minoxidil Burns?

bombscience

Reaction score
Hey all, I have heard a lot of people mention Minoxidil "Burns" or that minoxidil "burns their skin".

Now, I know about the normal irriration one might get from minoxidil, but a "burn" sounds like something chemically burning your skin. Can someone explain this term, or is it just a buzzword?

G

Ive only heard about this from people who use minoxidil with PPG. I think it just means that minoxidil irritates your scalp, doesent burn it per se.

Cassin

Reaction score
When I first started getting minoxidil irritation I was scrathcing my scalp ALOT. No doubt this made things worse on those areas. Eventualy those spots would burn a little when minoxidil was applied. I haven't scrathed my scalp in awhile and the burning went away. Itching the scalp is bad news. It may make it feel better for awhile, but in the long run it's trouble.

Still fighting the irritation though.

I noticed my 2% minoxidil that I apply on workdays in the morning has 60% PPG VS the 50% in the 5%. I might drop the 2% completely.

Bomb what do you think about the absorbtion of the Dr Lee PPG free stuff? You would think Rogaine would make a PPG free product and hike up the cost if it worked well, or at least somebody besides Dr Lee would anyway. Maybe Upjohn just doesn't want to put it into FDA trials because of cost. I am considering trying this eventually if this irritation doesn't improve. This is my bigest concern about PPG free minoxidil.

G

cassin

my itchy, flaky red scalp has 95% cleared up since I stopped using T/Gel.

It might be worth cutting it out for a few days to see if it is having an effect with minoxidil?

Ty

bombscience

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Bomb what do you think about the absorbtion of the Dr Lee PPG free stuff? You would think Rogaine would make a PPG free product and hike up the cost if it worked well, or at least somebody besides Dr Lee would anyway. Maybe Upjohn just doesn't want to put it into FDA trials because of cost. I am considering trying this eventually if this irritation doesn't improve. This is my bigest concern about PPG free minoxidil.

PPG is a main igredient in minoxidil becuase it improves the shelf-life of the product while still providing a transport mechanism for the medication. Basically it's used so bottles of rogaine can sit on the shelf for a year and still be "fresh".

If you read about Dr. Lee's new 15% minoxidil you'll notice it has 20% Gylcerin (what is in PG-Free minoxidil). He mentions that it serves a good transport mechanism for the product.

G

PPG is a main igredient in minoxidil becuase it improves the shelf-life of the product while still providing a transport mechanism for the medication. Basically it's used so bottles of rogaine can sit on the shelf for a year and still be "fresh".

Yeah and Kirkland has even more PPG in it than Rogaine/ Regaine...my latest box of Kirkland has a use by date of May 2006.

HairNewbie

Reaction score
Reactions..

I think the reactions are decided on a person by person basis. Some people have a natural sensitivity to different chemicals. I've heard stories about people being highly sensitive to minoxidil, burning, etc.. as well as the other medications.

I myself have never used a product, and went straight to minoxidil 5%.. It was slightly itchy the first day, and has never bothered me since. I have used folligen and it does sting a bit at the start (and i've just started both), and after about a week it still gives a little sting..

I've also heard people saying they couldnt tolerate nizoral, but I've put it in my hair for 5mins at a time 3times now and it never bothered me once. I guess I am not hyper sensitive to these medications, and some other people are.

Redbone

Reaction score
Lee says the increase in PPG makes the hair more greasy or the absence of PPG and Glycerin makes the hair more greasy one of the two. He suggests using the PPG formula if you can tolerate it as it does not make your hair greasier.