Minoxidil and Nizoral worth it without finasteride?

povertyhairline

Reaction score
So my hairline is receding but I'm only 17. Is it worth it for me to start with minoxidil and nizoral for 5 months until I turn 18? I don't want to get on finasteride until 18 because I'm afraid that it might slow my growth

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
So my hairline is receding but I'm only 17. Is it worth it for me to start with minoxidil and nizoral for 5 months until I turn 18? I don't want to get on finasteride until 18 because I'm afraid that it might slow my growth
You think once your turn 18 you stop growing? Your brain doesn't fully develop until the age of 25. How important is your hair to you? My recommendations are the following: if you can cope with going bald just buzz it and let it happen. If you want to casually try to stop it at moderate costs with some side effects try min and nizoral. If you are having a lot of trouble facing your hair loss and desperately want to keep your hair get on finasteride. Starting min and nizoral of just nizoral might be a good idea for you to see if either of them work.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not really. I think it will make things worse because minoxidil will cause your hair to become thicker and hide the problem for longer, and you won't realize you need to start finasteride until later than you would otherwise.

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
40 percent of men have hair growth on min. 80% of men taking min will at least stop or slow down hair loss. I don't think it is a bad idea. At minimum the kid can start taking nizoral by itself until he turns 18 to see if that makes a difference. Either way he is not old enough for finasteride so he might as well experiment with the other stuff.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I agree wiith diffuser. Get on min and finasteride. Hopefully you can at least hold ground for a few years, before needing to try finasteride. I have heard of plenty of 18 yo guys that get on finasteride without any problems, but it just seems like 18 is a bit too young.

Jack A

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree, get on minoxidil and nizoral at the minimum. I usually use nizoral shampoo 2x a week and leave it on for a good 5 or so minutes.

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish id have started finasteride at 17. I might still be nw2, instead of the nw3 i progressed to between 17 and 21.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
If I would have started at 22 when I first noticed my hair loss, I have no doubt that I would still have most of my hair.

povertyhairline

Reaction score
40 percent of men have hair growth on min. 80% of men taking min will at least stop or slow down hair loss. I don't think it is a bad idea. At minimum the kid can start taking nizoral by itself until he turns 18 to see if that makes a difference. Either way he is not old enough for finasteride so he might as well experiment with the other stuff.

What age do you think is old enough for finasteride?

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not a doctor. I know the legal age is 18. That's when I started when I took it.

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score
Id go with 18, just to avoid any hassle with parents. But if parents approve I'd go with now. The diffrence between 17 and 18(maybe even like 21) are really small.

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing photos of your hair loss. Some men's hair changes during puberty making them think they are balding when really they aren't.

povertyhairline

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing photos of your hair loss. Some men's hair changes during puberty making them think they are balding when really they aren't.

I made a thread with pictures around last week but nobody replied. Looking back at those photos now, they may not be very good. I could take better ones tomorrow if you don't think the ones I already have up are good enough

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
http://imgur.com/a/uWEUD

http://imgur.com/a/mY
I'm pretty sure my crown is thinning too. This was back when I just got a haircut, it's not as noticeable now.
kIA

I thought I posted this yesterday but it's not showing up, I'm not sure what's going on.

Honestly, I'm not sure you have male pattern baldness. But I think you might have the very very first signs of it. You're better off taking nizoral till your 18 and see if it gets any worse.

povertyhairline

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure you have male pattern baldness. But I think you might have the very very first signs of it. You're better off taking nizoral till your 18 and see if it gets any worse.

My hairline is much more receded than it comes across in those pics. I don't think I was pulling it all the way back with the comb. I'll take better pictures tomorrow, maybe you can take another look at it then?