minoxidil And High Blood Pressure

Uncle Leo

Reaction score
For those using minoxidil, has anyone noticed increased blood pressure? I just had a check up with my doctor and he said my blood pressure is pretty high. I have been under a huge amount of stress lately and I figure that is most likely the cause, but I wanted to check and see if other users have had this problem. Thanks.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Did he give you any medicine? If not, you may have pre-hypertension.

If you're over 140/90, you have hypertension. If you're between 120/80 to 140/90, you have pre-hypertension. You may want to be wary if you have high blood pressure and want to use Rogaine. It's advised to use minoxidil in caution if you have hypertension or heart disease.

As for minoxidil and your blood pressure, I thought minoxidil would drop your blood pressure.

scottie311

Established Member
Reaction score
If you're overweight, lose it. I lost 60lbs and my blood pressure went from about 148/90 to around 115/60. Heart rate also went down.

Uncle Leo

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

retropunk:

He hasn't prescribed any medication to me yet, but he did run a bunch of tests/bloodwork. I'm not sure my exact numbers, but he said they were very high. I will be going back next week to get the results. I too thought that minoxidil lowered blood pressure, so I'm worried that it may be something else.

scottie:

I'm pretty skinny, so I wish I had some weight to lose. Are there any other tips to reducing blood presure? I'd rather not stop minoxidil yet.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Reduce stress, eat less salt, drink more water, take fish oil capsules, do some sport.. etc. common sense a lot of it.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Eat healthier, stop smoking, stop drinking liquor, get on a few machines (bike, elliptical, treadmill), lower salt intake, lower caffeine intake, and a host of other things.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
garlic pills are good. If you don't want to take it in pill form, add garlic to your salad or sandwich

Uncle Leo

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips.

Does the amount of minoxidil used effect the blood pressure? If using a full capful of minoxidil is causing high blood pressure, then would using only half a capful reduce the problem? I find sometimes I have to use more than half a capful to cover my thinning.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Uncle Leo said:

Does the amount of minoxidil used effect the blood pressure? If using a full capful of minoxidil is causing high blood pressure, then would using only half a capful reduce the problem? I find sometimes I have to use more than half a capful to cover my thinning.

Using more of any drug would cause a greater risk at side effects.

I have yet to see anything that minoxidil causes high blood pressure. It will lower your blood pressure. This is a reason why some people feel dizziness. It's also a reason why people with high blood pressure should tell their doctor that they use rogaine/minoxidil to treat their male pattern baldness as the minoxidil may increase the effectiveness of the prescribed blood pressure medicine.

Again, I highly doubt the minoxidil is the source of your high blood pressure. The usual culprits for HBP are sedentary lifestyles, cholesterol, smoking, and obesity.

ebox

Reaction score

The same happens to me, my blood pressure jumps right after i use minoxidil (i use spray). I dont use any other medication. Everything i have read points that it should be the opposite...