minoxidil doesn't work for me anymore

armin

Reaction score
After using Minoxidil 5% first my hair started growing significantly and everyone thought I was wearing a wig! but after 6 months I experienced severe hair loss and irritation.Then in 2 weeks I lost all my grown hair.
unfortunately after that minoxidil didn't work for me anymore!
Now it's about 6 months that I've started using rogaine foam and the result is not bad but still I lose so much hair and no significant hair growth. I think my hair has become sensitive to minoxidil. I don't know how I can return to those hairy days .
face-icon-small-happy.gif

has anyone had the same experience? any suggestion?

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
yes armin, i have same issue with minoxidil. although i maintained the new growth for two years or so, and then its effect slowly declined. the studies on regaine showed its peak effect to last 48weeks and then the results start to dip very slowly. your dip seems to have happened very soon- maybe you're just going through a shed. i would ride it out. Im sure you've got some good times still to come.

armin

Reaction score
Have you tried finasteride?
Yes, currently I'm using finasteride 1 mg daily and My hair loss has been controlled.
-----
Rogaine Foam: 1x daily
finasteride 1mg : One daily

- - - Updated - - -

yes armin, i have same issue with minoxidil. although i maintained the new growth for two years or so, and then its effect slowly declined. the studies on regaine showed its peak effect to last 48weeks and then the results start to dip very slowly. your dip seems to have happened very soon- maybe you're just going through a shed. i would ride it out. Im sure you've got some good times still to come.
Thanks for your reply. It's good to hear that I'm not alone. What are you using now?

B

Beingbaldsucksass

I'm seeing she'd on temples but I can't tell if it's minoxidil or finasteride releted

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score

This is not a rule. In fact, there is no long-term study on minoxidil that would confirm it. The 1-2 years' studies from the last decade mingle all users together, which is nonsense. After 2 years, the AVERAGE hair count must decrease anyway, because after 2 years the best responders achieve the peak of regrowth, while non-responders continue to lose hair.

The longest studies on minoxidil come from late 80's and their results differ. But at least one-third of patients on 3% minoxidil continued to regrow hair even after 4-5 years. The results on 5% minoxidil may naturally be even better. So, the results are very individual. I have been on minoxidil for nearly 16 years and it would never occur to me that it should stop working. Anecdotal evidence from the internet indicates that I am no exception. There are people maintaining hair on minoxidil for 20+ years.

If you regrew hair and experienced a loss of efficiacy after mere 2 years, then there must be something wrong with you, really. Or maybe you didn't use it properly... Oops! Here we have it:
"I seriously think my hair is heavily dependant on the minoxidil now as if I ever have upto7 days without applying it (say on holiday etc)..."

What the hell do you expect with such a catastrophic discipline, man?! Actually, I stopped taking these fish stories seriously, because they sound very oddly to me, and I think that many other guys, in whom minoxidil mysteriously "stopped working", can blame only theirselves for their laziness. (But they are subsequently very disciplined, when they visit anti-hairloss forums and whine there very regularly almost every day.)

We should always remember that experiences from internet forums are not reliable. In fact, they are heavily skewed. These forums are full of whining guys saying that nobody can keep hair with finasteride for more than 5 years, when in reality, only 4% of responders experience a reversal of the positive trend after 10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

After using Minoxidil 5% first my hair started growing significantly and everyone thought I was wearing a wig! but after 6 months I experienced severe hair loss and irritation.Then in 2 weeks I lost all my grown hair.
unfortunately after that minoxidil didn't work for me anymore!
Now it's about 6 months that I've started using rogaine foam and the result is not bad but still I lose so much hair and no significant hair growth. I think my hair has become sensitive to minoxidil. I don't know how I can return to those hairy days .
face-icon-small-happy.gif

has anyone had the same experience? any suggestion?

