Minoxidil and Redness / Burning feeling (pictures)

Sativa

Reaction score
So I bought a 6 months supply of kirkland minoxidil liquid 5%, and been using it on my hairline for a little over a month. Everything was going great, a little itch and slightly red at times, but not very noticeable at all till a week ago where it got pretty bad. It got really red, itchy and felt a burning feeling or yeah after applying it. (I didn't notice anything the day before). So I stopped for 3 days and it got better pretty quick. So applied it again last night, and it got red/itchy again. Pics are taken today just out of the shower with slightly wet hair combed backwards (Not how I wear my hair normally :p )

So now what? I guess some will recommend I jump on minoxidil foam, but it's well more expensive than liquid form i'm guessing, and as i'm studying, I would prefer a cheaper alternative. Hoping I wont have to quit, since i've noticed really tiny hairs coming along the hairline (or I just havent noticed them before).

Took a couple of pics for comparison later on and just uploaded them all, but the redness is most noticeable in the last picture if you cant be arsed looking at them all.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5384/001dnww.jpg

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8163/002wsg.jpg

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6408/003yfc.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3803/005gnc.jpg

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/1386/008is.jpg

Edit: Oh I guess I should add that I use the full dosage (1 ml was it?) on my hairline alone leaving it really soaking wet. Could this be the problem? Though, it said to use 1ml everytime.

joesmith

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I think there are quite some people allegic to PG (propylene glycol). Not sure the issue here is caused by PG. Foam seems better, but some folks also mentioned some minoxidil is lost on hair when applying foam. in addition, some do not have good response to foam compared to liquid form.
There are alternative products though that free of PG. My friend just got one from Amazon called Tribooster for men:http://www.amazon.com/TriBooster-Me...1360127244&sr=1-1&keywords=tribooster+for+men
He mentioned this one is without PG and have many additional good ingredients such as Azelaic Acid, Saw palmetto DHT Blockers, Coenzyme Q10, Biotin, Vitamin, Amino Acids. The price is a little higher than kirkland though. I will have more information after his trial.

georgebrown

Reaction score
Agree. Very rare are people allergic to minoxidil. Try something without PG and see if problem solved.

Sativa

Reaction score
you dont think this could be prevented if i added nizoral perhaps? or maybe used a smaller dosage? 1ml seemed like an awful lot for only my hairline/temples.
And how much more expensive are products without propylene glycol?

Thinking of just throwing in the towel and stop battling my hair loss to be honest.

Sativa

Reaction score
using 1/4 ml once a day and it got a lot better. Gonna up it to twice a day soon and after that to ½ ml. Adding the full ml on hairline alone seems to be overdoing it.

Got another question though: The scalp is not so red anymore, though, its kind of course/rough where I add the minoxidil even after shower. (English is 3rd language so no idea really how to describe this properly). Is this normal?

seeves

Reaction score
I have been using kirkland minoxidil since about 2006 or so and it still occasionally irriatates my scalp making it red and itchy. I have found that using apple cider vinegar on my scalp helps make my head feel better. I just spray the apple cider on my scalp about an hour before a shower and it really soothes my head. Also Sativa, you might want to consider going with the foam since it has less irritant ingredients in it than the liquid. Btw the foam is now available in Kirkland brand and it only runs about $60 or so for six months worth. Hope this helps.

Sativa

Reaction score
I have been using kirkland minoxidil since about 2006 or so and it still occasionally irriatates my scalp making it red and itchy. I have found that using apple cider vinegar on my scalp helps make my head feel better. I just spray the apple cider on my scalp about an hour before a shower and it really soothes my head. Also Sativa, you might want to consider going with the foam since it has less irritant ingredients in it than the liquid. Btw the foam is now available in Kirkland brand and it only runs about $60 or so for six months worth. Hope this helps.

Cheers for the reply. Was not aware of the foam edition being that cheap, so will be grabbing some asap :)
Guess I could throw in an update: I kept on using minoxidil even though my scalp was very irritated, but reduced the amount i used. Scalp got better, and am now using a full ml in morning and night.

Been on propecia for 2 years, and on kirkland liquid minoxidil since january 2013. Been very busy with life these past months, so havent really checked if my hair got better, but i did look the other day under strong light, and noticed i have grown a ****load of hair in temple area (i only apply minoxidil to hairline since im only receeding). Hoping these fine hair will eventually grow thicker. Will post some before/after pictures soon.

I have one last question. Going to the hairdresser is quite awkward with a flaky scalp.. i normally just stop using minoxidil 2-3 days before going to the hairdresser, and start again after haircut. How do you guys handle this?

rcom440

Reaction score
sometimes your skin may be sensitive to Alcohol or minoxidil itself. Before go to bed use some good cream right bellow your hairline where the redness accrue. It should help

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will say what I use to stop this itching and flakiness. I use Rogaine foam in the day and Rogaine liquid in the night, and I shampoo with chemical free shampoo every day twice a day. No itchiness, no dryness, no flakes. I used to get really bad flakes and itchiness when I used Kirkland's minoxidil liquid twice a day.