minoxidil and the weirdness of chest pain.

bobaf88

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 2% Minoxidil would be worth using with Finasteride at all? Anyone here a regular who has used the 2% in conjunction with Finasteride with success?

I had a weird experience with 5%. I used it when I was a NW2 from about age 19 to 25, then all of a sudden, I started getting chest pain in the left side of my chest -- mild to maaaaybe what could be called moderate, more of a stinging semi-sharpness. So I quit on that and then lost all the progress from years past. I ordered 5% again to see if it still happened, and yup, one application of 1ml leads to a few days of the mild chest pain. So now I've ordered the 2. Tried dialing the 5 back to .50 ml and still same results.

The chest pain isn't actually bad enough for me to quit off that alone if I were guaranteed to remain healthy. I just figure my system is trying to tell me something, although nobody's quite explained to me how it works that you get chest pain from fast absorption -- especially if blood pressure is normal.

I've monitored my system and don't get it. My blood pressure is mid 120s/80. The only thing that's strange about my "routine" is that I do guzzle strong coffee all day, which could act as a contrast.

youngn

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 2% Minoxidil would be worth using with Finasteride at all? Anyone here a regular who has used the 2% in conjunction with Finasteride with success?

Please be careful. Minoxidil has a known affect on heart. There are studies showing its affect on blood pressure and heart rate. After all it was originally used for heart disease and is a calcium channel blocker. Notice that Rogaine was meant for vertex usage and not to be spread over your whole head. Spreading 5% over your whole head is probably increasing absorption and 2% is a better choice. 2% also has a better solvent profile. High alcohol and low propylene glycol is much better than high propylene glycol (again there is a study comparing this). In short, definitely try 2%.

bobaf88

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not going to play with it very much, at least not to that capacity. Heart health is more important to me than hair.

What I was thinking about doing is applying the least amount possible to the front only to "reinforce" the finasteride I'm going to be taking, and then let the finasteride work its wonders (I hope) on the back.

Is this a sound plan? Do we really the need the full 1ml for it to function, or could I apply ..say, 0.25 ml twice a day to the front alone to be safe -- and still effective?

I'm not sure about the "rules," but it seems like flowering a plant to me. As long as there's a coating on the place you want it to grow, it should do what it needs to do. But could use advice on this as to the efficacy.