I think that you should have continued in the treatment, because the probability that it would lose its efficiacy after mere 6 months - after such a great regrowth - is virtually nil. It was most probably a sudden shed of newly regrown hair with short cycles. Not a long time ago, I read a similar case on another forum. A certain guy experienced excellent regrowth, but he suddenly started to lose his regrown hair after 6 months or so. He panicked, but after several additional months the lost hair started to grow back. It is normal that the newly regrown hair falls out and grows back for several times within a relatively short period. Sometimes the fall out can be more dramatic. But in every new cycle, the hair will become stronger.

I think that your current problems are due to the switch of treatments. I would add finasteride.

armin

Reaction score
WarLord: My hair loss story goes back to 8 years ago when I was 20 years old. during these years I have never stopped my treatment and I've kept using Minoxidil and Finasteride. Also I believe that by this treatment I was successful to maintain my hair so far. But the point is I could never experience that significant hair growth anymore. I have seen people around me with the same issue. For example one of my close friends started his treatment with success and then he lost his all grown hair and then he continued his treatment and one more again the same happened to him!
WarLord: I've always been so optimistic to my treatment and believe me this is a true story. For me, minoxidil lost its effectiveness after a period of time.
----------
Rogaine Foam: 2x daily
finasteride: 1mg daily

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Warlord, while i agree with the things you have written i cant agree with them all. i have applied minoxidil pretty consistently since 2007, twice a day everyday except some days where i have had to miss one of the daily applications due to circumstance, occasionally longer say on holidays as which sad man doesn't want to go into the beach or pool cause he got minoxidil on his head!. the thing is that when i started on minoxidil i was much poorer at applying it, occasionally missing days altogether but it pretty dam worked amazing until the two year mark. but then after this mark things went downhill even tho my applications became more consistent. Im pretty sure most hair doctors will also tell you that minoxidil and finasteride both lose their effectiveness with time as i have read several times. i think you have been one of the lucky ones!
ps warlord your hardly a role model in this as you only apply minoxidil once a day yourself.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Warlord, while i agree with the things you have written i cant agree with them all. i have applied minoxidil pretty consistently since 2007, twice a day everyday except some days where i have had to miss one of the daily applications due to circumstance, occasionally longer say on holidays as which sad man doesn't want to go into the beach or pool cause he got minoxidil on his head!. the thing is that when i started on minoxidil i was much poorer at applying it, occasionally missing days altogether but it pretty dam worked amazing until the two year mark. but then after this mark things went downhill even tho my applications became more consistent. Im pretty sure most hair doctors will also tell you that minoxidil and finasteride both lose their effectiveness with time as i have read several times. i think you have been one of the lucky ones!
ps warlord your hardly a role model in this as you only apply minoxidil once a day yourself.

"Most hair doctors" with a drop of honesty can't tell me this, because they have no representative data that would support such claims. There is no long-term 5+ years' study on minoxidil, and in the only 10-years' study on finasteride that we have, 86% people had persisting positive results. But on this forum, it seems that 90% people can't keep their hair on finasteride after 5 years. And a certain well-known hair chirurgist told me that the treatment in his patients loses efficiacy after 3-5 years. What a load of bullsh*t! The largest studies on finasteride incorporating hundreds of men showed that 90% people had been at or above baseline after 5 years!

Apparently, we can't put much weight on the experience of "most hair doctors" and whining guys from internet forums. You are here and you visit "most hair doctors", because you were a bad responder and you are looking for help. If the stuff worked for you, you wouldn't be here and you wouldn't visit "most hair doctors". Do you understand? The 10-years' finasteride study nicely shows, how rare actually such cases are, and that we must separate the real effectiveness from a heavily skewed internet fiction. In fact, only 4 out of 102 guys on finasteride experienced a reversal of the positive trend during 10 years!

And don't tell me that you are very disciplined. The quoted sentence is in the present tense! If you don't apply it regularly for as much as 7 days in a row, then you should have packed it up since the very beginning. You can't really be a role model for minoxidil users.

Minoxidil can work for eternity, as not only my, but also other experiences show. There are guys using this stuff for 20+ years with success. I have been using it for nearly 16 years and it never showed any signs of decreasing efficiacy. In fact, I learned that the effect was clearly dose-dependent and I can manipulate the dosage according to my needs. I don't think that I could ever lose hair on it, considering that there are already very high, 15% concentrations available (and they are so strong for me that I can't tolerate them). If you can't keep your hair on minoxidil for mere 2 years, then you are either undisciplined or there must be something wrong with your body.

