking pics from the start which I regret becuase I cant be sure how much or little regrowth I have had.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
irishpride86 said:
Anyone use minoxidil for 3 months, get great re-growth, then quit for 3 months and start agian and gain it back ?

OR is all those hairs gone forever... would suck if it sheds and never is able to come back.

I know people will say look through the tread and do a search... I have ...but there may be those who have done it with and not posted yet...

The hairs you lost are not gone forever. Jump back on it ASAP and you may get most of them back. You have to remember the "30 month window", once a hair is lost there is approx 30 months before the actual follicle dies.

Stay strong!

Risugo

Established Member
Reaction score
irishpride86,

You are not joking? You are joke :puke: .
Each time you stay out of minoxidil for a long time your chances of growing hair decreases
Here is something from http://www.minoxidil.com/subpages/hairl ... ory_h.html
I quote:
Myth: Hair loss treatments will indefinitely recruit hair follicles to grow terminal hairOf course, if a patient discontinues treatment at any time, he will lose all of the gains he has made, and it may not be possible to achieve the same recruitment upon restarting treatment.
Unfortunately, not. With the current treatments for male pattern baldness, the amount of scalp hair loss reversal is maximized at about two to three years. Many patients will be able to maintain the hair on the scalp with continued treatment, but most patients will gradually see some thinning again. Patients who stay on treatment with topical minoxidil definitely do much better than untreated patients, but the positive results will decline over time. Of course, if a patient discontinues treatment at any time, he will lose all of the gains he has made, and it may not be possible to achieve the same recruitment upon restarting treatment.

You can also find this in Dr. Pickart's SkinBiology

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I used minoxidil for quite a while in my early 30's before
finasteride was available. I grew a little hair but not much and I
stopped using it for about 15 years.

Started finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral/retin a/etc and grew hair on previously slick
bald areas. These areas had been bald for at least 5 years. So I
don't think follicles in my case died after 30 months. However the
effectiveness of the big 3 seems to drop off since I've been
shedding for several months.

For my hair minoxidil alone was a waste of money. I think
DHT was damaging the follicles to the extent minoxidil had little
effect.