Minoxidil and brown dandruff

justin78

Reaction score
Hi All-

I've been on a regimen of finasteride (10mg/day), Minoxidil 5% (1ml/day) and Nizoral shampoo for 5 years now (I originally started the minoxidil at 2%, then moved up to 5% after a few years). The results have generally been good, and I've had no adverse side-effects.

However, for the past two months I've started to get horrible dandruff. The flakes are large and brown, and my pillow is covered with them in the morning. I can literally dig my fingernail into my scalp and take off pieces of skin.

Not knowing what was going on, I decided to buy extra strength Head & Shoulders, and have been alternating it with the Nizoral for a week now, with no improvement. I'm concerned not only for the embarrassing aesthetics of the dandruff itself, but because I feel that it's a sign of an unhealthy scalp, and that it may contribute to my hair loss.

Has anyone else even experienced this horrible "brown dandruff" before? My first thought is that it's a reaction to the minoxidil, but I've been on that for several years with no problems at all. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Justin

hairforce9

Established Member
Reaction score
when i started rogaine the skin on my sclap peeled in quarter size sheets. after 2 weeks this stoped. my scalp only gets itchy if irritated and when i do scratch i also get this weird brown soft downy dead skin im assuming your calling dandruff. I added nizoral and extra strenght T-Gel into my routine but i still get this stuff however i think it did minimize. because i dont like the idea of rogaine being absorbed by this dead skin, i scrap my scalp twice a week with a fine tooth comb and a ton of that dead skin scraps off as well as hairs. I havent yet been able to get ride of it but i do only get it if i scratch my sclap i dont get it on my pillows.

CCS

Reaction score
the excess minoxidil does flake off after it dries. I just wash my hair with baby shampoo real fast, and bye bye dandruff.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
so in other words you noticed the brown dandruff symptoms immediately after you started the 5% minoxidil? or several months afterwards?

If so it sounds like you have some sort of scalp condition unrelated to hairloss treatments. If this just started happening when you switched to the 5% minoxidil then you might consider switching to the foam or a non-ppg formula of the minoxidil. I do vaugely remember experiencing some weird *** dandruff type of skin clumping when I began minoxidil over 4 years ago but it soon disappeared, I suppose after my skin had a chance to adjust.

justin78

Reaction score
I wish I could say that the brown dandruff started right after I switched to the 5% minoxidil, but I've been using that strength for about 3 years now. So I'm not sure what's up!

kiver1

Reaction score
almost sounds like craddle cap in infants. My Son and had this brown stuff for several months. Docs say its a hormonal change. Could be from onset of finasteride. I got rid of it by scrapping it off and occationally using a topical steroid (like hydo cortosone) Not sure if this is whats going on but I do understand the brown dandruff crud

Hopeman

Reaction score
i had this exact same problem. Try alternating between T-Sal and Nutrogena durring the weak. make sure you leave both on your head for a few mins, especialy the tsal

justin78

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses guys!

Yes, when I first started researching this online, it sounded exactly like cradle cap. Unfortunately I couldn't find any info about "adult cradle cap", so I came here. I do have some hydrocortisone cream, so I'll give it a try. God knows I've been scraping away.

Hopeman, I'll definitely take your suggestion. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's experienced this!

And yes... that was a typo :D I'm only taking 1mg of finasteride daily.

bathtbgin

Reaction score
I used the foam before i tried liquid rogaine. I didnt really have any trouble when i was using the foam, but i could tell something was up after a day of using the liquid. The skin on my scalp is coming off like crazy. I've had to run a comb over my scalp for a good 10 minutes on more than one occasion just to prevent it from flaking off while i was out.