Apparently, we would need some long-term, well-controlled study on minoxidil effectiveness, otherwise we won't get rid of all the myths spread by "most hair doctors" and various hysterical guys on internet forums. Luckily, we at least have one such a study on finasteride.

P.S.: The once-daily application is rational, because the half-life of minoxidil in the skin is 22 hours. The older recommendations were based on the minoxidil's half-life in the blood that is only few hours. Naturally, if you start with the twice-daily application, you will experience a shed after a switch to the once-daily application. Hair dependent on minoxidil will always fall out, if you lower the dosage, irrespectively if the lower dosage were otherwise sufficient.

- - - Updated - - -

WarLord: My hair loss story goes back to 8 years ago when I was 20 years old. during these years I have never stopped my treatment and I've kept using Minoxidil and Finasteride. Also I believe that by this treatment I was successful to maintain my hair so far. But the point is I could never experience that significant hair growth anymore. I have seen people around me with the same issue. For example one of my close friends started his treatment with success and then he lost his all grown hair and then he continued his treatment and one more again the same happened to him!
WarLord: I've always been so optimistic to my treatment and believe me this is a true story. For me, minoxidil lost its effectiveness after a period of time.
----------
Rogaine Foam: 2x daily
finasteride: 1mg daily

You speak about 6 months of treatment and suddenly you write about 8 years. You write that you are using minoxidil, but then we learn that you are also using finasteride. Or not using anymore? I don't understand, what you mean by this.

The story of your friend is also confusing.

ABJac

Reaction score
This is not a rule. In fact, there is no long-term study on minoxidil that would confirm it. The 1-2 years' studies from the last decade mingle all users together, which is nonsense. After 2 years, the AVERAGE hair count must decrease anyway, because after 2 years the best responders achieve the peak of regrowth, while non-responders continue to lose hair.

The longest studies on minoxidil come from late 80's and their results differ. But at least one-third of patients on 3% minoxidil continued to regrow hair even after 4-5 years. The results on 5% minoxidil may naturally be even better. So, the results are very individual. I have been on minoxidil for nearly 16 years and it would never occur to me that it should stop working. Anecdotal evidence from the internet indicates that I am no exception. There are people maintaining hair on minoxidil for 20+ years.

If you regrew hair and experienced a loss of efficiacy after mere 2 years, then there must be something wrong with you, really. Or maybe you didn't use it properly... Oops! Here we have it:
"I seriously think my hair is heavily dependant on the minoxidil now as if I ever have upto7 days without applying it (say on holiday etc)..."

What the hell do you expect with such a catastrophic discipline, man?! Actually, I stopped taking these fish stories seriously, because they sound very oddly to me, and I think that many other guys, in whom minoxidil mysteriously "stopped working", can blame only theirselves for their laziness. (But they are subsequently very disciplined, when they visit anti-hairloss forums and whine there very regularly almost every day.)

We should always remember that experiences from internet forums are not reliable. In fact, they are heavily skewed. These forums are full of whining guys saying that nobody can keep hair with finasteride for more than 5 years, when in reality, only 4% of responders experience a reversal of the positive trend after 10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that you should have continued in the treatment, because the probability that it would lose its efficiacy after mere 6 months - after such a great regrowth - is virtually nil. It was most probably a sudden shed of newly regrown hair with short cycles. Not a long time ago, I read a similar case on another forum. A certain guy experienced excellent regrowth, but he suddenly started to lose his regrown hair after 6 months or so. He panicked, but after several additional months the lost hair started to grow back. It is normal that the newly regrown hair falls out and grows back for several times within a relatively short period. Sometimes the fall out can be more dramatic. But in every new cycle, the hair will become stronger.

I think that your current problems are due to the switch of treatments. I would add finasteride.

