Minoxidil 5% No Results For 8 Months Then Sudden Thinning

Jaketapper

My Regimen
Reaction score
Male. 32. Started Minoxidil 5% after visiting Dermatologist in January. She suggested Minoxidil for thinning in the crown area and Finasteride. I started both shortly after, but dropped Finasteride after one pill due to some immediate intense side effects.

I have had sebhorriec dermatitis/psoriasis/eczema on my scalp off and on for the past 3-4 years. Hair has thinned because if it.

I've had various skin conditions move around my body throughout the years i.e.
Psoriasis, lichen planus, eczema, etc...

Skin problems have focused on my scalp as of the past 3 years mainly.

I've scratched, itched, and picked in some areas of the scalp because of it. January of 2017 I had a patch in the crown near the top of my head. It finally went away with the use of a few prescribed shampoos and the weather changing (winters are bad). I thinned in this area because of it.

MPD does not run in the family. Men in my family have thinned but not until their 50s and 60s. Minor thinning in crown, but rest of head is in good shape for their age. They all have almost full heads of hair in their 70s.

I've adjusted my diet heavily cutting out most dairy and wheat which helped scalp health.

I've used minoxidil for 8 months straight and noticed little to no change. I may have had some minor shedding about two months in, but it was about 10-15 hairs on my hands in the shower for about 3-4 days.

Then about three and a half weeks ago, I noticed the top of my head beginning to look very thin. The hair in that portion of my scalp has also gotten very thin and flimsy. It feels fake to the touch.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with Minoxidil? Is it true that if you haven't seen a change within 6 months, you may be a non-responder?

Is this just the solution ruining my hair because I'm a non responder? Or is it finally starting to work in regards to shedding?

I'm also wondering since MPD does not run in the family exclusively, whether I caused some traction alopecia through scalp picking? Tough to say honestly.

Here's a list of supplements and any prescriptions I take per day:

Biotin 5000 mcg
Saw Palmetto 450 mg (starting to up dosage to 900mg)
Choline 310 mg (just started)
Lysine 500mg
Probiotic supplement
Tumeric and ginger supplement
Vitamin D3 5000 mcg
Zinc 50mg (2-3 times per week)
Singulair (been taking for one week for allergies)
Zyrtec (one per day)
Flonase nasal spray
Asalastine nasal spray

Here is my current shampoo regimine:

Paul Mitchell Thinning Hair shampoo conditioner, and hair tonic
2.5% Coal Tar Shampoo
Nioxin 1 system

I use Nioxin about 2 times per week, the Paul Mitchell stuff 2 times per week, and the Coal Tar shampoo 2 times per week.

I've also been utilizing a tea tree oil soap bar on my scalp for cleansing purposes.
My scalp gets very oily in the summertime, so to avoid buildup I wash my hair everyday.

I also have some nasty allergies that have caused me a lot of discomfort over the past two years specifically. I'm basically allergic to everything, seasonal allergies, dogs, cats, etc...I also have Cold Induced Urticaria (I get hives when I'm out in the cold for too long).

Auto-immune disorders run in the family as well. My maternal grandfather's brother had alopecia universalis.

*Side note: Every now and again I feel a very slight tingle in the area of of my scalp where Minoxidil is applied. The best way to describe it is that feeling before an itch becomes an itch, if that makes any sense.

Lastly, I've been applying minoxidil once in the morning and once at night. In the morning I generally apply it two freshly showered hair that has been towel-dried. Does slightly damp hair effect the performance of Minoxidil?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get back on finasteride, there's no way one pill could impact you as hard as you think. It was moreso caused by your mind.

The reason as to why you're experiencing this shed is because your DHT levels are becoming stronger for every day, and since you don't suppress those levels with anything, hairloss will be inevitable

You also mention traction alopecia, which might be the cause of your hairloss? I think you should've brought that up with your derm. You should post pictures of your hair here though