Minoxidil Foam Reaction - Facial Hair

Ben M

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi people,

I bought some Kirkland 5% minoxidil foam as I want to use it on my facial hair to get better growth. After I first applied it to my cheeks and neck area twice (twice a day as per recommended), the next day I break out in a huge rash which gets worse for a couple of days, really red, itchy and bumpy before gradually reducing after about a week. Second time, I decided to patch test it once a day on my forearm to see if reducing the dose would be OK for me, and I still break out in a similar rash on my forearm. Does this mean I'm allergic to the minoxidil itself, as the foam doesn't contain PPG as far as im aware, so it could either be the alcohol in it or the minoxidil itself.

Any ideas?
Kind regards

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is it the first time you use the drug ?

an allergic reaction take 4/7 days from the first exposure to appear..

So if its your first time maybe is a reaction from the skin to the new product but with time it will get better.
If not, its really looks like an allergic reaction

Ben M

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used it for the first time on my necks and cheeks yeah, The next day seemed ok so I applied it again, then it was the day after that where it broke out into a huge rash. Which took about 1 week to disappear. Then I patch tested it once a day on my arm to see if lowering the dosage made a difference, it did not!

Matt_Bl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ben,

Did you ever figure out what exactly you were reacting to? Have you managed to continue using any minoxidil-based product?

I recently had an allergic reaction all over my ears and face and suspect Minoxidil itself (as opposed to just PG) because of the timing of how I was trying out the solution vs the foam. I’m going to see an allergist for testing in a couple weeks, so we’ll see if they can test for PG and minoxidil allergy specifically...

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ben,

Did you ever figure out what exactly you were reacting to? Have you managed to continue using any minoxidil-based product?

I recently had an allergic reaction all over my ears and face and suspect Minoxidil itself (as opposed to just PG) because of the timing of how I was trying out the solution vs the foam. I’m going to see an allergist for testing in a couple weeks, so we’ll see if they can test for PG and minoxidil allergy specifically...

it seems an allergic reaction to minoxidil itself because an allergy to PG should be in your scalp( where you apply it ). instead minoxidil since travel in the blood the reaction can appear in every part of your body..

im allergic too, my simptoms were swollen salivary glands and asthma :(