minoxidil 1x VS 2x a day

Mircalegro

Established Member
Reaction score
Obviously 2x would be ideal, but im wondering if going from 1-2x a day application will make much of a noticeable difference

Patrick54

Established Member
Reaction score
I have found that minoxidil is dose dependent so 2x a day works better than 1x per day, also the higher the percentage the more growth. I went from 5% to 15% and noticed much more growth much faster.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Since switching to foam 3 weeks ago I've been able to leave it on my head longer in the mornings (all day rather than washing off after 2 hours) and seen a speed up in growth as a result of a proper 2x daily routine.

I think 1x daily is probably fine for maintenance and slow regrowth but if you want to make the most of minoxidil 2x will make a difference.

Bukowski

Established Member
Reaction score
Once a day does little to nothing. Two times a day can help and get you regrowth. minoxidil has an 8 hour halflife. Therefor three times a day application would be ideal.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bukowski said:
Once a day does little to nothing. Two times a day can help and get you regrowth.

There was actually a study a while back that tested a once-day-application for a while; as far as I know, they didn't actually compare the results with twice-a-day in terms of haircounts or hairweights, but the impression I got is that once-a-day was only a little less effective.

Bukowski said:
minoxidil has an 8 hour halflife.

What are you talking about? In what way does it have an 8 hour "half-life"? :dunno: Please be specific.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I suspect twice a day is maximum growth potential, but once a day is fine from most anecdotal reports on the forums when people try it consistently once per day.

Bukowski

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Bukowski said:
Once a day does little to nothing. Two times a day can help and get you regrowth.

There was actually a study a while back that tested a once-day-application for a while; as far as I know, they didn't actually compare the results with twice-a-day in terms of haircounts or hairweights, but the impression I got is that once-a-day was only a little less effective.

Bukowski said:

What are you talking about? In what way does it have an 8 hour "half-life"? :dunno: Please be specific.

I've read no reports of people having any success on using minoxidil once a day. I did read reports of people going from a once a day application, without results, to two times a day application and then getting results. I've also read reports of people using two applications a day for years without any results. Upping to three times a day or four times a day they did get results. Halflife was not a very good description. I meant to say that the effects, or stimulation of minoxidil on the hairfollicle, lasts for about 8 hours. No Bryan, I don't have any studies about that in my library. ;-) It's just something I've read somewhere, somehow, sometime ago.
Here's a post from hairsite from a longtime member who used minoxidil for years twice a day. He got no results and upped to four times a day. That;s when he did get results. http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum ... nswer.html

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Bukowski said:
Bryan said:
Bukowski said:

Bukowski said:

I've read no reports of people having any success on using minoxidil once a day. I did read reports of people going from a once a day application, without results, to two times a day application and then getting results. I've also read reports of people using two applications a day for years without any results. Upping to three times a day or four times a day they did get results. Halflife was not a very good description. I meant to say that the effects, or stimulation of minoxidil on the hairfollicle, lasts for about 8 hours. No Bryan, I don't have any studies about that in my library. ;-) It's just something I've read somewhere, somehow, sometime ago.
Here's a post from hairsite from a longtime member who used minoxidil for years twice a day. He got no results and upped to four times a day. That;s when he did get results. http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum ... nswer.html

I believe Cassin or Propecia junkie have had great results with one time per day. Many other people on this forum have done it too.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bukowski said:
I've read no reports of people having any success on using minoxidil once a day. I did read reports of people going from a once a day application, without results, to two times a day application and then getting results. I've also read reports of people using two applications a day for years without any results. Upping to three times a day or four times a day they did get results.

As I mentioned before, there was a careful study done in a clinical setting that DID find some reasonable activity from a single application per day, although apparently not quite as much as twice per day. Similarly, there is yet another study which I've cited numerous times which also provides some relevant information on this issue: the study that examined the effects of applying topical minoxidil MULTIPLE times per day! :shock: Although they didn't actually look at hair growth from doing that, they did look at systemic absorption from doing it, and didn't find any particularly important increased amount of it; they concluded near the end of the study that the normal twice-daily application probably is sufficient to saturate the skin with minoxidil, which already implies that only once a day is probably nearly as good, because they weren't even using modern 5% minoxidil solutions in that study!! :)

Bukowski said:
Halflife was not a very good description. I meant to say that the effects, or stimulation of minoxidil on the hairfollicle, lasts for about 8 hours.

Okay. It's probably not a good idea to use the term "half-life" in that specific context, because that term usually refers to levels of drugs in the bloodstream.

rusty_y2k2

Established Member
Reaction score
long time no post... I just came back on here to find out what happened to Dr Lee's site and find alternatives!

I've been fighting the good fight for over 3 years now, and I apply minoxidil only once per day. Seems to be good enough to help maintain for now as I haven't seen any further loss (I've been using finasteride as well for just over 3 yrs).

I think 2x will always beat 1x, but for those of us who can't really manage twice a day once a day is still okay. I think consistency is more important than the question of 1x or 2x per day personally.