Minoxidil Acts As An Anti Androgen...

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039155/

Thoughts?

"Our characterization of the relationship between minoxidil and AR showed that minoxidil interferes with AR-related functions, decreasing AR transcriptional activity, reducing expression of targets at the protein level, and suppressing AR-positive LNCaP cell growth. Furthermore, our mechanistic studies showed that the suppressive effect of minoxidil on AR-related functions reflected its ability to directly bind to the AR; interfere with AR-peptide, AR-coregulator and AR N-C interactions; and reduce AR protein stability."

Last edited:

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am super confused after reading this. Why would it help with beard and body hair growth as well then?

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
I would have hoped that some more knowledgeable members would have offered their opinions about this but it's likely that the thread won't get enough views in this section.

Maybe repost it in the "New Research, Studies, and Technologies" subsection?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems that if minoxidil was an anti-androgen, you wouldn't go back down to where you would be without minoxidil within 3 months of stopping use.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
it seems like everything is a f*****g anti-androgen... and yet, NOTHING grows my f*****g hair back. f*****g f*** man.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
This study was interesting but nothing near conclusive. It looks like they found evidence that minoxidil might interfere with the androgen receptors, not that it does so in any way that meaningfully inhibits the destruction of hair follicles by DHT.

Since minoxidil taken orally will help you grow hair everywhere, it still stands to reason that it probably functions more as a way to encourage blood and nutrients to get to follicles as people have thought about Minoxidil for a while.

Basically this is interesting, but probably going down a tangent path that won't lead anywhere.