Minoxidil Dark Circles Under Eye Side Effect

James C

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil causing dark circles under my eyes, what's the best cream to get rid of it?

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is no cream that can remove dark circles. You can use bb cream to cover it, or caffeine which restricts blood vessels temporarily for a couple of hours. But aside from that you're fucked, sodomised one might say. Unlucky. The only treatment for dark circles is hyaluronic acid injections done very 6 to 9 months.

Pazzini86

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get out more and stare less at screens (like i'm doing right now).

Yeah...or turn back time but that's pretty hard. It may help though. I have them too.

Tinkwetax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I found that applying it on my head 3-4 hours before going to bed worked wonders for the dark circles and now I don't have them anymore. By the time I'm asleep it's bone dry and I'm not wiping my face with it on my pillow. Also make sure you wash your face completely after applying it.

8thgen

Reaction score
Tretinoin, dead serious.

Tret is the only reason I started minoxidil again. Taking 5mg oral min, with 0.1% tret; face looks young as ever with zero wrinkles and no dark circles.

8thgen

Reaction score
More details about the tretinoin pls

What made you want to take it? Where do yiu get it from and how much does it cost per month? Thanks

1) It's only thing that actually reverses aging.

2) Get it prescribed from your doctor. You can start with 0.025%, then 0.05%, until eventually you use a pea sized amount of 0.1% every night (max dose)

3) In Canada, I can get the generic version for like $20/month supply for 0.025% and 0.05%. For the 0.1%, you have to buy the brand name Retin-A, which is $72, but last like 2.5 months (Costco prices).

More info:
Dr. Dray is pretty much the expert people on the internet defer to.

also check out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/tretinoin/

Edit: Also look up studies that combine tretinoin with minoxidil. They work synergistically so that tretinoin turns minoxidil non-responders into responders, and potentiates the hair growth effects of minoxidil.

Last edited:

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Retin A (tretinoin) definitely does help anti-aging and I've been using it for years, although putting it under your f^cking eyes is another matter as the skin is very sensitive if anything it will flare up and cause redness. The only real solution is Hyaluronic Acid injections under the eyes, that's what hollywood do.

8thgen

Reaction score
Honestly, I've been putting the 0.1% directly under my eyes (and even on the tops of my eyelids), with no problem, and I've only been using tretinoin for three weeks now. However, I am an outlier as my skin has always been very healthy. Also, I will admit that I had initial irritation, but once your face goes through the retinization period, you can go to town with tretinoin.

But for those getting into it, you are never supposed to put it directly under the eyes initially (or right under your nose, or at the sides of your lips). It will spread there on its own as you sleep. A lot of people just put it on the thicker parts of their skin initially, then use moisturizer to dilute the tretinol and spread it all over the place.

If you really wanna get rid of the dark circles (or other hyper pigmentation), you can also use a strong vitamin C serum. Products from ordinary are cult favourites among redditors because of their quality ingredients are barebones pricing:

https://theordinary.deciem.com/product/rdn-vitamin-c-suspension-23pct-ha-spheres-2pct-30ml

You should also use a solid facial moisturizer. The cult fav among redditors is Cerave PM lotion:

https://www.cerave.ca/our-products/moisturizers/pm-facial-moisturizing-lotion

Cerave is also a cult fav brand for the same reason as the ordinary. I use Cerave SA cream for my face (commonly referred to as "Cerave in the tub"), but that can be too intense for the face as it is intended for the body. My skin can handle it, but many break out.

https://www.cerave.ca/our-products/moisturizers/sa-cream-for-rough-and-bumpy-skin

While you're at it, you should also grab a gentle Cerave cleanser. If Cerave products do not agree with your skin, try its counterpart Cetaphil.

I've had dark circles under my eyes all my life, and minoxidil made them 200% worse. My regimen of 0.1% Tretinoin, vitamin C, and the Cerave products have made the skin under my under eye lighter then they have ever been in my entire life....by a lot. And that is s big deal, especially considering that all the skin on my face went about 3 shades lighter. (I am South Asian btw).

Cheers.

Edit: I will warn any who want to actually take the meaningful steps above to get rid of their dark eye circles, that you should treat this journey the same way you treat your hair loss journey. Research the crap out of everything. If you think people vary a lot based on their results to hairloss treatments, you'll be blown away at the variability of people's facial skin to different products. Expect lots of breaking out, burning, peeling, pimples, etc. The products I listed should be safe though, and pretty much all you need for 90% of the max results you can attain.

