minoxidil accelerating male pattern baldness.

G

I read on another site, a person went to see his doctor. Well, his doctor said with some kinds of male pattern baldness, minoxidil will only accelerate it.

minoxidil making things worse.

This applies to me. My hair has got worse since starting this gunk.

Yet, I cannot stop. That is a scary prospect. I feel I am a slave to it.

G

That is a big problem Gunner. Now you are on it you know what happens when you stop it. If you do stop you will just go back to baseline.

G

traxdata said:
That is a big problem Gunner. Now you are on it you know what happens when you stop it. If you do stop you will just go back to baseline.

Not necessarily.

If I knew I would go back to baseline if i quit minoxidil I would have stopped ages ago.

I doubt you will go back to baseline if you have gotten a lot worse since starting minoxidil - especially in the front/temples area

G

I guess so. Either way it seems you are both fooked...

This is the main reason I never started to take minoxidil. I nearly did and I am so glad I didn't.

G

traxdata said:
I guess so. Either way it seems you are both fooked...

This is the main reason I never started to take minoxidil. I nearly did and I am so glad I didn't.

I dearly wish I never started it either.

I started before I researched this site when I first noticed my hairline eroding slightly on one side. Now the hair in the temple area is much thinner than baseline.

I'm still praying that it will thicken up - I'm almost at 9 months with finasteride and about 6 with minoxidil.

You had a nasty shed around month 8/9 didnt you Trax?

I trust it got better??

G

Yeah, months 7-8 and 9 were quite bad. I would say that it did recover but I also hit another shed a couple of months ago. My hair is still very accecptable but it has thinned at the temples. I can feel new hair growing but it just seems to be stabilised at the moment.

I just hope that if my temples go back to how they was when I started finasteride then I will be happy.

2young

Reaction score
When you quit minoxidil, you don't go back to baseline, you drop off to where you would've been had you never used it. In studies, the people who dropped minoxidil fell to the same level as those who never used it. If you use minoxidil for say, 3 years, then stop, you'll quickly fall off to about where you would have been if those 3 years had passed without treatment.

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
2young said:
When you quit minoxidil, you don't go back to baseline, you drop off to where you would've been had you never used it. In studies, the people who dropped minoxidil fell to the same level as those who never used it. If you use minoxidil for say, 3 years, then stop, you'll quickly fall off to about where you would have been if those 3 years had passed without treatment.

Bingo!

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2young said:

Anybody got any scientific theory/anecdotal evidence for this. Not dissing what you're saying, but I can't see why this would be the case, if for instance, you're taking DHT blockers.

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody got any scientific theory/anecdotal evidence for this. Not dissing what you're saying, but I can't see why this would be the case, if for instance, you're taking DHT blockers.[/quote]

If you mean that you are taking minoxidil and finasteride and stop minoxidil but continue finasteride, then you are correct... you only lose the accumulated benefit that minoxidil has bought you... It does not mean that stopping minoxidil negates the benefit of the other medications you continue, like finasteride. You only lose the marginal gain that was from minoxidil. The other meds continue to work for you. However if you later stop finasteride also, you will then lose the benifits that finasteride has bought you over the years (just as you lost the benefit that minoxidil had bought you).

There is no single study that shows this (as drugs are studied one drug per patient, to simplify things), but there are studies for both minoxidil and finasteride that show that stopping either soon leaves you in a condition similar to that which you would have been in if you never took either drugs. It is merely logic that says that stopping one drug does not negate the benefit of the second drug that you continue to take.

If you are asking what would happen if you stopped rogaine but started a dHT blocker like finasteride on the same day... That hasnt been studied. Dont know if you could maintain...

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
iamnaked said:
2young said:

Anybody got any scientific theory/anecdotal evidence for this. Not dissing what you're saying, but I can't see why this would be the case, if for instance, you're taking DHT blockers.

Yes, the concurrent use of 5ar inhibitors changes the situation somewhat.

If you use minoxidil for say, 3 years, then stop, you'll quickly fall off to about where you would have been if those 3 years had passed without treatment.

As in, without using any treatments alongside...

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What I meant was I thought regrowth acquired with minoxidil would be maintained by the 5AR inhibitors. I just wondered if there was truth in the claims that hair gets 'addicted' to minoxidil. If people have found this to be the case through personal experience, I'd be interested in knowing.

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
iamnaked said:
What I meant was I thought regrowth acquired with minoxidil would be maintained by the 5AR inhibitors.

No it won't.

I just wondered if there was truth in the claims that hair gets 'addicted' to minoxidil. If people have found this to be the case through personal experience, I'd be interested in knowing.

Yes it does.