Minoxidil application once a day or two?

Everest

Reaction score
I've been using rogaine foam for around 4 months now once a day. I noticed some vellus hairs turn thicker on the temple areas and my hair on my scalp turn thicker. But my hairline still seem to be losing hair from my hairline and can count like 20 hairs in the sink each application. would increasing the application to twice a day provide better results?
Currently i use the minoxidil all over the top of my head because i was thinning on top as well.

ldk13

Reaction score
It probably will increase the amount of hair you grow back, especially since they recommend you to use it twice a day. But I have heard people use it once a day and have good results.

All_The_Above

Established Member
Reaction score
I moved from twice a day to once a day about six months ago to save money on using the foam in the morning and my hair took quite a hit. Could just be a coincidence though. Regardless, I'm getting back on the foam in the morning and continuing the liquid at night.

Everest

Reaction score
It probably will increase the amount of hair you grow back, especially since they recommend you to use it twice a day. But I have heard people use it once a day and have good results.
Just out of curiosity,are you also using rogaine? how much hairs do you notice in the sink after each application? and are you using anything else alongside it as well?
I moved from twice a day to once a day about six months ago to save money on using the foam in the morning and my hair took quite a hit. Could just be a coincidence though. Regardless, I'm getting back on the foam in the morning and continuing the liquid at night.
Are you using anything else alongside rogaine? how much hairs do you notice in the sink after each application? although i've been using it once a day, I have noticed discolouration under my eyes. I'm worried that if I bump it up to twice a day it will make it even worse considering i'm gettin discolouration by using it once a day only.

All_The_Above

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you using anything else alongside rogaine? how much hairs do you notice in the sink after each application? although i've been using it once a day, I have noticed discolouration under my eyes. I'm worried that if I bump it up to twice a day it will make it even worse considering i'm gettin discolouration by using it once a day only.

Yes, I am also taking .5mg Dutasteride every night and I take these pills called Maxi Hair twice a day. I took Nizoral awhile back but stopped it because it was thinning my hair.

Since moving to once a day Minoxidil, my hair has definitely looked thinner. It could be a million other reasons because I am often tweaking my routine. Anyway, I'm going to go back to twice a day for a few months and see what happens. I just wish the foam wasn't so expensive.

To answer another one of your questions, during my entire process of losing hair, I have rarely ever noticed a lot, if any, hairs falling out during shampooing or at any time. My hair just gets thinner and thinner.

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
I too went to once a day (at night) a few months back and my hair got quite a bit thinner. After a month of trying once a day I switched back to twice a day, but have yet to get to the point I was before going to once a day.

It seems like most people are loosing ground if they switch to minoxidil once a day, so I would not recommend doing it.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Definitely twice a day application is neccessary, don't listen to the anecdotal stories here supporting once a day, your hairline will take a hit.

However as a NW3 receder myself, I feel it my duty to tell you that not even religious 2 x a day minoxidil application, along with Nizoral and other topicals will likely be enough to save your hairline.

I tried that regimen non-stop for over 15 months, but still lost ground at the front. male pattern baldness in that region is just too aggressive and if you want to see significant result there, you need more than just groth stimulants, So, much as it does really suck, you need a 5-AR inhibitor like Finasteride to stop the rot... that is, if you want to maintain your hairline, if not it will continue to recede despite all that effort with the minoxidil.

beaner

Reaction score
Definitely twice a day application is neccessary, don't listen to the anecdotal stories here supporting once a day, your hairline will take a hit.

You tell him not to listen to antecdotal stories, yet this statement is purely based on antecdotal stories. There is scientific evidence that once a day application is quite effective.
Twice a day application is not necessary to achieve results and that is a fact. I would not necessarily recommend dropping to once a day if one has been on twice a day for a while, but to initiate treatment with once a day applications can certainly be quite effective.

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
twice is required I would say

I tried increasing the dosage from 5L twice a day to 10L twice a day and it made no difference really., gave up after 3 months since no further improvement could be seen.