Like Min/finasteride, Tretinoin takes a minimum of three months to see some results, and a full year to see full results. Also, from week 1 to week 12 (longer or shorter for some people), much like shedding with finasteride/min, Tretinoin will turn your face red, make your skin peel, cause breakouts and make some look awful. Also like min/finasteride, you have to take Tretinoin everyday for the rest of your life.

You will also HAVEEE to start using sunscreen on your face everyday...even in the winter. So start to researching sunscreens because what you get in Canada/U.S. wont cut it for proper UVA and UVB filters. Get used to looking at European, or better yet, Japanese sunscreens. Pro tip: Rohoto Skin Aqua Super Moisture Milk SPF50 PA++++ are among the cult faves.

*No sunscreen while using Tretinoin = easier sunburn, hyperpigmentation, extreme dark eye circles, etc.

Get comfortable browsing: https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/

Last edited:

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've tried Vitamin C for years and it did jack sh*t for me but may work for some. I am a big fan of niacanamide though which has some good studies behind it.

I have never tried Cerave but the ingredients including hyaluronic acid speak for themselves and great for moisturising your skin. Turns out it has niacanamide as well.

8thgen

Reaction score
I've used Vitamin C for about a month now, with some positive results.

However, in the past week, I began using 4X the amount (4 pumps instead of one). I use it just out of the shower (and after shaving), when my face is a bit moist and boy does it sting.

I've since noticed that my skin got much brighter and more youthful. People even started commenting on it. YMMV, but this was my experience.

Vitamin C is one of the few things that has scientific backing, and tons of anecdotal evidence. People say that it can take a few months to start seeing results so you have to be patient. For some, I guess it may not work.

Additional Skin Tips:
On a side note, there is a study that indicated an abundance of fruits and vegetables increased the attractiveness of individuals to a statistically significant amount, after 6 weeks. I noticed this in my skin as well.

To take max advantage of this, I have since started drinking 2lbs of fresh carrot juice a day (beta carotene), eating a can of tomato paste (Lycopene), and tons of dark green leafy vegetables (Lutein + zeaxanthin). These are three sources of non-provitamin A, and provitamin A. I have since noticed my face has started to take on a warm healthy almost tan glow (it has been 1 week).

I use the the carrot juice as a base for a smoothie with some Kale, lots of spinach, a bit of chard/collard greens, lots of blueberries, and a bit of avocado. The tomato paste I usually use as a base for a sauce, or just eat it out of the can tbh (I like how it tastes).

The above adds like 600cals to my diet, but I think it has really helped maximize my hair regrowth.

Of course, I think you can get away with just munching on a few carrots, and taking a tablespoon or two of tomato paste, with a green smoothie. I just love the taste of everything.

Edit: If experimenting with lots of vitamin A, DO NOT SMOKE. A study linked a huge increase in deaths for smokers who supplemented with beta carotene.

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds good. I've been using the 10% niacanamide + zinc from The Ordinary, and the Kiehl's Vitamin C. I use Dermalogica Skin Smoothing Cream as moisturiser (has hy. acid and vitamin C).

I've tried a sh*t load of products: The Ordinary Buffet (has Matrixl which is good more for anti ageing), The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin, The Ordinary Azelaic Acid which is good for pigmentation but never tried it under the eyes, Cosrx overnight rice mask which has niacanamide, The Inkey List tranexamic acid a more recent quite promising compound which has studies showing whitening with less irritation, The Ordinary Caffeine solution which is good for temporary effect of reducing dark circles for a few hours when going out. And probably about a dozen more.I also have The Ordinary retinol with squalane on order to use test under the eyes.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you don't want to risk puffy eyes or dark circles, go on castor oil instead of minoxidil

Take it orally and apply it topically.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tretinoin, dead serious.

Tret is the only reason I started minoxidil again. Taking 5mg oral min, with 0.1% tret; face looks young as ever with zero wrinkles and no dark circles.

Tretinoin is not powerful enough against the collagen depletion effects of minoxidil

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very few things will help dark circles. It's caused by sunken skin. Only remedy are fillers.

8thgen

Reaction score
Tret's effect under your eyes will depend on your genetics, regimen, dose of tret, dose of minoxidil, etc. It may work, or it may not. It worked for me.

If concerned, you can always start at 0.01% once a week mixed with a buffer, and work your way up to 0.025%, then 0.05% and finally 0.1% every night with no buffer over the course of years. You might even stop at a dosage that gets you your results. Personally, I would consult with a dermatologist if super concerned.

It's true that for some, 0.1% tretinoin can never be applied directly under their eyes. These people tend to have thin and/or sensitive skin, use make-up or other products frequently, and don't use SPF properly. It may also have to do with other things like your diet, genetics, etc.. Never apply 0.1% tret directly under your eyes without building up to that dose.

Cheers.