Minoxidil Allergic Reaction (mini Pimples) After Almost 10 Years?

CAGR86

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey there, first time poster here.

I'm slighly freaking out cause after almost 10 years using Minoxidil (with somewhat great success) I recently started to get the strangest allergic reaction in the upper part of my forehead (See picture attahced). I get a bunch of mini pinples in my temples and also in the center of my forhead. The strangest part of it all is that I get it in areas where I don't really apply minoxidil, and I don't get any reaction in my actual scalp.

It is definately the Minoxidil, cause I've quit and gonne back a couple of times and I only get it after a couple of days of restarting application. I had almost decided to quit, but the shedding is so apparent that I fear that If I don't go back I'll loose it all in a couple of months.

Is it possible to develop an allergic reaction after almost 10 years of using Minoxidil? What else could it be if not that?

Thanks
image1.JPG

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's hard to say but I really doubt Minoxidil is causing the negative skin reaction on your forehead. I've been using Minoxidil for half a decade now and never experience anything strange from the treatment while benefiting from positive results. Have you been using the foam or liquid version of the medication? The two different vehicles do have an impact on skin environment after all.

rafiles

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm slighly freaking out cause after almost 10 years using Minoxidil (with somewhat great success) I recently started to get the strangest allergic reaction in the upper part of my forehead (See picture attahced). I get a bunch of mini pinples in my temples and also in the center of my forhead. The strangest part of it all is that I get it in areas where I don't really apply minoxidil, and I don't get any reaction in my actual scalp.

It is definately the Minoxidil, cause I've quit and gonne back a couple of times and I only get it after a couple of days of restarting application. I had almost decided to quit, but the shedding is so apparent that I fear that If I don't go back I'll loose it all in a couple of months.

Is it possible to develop an allergic reaction after almost 10 years of using Minoxidil? What else could it be if not that?

Thanks

After 10 years you should be an expert yourself, there can be several possibilities

1. Do you have itchiness there - recommend don't touch it
2. Do you wash it (only with water), or with shampoo likewise - I recommend to wash it with shampoo and max 4h application
3. Do you use same minoxidil (10 years), Propylene Glycol can you check
4. You can test Foam
5. Check minoxidil with low Alcohol

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can attest that I had also experienced the same reaction as a result of liquid minoxidil dripping onto my forehead.
I have been battling acne over the years so no stranger to it. Speaking for myself, I used products containing glycolic acid which dry up pimples very quickly. Since I began paying more attention to ensure Minoxidil does not drip onto the forehead, the mini pimples subsided.
For this reason, I like the cream Minoxidil that I have been using for a year...it does take more time to apply and there is likely to be more waste, but no dripping.

FlopTurnRiver

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's quite normal for the body to suddenly start rejecting something that it was perfectly fine with, no matter how long this period was.

Your rash may or may not be due to minoxidil, it's hard to tell. You need to begin a process of elimination keeping all other variables constant, i.e. change diet, shampoo, pillowcase, other medications etc.

But first begin with taking an antihistamine, wiping down the area after minoxidil application and keeping it moisturised with a non-greasy cream. Change your pillowcase everyday also. Try for a week or two and see what happens.

CAGR86

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's hard to say but I really doubt Minoxidil is causing the negative skin reaction on your forehead. I've been using Minoxidil for half a decade now and never experience anything strange from the treatment while benefiting from positive results. Have you been using the foam or liquid version of the medication? The two different vehicles do have an impact on skin environment after all.

I've been using the liquid form for almost 10 years with no negative impact until now. In my desperation I've also tried two foam versions (which are supposed to not have Propylene Glycol) to no success. The reaction is almost immediate now, after only 2 days of applying minoxidil my forehead goes kaboom.

After 10 years you should be an expert yourself, there can be several possibilities

1. Do you have itchiness there - recommend don't touch it
2. Do you wash it (only with water), or with shampoo likewise - I recommend to wash it with shampoo and max 4h application
3. Do you use same minoxidil (10 years), Propylene Glycol can you check
4. You can test Foam
5. Check minoxidil with low Alcohol

Is the Minoxidil with low Alcohol the one in foam? or is that a different alternative?

