Minoxidil and pre-mature face Aging?

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most mid-late 20s I know do have some fine lines, but you'd have to look to notice it. I have them under my eyes and a couple on my forehead, but I did take a couple nasty sunburns while hiking, horseback riding, rock-climbing, etc. in the mountains these last couple years. I've since taken up religious wearing of sunscreen; rain or shine.

what sunscreen do you wear? is it one of those ones that last all day?

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive recently quit minoxidil after using it for 4 years, due to the skin side effects. Trust me, I tried everything to combat it, but simply quitting minoxidil fixed the issue very quickly. Id always suggest trying it, because it did wonders for my hair. But if you notice anything bad skinwise, quit the stuff quick.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive recently quit minoxidil after using it for 4 years, due to the skin side effects. Trust me, I tried everything to combat it, but simply quitting minoxidil fixed the issue very quickly. Id always suggest trying it, because it did wonders for my hair. But if you notice anything bad skinwise, quit the stuff quick.

thats an interesting point you made because if it resolved when you quit--then its not 'aging'

I think its dehydration or even bloating of the skin.

Its heart medicine--doesnt it cause these kind of fluctuations with fluids if prone to it or using a higher percentage or dosage (depending on your system)?

I use 5% once a day and i dont see any negative changes.

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
thats an interesting point you made because if it resolved when you quit--then its not 'aging'

I think its dehydration or even bloating of the skin.

Its heart medicine--doesnt it cause these kind of fluctuations with fluids if prone to it or using a higher percentage or dosage (depending on your system)?

I use 5% once a day and i dont see any negative changes.

Sorry, by very quickly, I mean the wrinkles took mabye 3 months to fade after stopping, however, the bloating disappeared in like 4 days. I was drinking like 12 glasses of water at one point to try and combat it. I would have loved to stay on min but couldn't ignore these skin sides.

Miguel1984

Reaction score
I have been using Minoxidil for over 10 years (since I was 23 years old) and in the last few years got these dark patches under my eyes and my wife says I always look tired. I am a workaholic, but no matter how much rest and sleep and facial treatments I get, this tiredness doesn't seem to get off my face. It seems that the skin under the eyes has become much thinner. Still have good hair though.

andromy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using Minoxidil for 2 years. I can't deny that I've gotten a few fine lines under my eyes but that could be just me getting older. I started drinking a lot more water (a gallon/day) a few months ago and the change has been minimal.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using Minoxidil for over 10 years (since I was 23 years old) and in the last few years got these dark patches under my eyes and my wife says I always look tired. I am a workaholic, but no matter how much rest and sleep and facial treatments I get, this tiredness doesn't seem to get off my face. It seems that the skin under the eyes has become much thinner. Still have good hair though.

So you have maintained with only minoxidil for 10+ years?

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When I first started minoxidil I thought I was getting darkness under my eyes from it, especially around the corners at the bridge of my nose. That is until I found a picture for 20 years ago and it was the same, just that I'd never noticed it and was most likely to be caused from lack of sleep.

I'm 40 and have can still easily pass as 30, I use 4ml a day for 1.5 years with no issues regarding increased facial aging.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Eye skin gets thinner as we age. Currently I have bags under my eyes, due to both allergies and aging.

That, caffeine, smoking, they're are just too many things that cause it.

Zetta Evans

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermalmd anti aging serum is great I have dark circles and a little sagging from age I am sure but it was becoming a little firmer . I am looking forward to see how great it's going in the future . I love it and will tell all my friends to get them some dermalmd anti aging serum.

ALightInTheDark

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil indeed break downs collagenase/formation of collagene in the face if I remember well..

Just take tret + a good vit C + moist + a good physical sunscreen and it'll be good.
If you can dermaroll at 0.5 every week it'll be better

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It breaks fown collagene at very high doses for long time, we take it topical the dose we use are very minimal

Ardarus

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've created account just to write this.

I started using Minoxidil in february, I was thinking that I don't have any side effects, probably because when you see yourself everyday in the mirror you will not notice slow changes, but then in july I saw my photos from trip with friends and I was like what the f**k, after that I started noticing it in mirror too, my face had more visible wrinkles and it was super swollen (like when you wake up but a lot worse), I was using minoxidil 3 ml a day, 2 ml on head and 1 ml on beard area.

I was scared by it so i reduced the dose to 1 ml a day and I started skipping some days.
Also started making facial mask from egg whites every 5 days, and it did wonders to my face. Wrinkles went gone and my face went to usual state in just one month.
Sorry, not gonna post photos because I don't like showing my face in random internet places :(

Make few photos before you start using minoxidil, and if you notice that your face got swollen and has a lot more wrinkles than usual then reduce some dose and try using something for your face (like egg mask). These changes are probably because water retention and are not pernament if you will keep them in bay.

Good luck guys.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
in my opinion what ruin your skin is the water retention. i don't know why it cause swelling face to some people.

Ardarus, i think you have that sides because you used it on your face..

Ardarus

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ardarus, i think you have that sides because you used it on your face..
I think it depends of dosage, I'm still using it on my face but with lower dose and sides went off, some people may be more vulnerable to minoxidil rentention side effect and that's why they have sides by only using it on hair area. No matter where you put it's still going to your blood circulation.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When you use it topically only 1,4% reach bloodstream, its only 0,85mg , the minimum dose that can give side effects is 6,50mg...

I dont understand why it causes water retention in the face to someone..maybe they have a mild allergic reaction to it

RB1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This definitely made me think last night. There is no doubt (even after 2 hours post application) that there is still rogaine liquid coming off the back/top of my head onto my pillow. Then, MANY times throughout the night, my face is directly pressing into that area on my pillow....

menisphere

My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil have aged my skin tremendously. there is a dry sheen of skin cells all over my face that form wrinkles when I move my facial muscles.

artursco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bullshit... Minoxidil will not make you look older..you folks just paranoid. I've been using minoxidil for years, now age almost 40 and getting comments that I look 32 max....neither I noticed any more wrinkles etc... Many guys are just paronoid cuz they read something somewhere. Minoxidil DOES NOT MAKE YOU OLDER.