minoxidil after 10 years

temp28

Reaction score
is there any consensus about the effectiveness of minoxidil after years of use?

let's say I used it for 10 years, and lost a lot of ground on the temples, why not just drop it? or use only 2% once a day?

any input or experience is appreciated.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a graph where it showed that Minoxidil lost its effectiveness after only TWO years!

corrado33

Reaction score
I don't think minoxidil lose its effectivness. It makes your hair grow as long as you use it but it doesn't do anything against DHT, so if your balding is agressive, the gain from minoxidil won't last. If you are very slowly balding, that could work for a few years.

Xandroxuser

Established Member
Reaction score
Dr Richard Lee - who had a lot of experience - used to say that lots of people thought of giving up minoxidil when after a number of years it seemed to have lost its effectiveness, in the sense that it didn't seem to be growing more hair.

His advice was if you give up minoxidil you will lose all the hair it had grown for you. So don't give it up.

On other occasions he said that some people find that applying minoxidil once a day - as opposed to twice a day - maintains the minoxidil dependent hair once re-growth has stabilised.

How all this is affected by the ageing process has always been somewhat unclear to me.

As regards finasteride, it seemed to me from researching the issue that it is simplest/best to regard minoxidil dependent hair and finasteride dependent hair (what you would have lost if you had not taken finasteride) as quite separate.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here is that chart:

pharmtherapy_05.gif

^ as you can see, your hair count will go back to baseline after only one year! Of course that's still considered success because you didn't lose ANY hair in that year...

temp28

Reaction score
so basically after 10 years I can assume that minoxidil has run it's course....

maximiliandreams

Established Member
Reaction score
And what if you stop minoxidil,and lose more hair?Did you think about that?

temp28

Reaction score
maximiliandreams said:
And what if you stop minoxidil,and lose more hair?Did you think about that?

yes i know. maybe i'll just use 2% daily to be sure...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
temp28 said:

The point is that topical minoxidil doesn't appear to interfere with the fundamental process of balding. It continues to stimulate the growth of hair as long as you use it and the hair actually exists, but balding continues at about the same general rate.

temp28

Reaction score
Bryan said:
temp28 said:

The point is that topical minoxidil doesn't appear to interfere with the fundamental process of balding. It continues to stimulate the growth of hair as long as you use it and the hair actually exists, but balding continues at about the same general rate.

so you would also recommend to continue the treatment to keep those hairs that might have been grown only because of minoxidil...

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dude minoxidil won't be able to hold your hair for 10 years!! 2 years max!!

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
2020 said:
Here is that chart:

pharmtherapy_05.gif

^ as you can see, your hair count will go back to baseline after only one year! Of course that's still considered success because you didn't lose ANY hair in that year...

And apparently, the significant regrowth seen after taking sugar pills also ends up back at baseline after a year. And here I thought placebos were good for life!

Seriously though, from what I gather, minoxidil provides a boost to your hair when you use it. If after two years, your hair is the same density as when you began, that does not necessarily mean it has lost effectiveness. Think of it as like hair thickening shampoo. It will make a big difference at first, but then you'll notice that your hair continues to lose density. It doesn't mean that the shampoo is not having the same effect anymore, only that your "baseline" is dropping because you are not tackling the main driver behind your hair loss.

Nene

Reaction score
I've been using minoxidil for for 8 years with a 1.5 year break or so in between. I've recently switched to once a day, banking on Dr. Lee's theory described by another poster. I'm tired of applying it twice a day, and I'll save money this way, plus I'm not convinced it'll make a dfference one way or another at this point. So far I haven't noticed any drastic hair loss.

rcom440

Reaction score
Minoxidil doesn't lose its defectiveness as long as you are using it.
People may believe it's losing its effectiveness when hairless is becoming more aggressive.
minoxidil will work as long as you are using it.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nene said:
I've been using minoxidil for for 8 years with a 1.5 year break or so in between. I've recently switched to once a day, banking on Dr. Lee's theory described by another poster. I'm tired of applying it twice a day, and I'll save money this way, plus I'm not convinced it'll make a dfference one way or another at this point. [...]

Agreed. Applying it twice a day is certainly not twice as effective as applying it only once a day.

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking at research today and found something you guys may find interesting. Here are the graphs that everyone cites when they say minoxidil stops working after two years, but this one includes a caption: http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i261/ ... veness.gif

Notice what it says. After 96 weeks, the treatment was stopped. That's why there is a sudden drop. I can't believe no one has mentioned this when it's been debated so often.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
kc444 said:
I was looking at research today and found something you guys may find interesting. Here are the graphs that everyone cites when they say minoxidil stops working after two years, but this one includes a caption: http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i261/ ... veness.gif

Notice what it says. After 96 weeks, the treatment was stopped. That's why there is a sudden drop. I can't believe no one has mentioned this when it's been debated so often.

I've never seen anybody mention that specific Vera Price study as an argument for saying that topical minoxidil "stops working" after two years. I haven't seen anybody mention ANY specific study for that reason. By the way, I've cited the Price study numerous times over the years for various reasons, and I've mentioned its 96 week duration several times.