I can attest that I had also experienced the same reaction as a result of liquid minoxidil dripping onto my forehead.
I have been battling acne over the years so no stranger to it. Speaking for myself, I used products containing glycolic acid which dry up pimples very quickly. Since I began paying more attention to ensure Minoxidil does not drip onto the forehead, the mini pimples subsided.
For this reason, I like the cream Minoxidil that I have been using for a year...it does take more time to apply and there is likely to be more waste, but no dripping.

The funny thing is that I never had that reaction until now, even when I was careless with the application and allowed for dripping. Now, even if I make sure that my forehead is never in contact with the liquid the reaction still comes back. Not only that, but I also feel that my face is swollen, and ill.

It's quite normal for the body to suddenly start rejecting something that it was perfectly fine with, no matter how long this period was.

Your rash may or may not be due to minoxidil, it's hard to tell. You need to begin a process of elimination keeping all other variables constant, i.e. change diet, shampoo, pillowcase, other medications etc.

But first begin with taking an antihistamine, wiping down the area after minoxidil application and keeping it moisturised with a non-greasy cream. Change your pillowcase everyday also. Try for a week or two and see what happens.

I've stopped and re-started minoxidil application 4 times now, the reaction subsides when I stop the application, and it comes back when I start it again. I've made damn sure that the liquid / foam is never in contact with my forehead, but that has no impact (there is no reaction in my scalp, only in the same areas of my forehead, which makes it even stranger). The next step would be to do an allergy test, though I don't know if that's posible with Minoxidil, I'll have to ask arround.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm loosing all hope, the answer seems to be clear, my body grew tired of Minoxidil.

The hair loss this past couple of months has been ridiculous, If it continues at this same pace I'll loose all my hairline by the end of the year (not exaggerating, is that bad). I continue taking finastedine, but it seems that the drug that was maintaining my hair was minoxidil, though who knows what would happen if I stopped that too.

I've ordered Nizoral shampoo, I've never used it, and I have very little hopes it could help, but I'll give it a good all try nonetheless. Also, my scalp seems to be specially sensitive lately (almost like I fell my hair falling xD), so I figured that a special shampoo might at least help with that.

Is there any alternative to minoxidil that is not a complete scam? I've looked into Stemoxydine, Tricomin, and Aminexil, but as far as I can tell from the forums none of these are even worth the shot, is that really the case? What else is there?

tjnpdx

Banned
Reaction score

Thanks
View attachment 46091

To both of you, having used minoxidil that long, do you think it's provided a retention benefit or do you think you're at the point of using it just to not lose the old gains? I realize finasteride sort of gets in the way of knowing this, but I've been curious if, for some, minoxidil can have a long-term maintenance effect. I'm curious to this especially because it's not entirely clear how it works, so I'd like to know if it can really serve as somewhat of a finasteride replacement for some people.

Thanks

CAGR86

My Regimen
Reaction score
To both of you, having used minoxidil that long, do you think it's provided a retention benefit or do you think you're at the point of using it just to not lose the old gains? I realize finasteride sort of gets in the way of knowing this, but I've been curious if, for some, minoxidil can have a long-term maintenance effect. I'm curious to this especially because it's not entirely clear how it works, so I'd like to know if it can really serve as somewhat of a finasteride replacement for some people.

Thanks

Can't really be certain, but by the amount of hair I'm losing now my guess is that it did provide a huge retention benefit. So much so that I'm starting to think finasteride has no effect on me, but then again, I might go bald in 2 weeks if I stopped that to, so who can know for sure.

Its been a long time since I had to quit minoxidil, I think I might wait a couple of weeks and then give it one last try to see if the allergic reaction comes back. I know I'm hoping against hope here, but desperate times require desperate measures.

Ihhor1

My Regimen
Reaction score

Thanks
View attachment 46091
Hi man. I think i have the same problem but it happened after 4-5 months of using minoxidil. Since that problem appears my skin has become more acne. I tried to use Nizoral shampoo but that didn’t help me and antihistamines too. If you cured it please let me now about it. I hope you will read it.

jenn33

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe you should make a pause to see if allergy will calm.. then start again with minoxidil

Ihhor1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe you should make a pause to see if allergy will calm.. then start again with minoxidil
I didn’t use it about 6 months I think. When I started use minoxidil again everything is happened again after 2-3 days of using. I decided to stop use it and make a visit to a doctor. Maybe he’ll tell what is it and how to cure it.