Minoxidil Facial Bloating/swelling/puffy Face

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sure this issue has been raised here several times, but I can't find such thread within the first few pages.
How to deal with facial swelling/bloating/puffy face from minoxidil?

I have been taking regular photos for a long time, in similar lighting conditions. I first started taking minoxidil in autumn 2016 and discontinued using it in March 2017 when I noticed my face was very bloated. No weight change during that period, either, and my body looked pretty much the same. At that time I was using it both on my hair and my face in the hope of strengthening my facial hair.

Within 1-3 months of discontinuation my face gradually slimmed down to its normal contours; however, the state of my hair became worse.

This led me to restarting minoxidil in November 2017, this time only applying it to my hair. I quickly realised my face started getting bloated again, which was confirmed by photos. I stopped it for a week and then began taking it every other day, but as my hair continued to become worse I panicked and started using it daily again. I believe there was a small difference in the weeks after I cut down on the frequency.

I only apply it to my hair now, once a day, about 0.65 ml (4 sprays). I do it early in the evening so that it doesn't drip on the pillows. My face seems less bloated than it was when I was also applying it to my face, and it appears I had dark circles under my eyes then which I don't have now, but it's still certainly swollen. The observed changes have not been correlated to weight or body fat fluctuations.

I'm pretty sure I can't just stop using minoxidil or my hair will be ruined due to shedding, even though I was on finasteride and now have just started dutasteride. So I'm pretty much doomed to using it unless I get a hair transplant to cover the losses. Have you experienced this side effect? Have you managed to reduce it? I'm thinking of drinking a lot of herbal diuretics every day to reduce water retention.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi , it happened to me and to many others. People believe its water retention but it isnt. You can have water retention if you use the oral 10mg and its start in the legs.
You have an allergic reaction. Even if you put a small dose like 0,65ml you will have the bloated face , dark circles..
Its really frustrating because the drug works really good but there is nothing to do. We are really unlucky.

DanielDüsentrieb

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi , it happened to me and to many others. People believe its water retention but it isnt. You can have water retention if you use the oral 10mg and its start in the legs.
You have an allergic reaction. Even if you put a small dose like 0,65ml you will have the bloated face , dark circles..
Its really frustrating because the drug works really good but there is nothing to do. We are really unlucky.

I just get the dark circles under my eyes. Do ypu think this is also an alergic reaction or it might go away even if i continue to take minoxidil.

I m using minoxidil for 5 days now.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just get the dark circles under my eyes. Do ypu think this is also an alergic reaction or it might go away even if i continue to take minoxidil.

I m using minoxidil for 5 days now.

If its the only simptom i would continue and see what happens..maybe its something else

4myBP

My Regimen
Reaction score
So my post is a little different due to the fact that I am a 37yr old female.. But hear me out. I'm very familiar with pharmaceuticals taking them and working in pharmacy. So I take oral Minoxidil now 10mg twice daily I've been on this now for 2mnths total, 6wks at 20mg. I actually take this as a last resort for my chronic high BP. (known side effect) First side effect I noticed right away was the puffy eyes, hooded eyelids, bags under eyes.. Like I haven't slept in weeks.ive asked the Pharmacist and nurses but of course was told this was not a normal side effect.I'm very in tuned with my body.
I didn't notice reduction in BP till the 20mg daily. First month I noticed some hair loss as expected but then now at 8wks Def have body hair growth EVERYWHERE as if a female needs that so much extra work to stay feminine Lol. Also am now having leg swelling, gained 10lbs in month, and decreased libido, occ. heart palpitations . Now I know this is NOT in my head.ive always had a very healthy active sex life . I'm more like a typical guy. Haha. Now I'm finding I'm not as aroused, taking alot more to even get me there, drying me out.I feel like this med may be taking away my life pleasures. I am really hoping this isn't permanent if I go off this, as I am reading from you men.? So for me this is all about weighing out the benefits vs the awful changing into a man side effects. I'm trying to be optimistic about this drug.. As I seem to not have much of a choice right now.so for you people that want hair growth, I'm most positive you will get that reaction from the oral.. Unfortunately that is not my aim :(
Has anyone noticed the water retention going down after 8wks on? Or any solution?