Minoxidil - any point in a slaphead like me trying?!

slaphead

Reaction score
Well, I'm probably FAR more 'advanced', balding wise than most of you out there :D (started shaving my head about 3 years ago now after having used concealers for about 6 years! - Now lost about 90% of my hair!):

So - at this VERY late stage, I was wondering if there is ANy point at all in taking a topical 5% Minoxidil? Am I 'too far gone' to benefit at all? Much that I'm delighted that I'm 'over' the hairloss depression, I would still like to maybe 'try'.........(?Mug, or what?!) :) :oops:

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Slaphead

P.S: Having sadi all of the above - to those suffering mentally here over their hairloss: If I say so myself, I was a very good looking young man and attracted a lot of female attention 8) (just being honest) :roll: . I was VERY paranoid about my hairloss. My worlds 'fell apart through it. :cry: BUT, years ago I met my wife (I was using concealers at that point). After a few weeks she asked me what was 'different' about my hair. :? VERY nervously I 'admitted' the concealer thing to her. she understood totally and appreciated my honesty about it and how I felt about hairloss. We got married....and she's STUNNING :D :D :D :D and we're very happy. It's NOT the end of the world guys. NO-ONE will say it's an easy thing to go through - but you WILL get over it - and it's NOT the end of the world. GOOD LUCK! 8)

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
slaphead said:
Well, I'm probably FAR more 'advanced', balding wise than most of you out there :D (started shaving my head about 3 years ago now after having used concealers for about 6 years! - Now lost about 90% of my hair!):

So - at this VERY late stage, I was wondering if there is ANy point at all in taking a topical 5% Minoxidil? Am I 'too far gone' to benefit at all? Much that I'm delighted that I'm 'over' the hairloss depression, I would still like to maybe 'try'.........(?Mug, or what?!) :) :oops:

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Honestly slaphead, I don't believe you would benefit much at all from using Rogaine. Rogaine most likely won't help with a large area since you would need to apply it everywhere and probably wouldn't grow that much hair.
It would however be interesting if you really wanted to see any results to see if you were to get on the Big 3. That would cost time and money and may not be something you would be willing to invest in. If your happy now, thats great. Enjoy it! It doesn't seem that your hairloss is that big of anymore.

slaphead

Reaction score
dem said:
slaphead said:

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Honestly slaphead, I don't believe you would benefit much at all from using Rogaine. Rogaine most likely won't help with a large area since you would need to apply it everywhere and probably wouldn't grow that much hair.
It would however be interesting if you really wanted to see any results to see if you were to get on the Big 3. That would cost time and money and may not be something you would be willing to invest in. If your happy now, thats great. Enjoy it! It doesn't seem that your hairloss is that big of anymore.

Thanks for the honest reply Dem :) - as I expected. I'm 37 now and my hair-loss became 'noticeable' when I was about 25. When 28 I began using spray concealers - that were 'ok' - though VERY messy, impractical and they ARE noticeable! :freaked2: (Looking back to old pics from later in the period when I was using it, it looked terrible in retrospect! :freaked2: :freaked2: - Just that most around wouldn't admit to this.) :? Sounds very dramatic, but what 'helped' me was that I moved to a new job hundreds of miles from my home area for a while. 8) When I did this, I started just shaving my head. Was a bit odd going out like this at times, but I got used to it :) .

Thanks again for your comments - appreciated. I'm just glad that a shaved head is hardly 'rare' out there anymore, with changing fashions. (If it was the 80's, I'd probably be on a Charlton sweep! :hairy: :freaked2:

P.S: What are 'the big 3"(?)

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
The big 3 include
1. Finasteride/Dutasteride
2. minoxidil
3. Nizoral -shampoo

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
slaphead,
though it is unlikely it is not ruled out. If you are a great responder and if you r follicles are alive then you can grow hair.
Start dutasteride/finasteride, minoxidil, nizoral and sods asap.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tembo, I am waiting for the 3 months mark (Sept 23).
I am not sure if there is any significant cosmetid difference

G

Techprof,

You are waiting for the 3 month mark on what? finasteride?

BTW thanks a lot for the advice.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
badass, you are welcome.
I had 4000 grafts strip surgery on June 23. My doctor is Dr. Arwind Poswal from Delhi.

slaphead

Reaction score
Gents - WHAT an excellent forum! Those of us 'all in the same boat' can make the problem seem so much smaller. :) MANY thanks for the advice (which I will reciprocate when I can) 8)

slaphead

Reaction score
OMG!!!!!

That's absolutely incredible. Like most though - (and NO offence to the guy at all) am a tad skeptical:

Did the guy have male pattern baldness or some other kind of hairloss (eg: universalis caused by stress etc). Anyway - am DELIGHTED for the guy! Incredible stuff - whatever kind of hairloss it was! (And hope for us all if it indeed was male pattern baldness!) :)

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
hey slaphead,i dunno if youve seen joebs pics but he has had some great results

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... highlight=

if you decide to get on the big three,its cheap and could be looked upon as a hobby/experiment since you dont seem to mind too much about your hairloss

:lol: :hairy:

slaphead

Reaction score
libertine said:
hey slaphead,i dunno if youve seen joebs pics but he has had some great results

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... highlight=

if you decide to get on the big three,its cheap and could be looked upon as a hobby/experiment since you dont seem to mind too much about your hairloss

:lol: :hairy:

WOW! THAT is what I call GOOD results! Well done that man. Thanks for that link - inspirational! I may well go for 'The Big Three' after all and will post on here how I got on. My hair loss is approx at the level of his - (hard to tell as my dome's been shaved for so long!).

You're right in that (by my tone) I'm not overly 'bothered' by my hair loss - or at least not even 1% as much as I was before. It's all a journey....though I would imagine that 100% of guys with hair loss would love it reversed - IRRELEVANt of what we may say! (Just ask a guy who's lost a leg if he'd like it back!)

Thanks again and GOOd LUCK

Slaphead