minoxidil foam or liquid?

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know this question has probably been asked before but what do people think is better the foam or liquid? Does either produce better results? Does either have more potential side effects (such as causing wrinkles)? Also, which is easier to use?

g.i joey

Reaction score
I actually ran out of foam so I got one of my friends to lend me a bottle of liquid and this **** sucks!! Foam is like putting moose in your hair it's soo nice. With the liquid I would never be able to apply it in the morning cause it has such a greasy after 3ffect on your hair

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Use which ever type is most convenient for you, foam or liquid Minoxidil. I've used both types before and from my experience in terms of effectiveness, I think both of the work the same. I use the foam version since it's my preference however.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I suspected the foam was easier to use but I thought some people found the liquid more potent.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
I've tried both and find that the foam is harder to apply to my scalp since I have hair on my head. The liquid is just so much easier to get to my scalp, even though it's greasier. I suppose if you're bald on the area you want to apply to, the foam may be easier.

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if you have longish hair, definitely use the liquid cause the foam is much harder to get to the scalp. Otherwise just pick whichever you're more likely to use. The most potent form of minoxidil has nothing to do with the vehicle or concentration, it's whatever you use the most often!

darioc93

Reaction score
Foam

Follow up on this thread. I naturally have very dry hair, and applying rogaine afterwards make it stiff + dry.

Is it ok to apply rogaine, and then after it dries out, use water to rinse the hair to lessen the stiffness as well as make the hair less dry? Not shampooing it or adding any products, but just simply adding water to make the hair more alive and flexible.

sharpguy

Reaction score
I used the foam. I would fill the cap up with foam then submerged half the cap into hot water to melt it. I would then use a dropper to suck it up and apply it. I liked the foam better because it didn't make the hair look greasy when applied this way.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
I used the foam. I would fill the cap up with foam then submerged half the cap into hot water to melt it. I would then use a dropper to suck it up and apply it. I liked the foam better because it didn't make the hair look greasy when applied this way.
Holy crap. That's quite the rigmarole.

br1

Reaction score
What? I wash my hair in the morning and evening. Every day. Some times just rinse with coldish water. Other times a quick wash with zinc shampoo.

When I wake up, my hair is super oily.

I've been doing this for my whole life and seems to be beneficial.

Iopu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I prefer liquid I find it doesnt run down my face as bad. I put a lot on my hairline sometimes a whole 1ml.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
I used them both, and they both have their pros and cons. Foam is more convienent for those who have things to do and need to go outside because liquid makes hair greasy for a long time. But for people like me who had long hair, foam was a lot harder to get on my scalp and I had to use a lot more, and it was more expensive.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I also used both, the liquid is significantly more effective for me than the foam. I switch to the foam when I forget how ineffective it is and start reading people having success with it and its ease of use, and quick drying features, then I use it and remember how much it sucks at penetrating the scalp compared to the liquid and go back to the liquid mess. This has happened to me about 3 times in the past but now i've been more consistent, i'm not letting anyone convince me the foam is the same. If the foam works the same for you as the liquid, by all means use the foam. But just don't lie to yourself, or try convince yourself that it works the same just because you like it better and want to convince yourself that it's okay, cause it's cleaner and more convenient. Minoxidil liquid is that slutty girl that you like, she's better for you, honest, and more effective. Foam is that girl putting up a nice girl act but is a actually just a pretty little liar and isn't going to give you all the hair you can possibly get. You'll only end up hurting your own progress. So make sure you are actually telling the truth to yourself. Remember, you will also be helping others, because they will read your posts and, most people read 4-5 posts of people saying the same thing and will feel that it must be true then.

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You guys make good points about guys with longer hair benefiting more from liquid minoxidil because of scalp penetration. My question is: HOW do you apply it? I can't find an answer to this anywhere. After you drop it onto the crown, are you supposed to rub it in there with your finger? Because I've read that you're not supposed to touch it. But if you don't, then it's just going to run down to my face!

Any help would be appreciated!

Iopu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You guys make good points about guys with longer hair benefiting more from liquid minoxidil because of scalp penetration. My question is: HOW do you apply it? I can't find an answer to this anywhere. After you drop it onto the crown, are you supposed to rub it in there with your finger? Because I've read that you're not supposed to touch it. But if you don't, then it's just going to run down to my face!

Any help would be appreciated!

Yes go ahead and rub it in. Just to spread it properly and not so much its all coming off into your hands.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes go ahead and rub it in. Just to spread it properly and not so much its all coming off into your hands.

you dont need to rub it in with your finger. what i do is fill the dropper, then rub the end of the dropper into the crown in an asterisk pattern, directly onto the scalp (through the hairs), from the center. it will come out on its own and get rubbed into the scalp nicely by the end of the dropper itself. while i do this, with the thumb and forefinger of my other hand i make kind of a big "C" shape around the entire crown area, pressing on top of the hair. this stops any drips of minoxidil from escaping the crown area (though there arent many because the dropper nozzle does a good job of both rubbing it and and releasing it relatively slowly, on its own), thus keeping it all clean, and on the crown. no minoxidil gets on my other hand because im making the "C" over my hair, and whatever minoxidil may want to drip is already on the scalp, under the hair. in this way i keep 100% of the minoxidil in the crown area, evenly dispersed, almost all rubbed into the scalp and not wasted on the hair, and off my hands.

fwiw i do it only once a day, and i use a lot... around 2 ml on the crown and 2 ml on the hairline (which has its own method, lol).