Minoxidil And Low Blood Pressure And Bad Sleep Problems

curiousone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im wondering whether I am experiencing side effects from minoxidil.

I recently went to the hospital for an unrelated issue and the nurse checked my blood pressure and said "your blood pressure is a bit low any idea why thats the case? Have you been experiencing light headedness or dizziness"I have never had anything other than normal blood pressure. I didnt think too much of it but then read recently that minoxidil lowers blood pressure. Is this a problem?

The other thing is I am having a sleep disorder problem that is becoming serious. I have been a bad sleeper for a long time, but it has gotten much worse in the last year. I average about 5 hours a night sleep. I wake up early in the morning and cant get back to sleep. Its really impacting my life. The only variable is minoxidil. The only change. But it seems strange to connect it. Is there any advice on this? I might try using minoxidil only in the morning and see if it makes a difference.

Grim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im wondering whether I am experiencing side effects from minoxidil.

I recently went to the hospital for an unrelated issue and the nurse checked my blood pressure and said "your blood pressure is a bit low any idea why thats the case? Have you been experiencing light headedness or dizziness"I have never had anything other than normal blood pressure. I didnt think too much of it but then read recently that minoxidil lowers blood pressure. Is this a problem?

The other thing is I am having a sleep disorder problem that is becoming serious. I have been a bad sleeper for a long time, but it has gotten much worse in the last year. I average about 5 hours a night sleep. I wake up early in the morning and cant get back to sleep. Its really impacting my life. The only variable is minoxidil. The only change. But it seems strange to connect it. Is there any advice on this? I might try using minoxidil only in the morning and see if it makes a difference.
I've used a religious ammount of minoxidil and my blood pressure was fine and for sleep, well Ive always had troubke sleeping. I think topical minoxidil won't really bother your blood pressure, however ive heard if you leave it on your hands it could get absorbed that way and mess with your blood pressure.

curiousone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've used a religious ammount of minoxidil and my blood pressure was fine and for sleep, well Ive always had troubke sleeping. I think topical minoxidil won't really bother your blood pressure, however ive heard if you leave it on your hands it could get absorbed that way and mess with your blood pressure.

Thanks. I have actually been quite lazy and have not been washing my hands after using minoxidil. I have been thinking of it as some innocuous over the counter possibly completely ineffective snake oil cream. But perhaps I need to take it more seriously. I have started washing my hands after using it from yesterday. I will have to continue with this.

curiousone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok I have tested this out now. Minoxidil has nothing to do with my sleeping problems. I went away for work for 5 days and purposely didn't take minoxidil with me, opportunity to test the hypothesis and one less thing to carry. It made no difference. Still had sh*t sleeps, particularly the last night. Then came back last night used minoxidil and actually had an amazing sleep, partially due to half a sleeping pill.
But I am also now washing my hands every time to avoid any risk of low blood pressure. Ironically high blood pressure is often the result of bad sleep/poor/insufficient sleep, so funny I have the opposite, so I am not to worried about it

curiousone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so the low blood pressure issue is a non event. I have had my blood pressure tested again twice since February and it was fine both times. So the minoxidil use did not cause a problem. The low blood pressure reading was a one off event. Since the first low reading I have however been religiously washing my hands after using minoxidil so maybe that makes a difference. Also my sleeping problems have nothing to do with minoxidil. I have bad sleeping problems but it is due to a different medical condition

what

Established Member
Reaction score
It appears you've resolved your issue. But, just for the record. When i first took minoxidil, I had a lot of trouble adjusting to it. It affected my blood pressure to the point where i was experiencing dizziness and light-headedness which lasted for several weeks on end. It was quite unpleasant, almost felt like i was suffering from mild motion sickness. I eventually reduced my dose and gave my body time to adjust to it and then slowly ramped up to a normal dose. But it was not something i'd like to endure again. So, just be aware that it can impact you, especially if you're using the higher dose foams.