I started using BioMed minoxidil w/ co enzyme solution about 10 months ago. I used it religously and have to this day. most I've missed was maybe 2 days in a row and maybe a week or two total over the 10 month period. Until now, I wouldnt say I had significant regrowth, but I definitely had slight regrowth and complete stabilization with minoxidil. Two or 3 weeks ago, I started shedding relatively quick, and I noticed daily my hair was thinning fast. I have lost absolutely everything I noticeably regrew, and a little more. I shave my head and have a magnified mirror that I study my hair with so I am fairly certain i shed everything minoxidil regrow or was holding in place. Im left with very diffuse, miniaturized temples.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
I started using BioMed minoxidil w/ co enzyme solution about 10 months ago. I used it religously and have to this day. most I've missed was maybe 2 days in a row and maybe a week or two total over the 10 month period. Until now, I wouldnt say I had significant regrowth, but I definitely had slight regrowth and complete stabilization with minoxidil. Two or 3 weeks ago, I started shedding relatively quick, and I noticed daily my hair was thinning fast. I have lost absolutely everything I noticeably regrew, and a little more. I shave my head and have a magnified mirror that I study my hair with so I am fairly certain i shed everything minoxidil regrow or was holding in place. Im left with very diffuse, miniaturized temples.

This is an unusual experience. I don't believe that minoxidil could lose efficiacy after mere 10 months. More probably, it was a temporary shed. You should continue in the treatment and see, what happens. Alternatively, you can add finasteride.

mrfifs

Reaction score
i believe im facing the same problem with you. and its weird that even when i added finasteride into my regime, im still loosing alot of hair. i dont know what to do now actually. im thinking of getting minoxidil 10% now. any views on this?

armin

Reaction score
You speak about 6 months of treatment and suddenly you write about 8 years. You write that you are using minoxidil, but then we learn that you are also using finasteride. Or not using anymore? I don't understand, what you mean by this.

The story of your friend is also confusing.

I meant the first 6 months of my treatment everything was alright but then I couldn't ever received the same result. I use minoxidil and Finasteride together. Which part of my story is confusing? I just don't understand that why minoxidil stopped working after a period of time.
Thanks

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently stopped using the big 3 for 6 months, and yeah its 100% minoxidil needs to be used if you still want to keep those new hairs.

I only stopped it since I was not getting any gains at all if anything it looked like it stopped working for a few weeks so caved in and stopped it all, but now im not sure it could have just been a hair phase or a shed even.

My advise keep up the treatments best you can, even in lower dosages... the big 3 is still the only key to keeping whats left on top of our heads and it looks like apart from concealers or hair transplant, its the only real option left for us balding guys

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
I meant the first 6 months of my treatment everything was alright but then I couldn't ever received the same result. I use minoxidil and Finasteride together. Which part of my story is confusing? I just don't understand that why minoxidil stopped working after a period of time.
Thanks

Your story is totally confusing. You have maintained your hair on minoxidil+finasteride for 8 years, yet now you are losing it? But elsewhere you write that you maintain it. Are you sober, seriously? I don't understand virtually anything you write.

I don't believe that minoxidil would stop working after mere 6 months. There must have been some other factor.

- - - Updated - - -

For example one of my close friends started his treatment with success and then he lost his all grown hair and then he continued his treatment and one more again the same happened to him!

What? He interrupted the treatment with minoxidil? Then he would probably end up like Kojak very quickly. And after a break, he continued again, regrew hair, but again lost it?

Please sit to your computer and try to enlighten your confused story.

Furthermore, I would have a very important note: Many guys here speak about a significant regrowth on minoxidil. Since I suppose that they don't speak about a regrowth of 1/2 inch hair in temples (which happens only rarely with minoxidil), I assume that they were Norwood 3/4, when they started. I emphasized for several times that the group "young men with an advanced stage of hairloss" is at the highest risk, as for the loss of the treatment's efficiacy. Common sense tells me that you should begin immediately, after you observe first signs of hair loss. And if the treatment works, then you shouldn't lose more than that 1/2 inch of hair (which was my case).