minoxidil causing seborrheic-dermatitis?

niko2525

Reaction score
I had been using a generic minoxidil for abou 5 months and had no problems, my hair was growing back and worked great. I would hav some white flakes but i figured it was just the dried solution. About a week my head started itching alot, and from scratching i was able to pick off yellowish scales off my skin, like if oil had dried up on my scalp.

It seems I have seborrheic dermatitis, all my symptoms point to that. But i've never had dandruff problems before, ever. and no one in m family does either.

It has made most of my scalp red and itchy and even after using shampoo and drying my hair, its as oily as ever. It has made my hair fall out extremely fast and looks worse now then before i started using minoxidil.

So what gives? is it the minoxidil that is causing my scalp to do this, i was fine for months before this happened. ive reduced my use of it to once every other day now, and its still no relief.

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You will need a good shampoo or that. Over the counter shampoo will not help you so you will have to see a dermatoligest or that.
He or she will give you one that works well. Mine gave me one with
tar sal acid and sulpher

G

it can be Glycole Propylenic, that Minoxidil contains
Try to change version

niko2525

Reaction score
i just bought Nizoral shampo today, and it seems to have helped allready. my skin is definately less irritated. so should i stop using (i use a generic minoxidil) until my scalp clears up or should i just stop it all together, if my scalp is going to shed hair this rapidly, from what im assuming is inflammation, id rather not use minoxidil at all.

i wasnt having reactions to it for months untill the last few weeks.

hopewas

Reaction score
i had the same problem..try using the rogaine foam ..it doesn't leave your skin dry and flaky

niko2525

Reaction score
effin scalp. weeks later using nizoral and im still having wicked dandruff.

i was hoping that after nearly of month of being off minoxidil and taking care of my scalp that it would clear up better than this.

and after leaving nizoral in my hair for 5 minutes, when i go to wash it out, i lose alot of hair. i regret the day i touched that minoxidil, i wasnt too sure i was originally losing hair due to male pattern baldness, but used it anyway.

niko2525

Reaction score
not using minoxidil, tried using foam made my skin irritated as well. No longer any flakes, skin has cleared up nicely. Still shedding hair like crazy, for months now. crown area very thin, as is entire scalp, alot of hair loss on the sides of my head by my ear. f***.

Mehmet1234

My Regimen
Reaction score
not using minoxidil, tried using foam made my skin irritated as well. No longer any flakes, skin has cleared up nicely. Still shedding hair like crazy, for months now. crown area very thin, as is entire scalp, alot of hair loss on the sides of my head by my ear. f***.
Please I need help! I used minoxidil for a month. I left using it because I got sexual sides... not a lie! 2 weeks after without using it my scalp started to be really oily and itchy. It has been more than a month now without minoxidil. My scalp is really oily and itchy, also have dandruff. I never had this problem in my life. I left minoxidil and this happened. Please help me. I use sebum regulator shampoo which only help for a day. The next day my scalp is the same

Mehmet1234

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had been using a generic minoxidil for abou 5 months and had no problems, my hair was growing back and worked great. I would hav some white flakes but i figured it was just the dried solution. About a week my head started itching alot, and from scratching i was able to pick off yellowish scales off my skin, like if oil had dried up on my scalp.

It seems I have seborrheic dermatitis, all my symptoms point to that. But i've never had dandruff problems before, ever. and no one in m family does either.

It has made most of my scalp red and itchy and even after using shampoo and drying my hair, its as oily as ever. It has made my hair fall out extremely fast and looks worse now then before i started using minoxidil.

So what gives? is it the minoxidil that is causing my scalp to do this, i was fine for months before this happened. ive reduced my use of it to once every other day now, and its still no relief.
Please I need help! I used minoxidil for a month. I left using it because I got sexual sides... not a lie! 2 weeks after without using it my scalp started to be really oily and itchy. It has been more than a month now without minoxidil. My scalp is really oily and itchy, also have dandruff. I never had this problem in my life. I left minoxidil and this happened. Please help me. I use sebum regulator shampoo which only help for a day. The next day my scalp is the same

Energz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, yes, your skin is dry and itchy if you use liquid minoxidil containing propylene glycon which should increase absorption.

"The liquid formulation contains propylene glycol, water, and alcohol. Propylene glycol is needed as a vehicle to solve minoxidil. However, most of the adverse reactions are related to hypersensitivity of propylene glycol. Itching, contact dermatitis and squamation of the scalp are attributed to propylene glycol content of topical minoxidil solution. With these aesthetic concerns, the topical foam of minoxidil was developed, which is propylene glycol-free. In the literature, there is no comparative study between the two formulations in humans. In an animal study, the foam formulation was found as effective as the liquid formulation."

For more: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3179030/

Get minoxidil without propylene glycon and use dermaroller for increased absorption or you can just use nizoral and see if it helps your dry skin.