Minoxidil 10% The Cure For Hairloss?

Mddx

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone been on 10% minoxidil and seen better results thn the 5%?
I've been using 5% minoxidil for 3 months now, I've seen little to no progress.
What I wanna know is has someone been through something similar while on 5% and jumped on to 10% and got amazing results?
Also commitment issues, 10% long term, good idea?
Would appreciate feedback.

Mddx

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I'm still gonna go bald regardless of using 5% or 10% Minoxidil?
I thought the deal was u get to keep your hair if you consistent.
Also read on the fact that 10% does a better job in growing hair

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
It might maintain your hair for several years or slow it down if your loss isn't too aggressive.

But you need to understand that minoxidil is literally doing nothing to actually stop the balding process. The follicles it temporarily revives are still dying, still being attacked by the hormone DHT, and without use of an anti-androgen, those follicles will eventually die

For long term protection, finasteride(brand name propecia) is your best bet. It's an FDA approved treatment for male pattern baldness. It reduces DHT levels in the body by 60-70%, which for most men is enough to stabilize their hairloss situation. You can go to your Doctor or dermatologist and talk about getting a prescription

minoxidil can work well but is best used as a supplemental treatment

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
It might maintain your hair for several years or slow it down if your loss isn't too aggressive.

But you need to understand that minoxidil is literally doing nothing to actually stop the balding process. The follicles it temporarily revives are still dying, still being attacked by the hormone DHT, and without use of an anti-androgen, those follicles will eventually die

For long term protection, finasteride(brand name propecia) is your best bet. It's an FDA approved treatment for male pattern baldness. It reduces DHT levels in the body by 60-70%, which for most men is enough to stabilize their hairloss situation. You can go to your Doctor or dermatologist and talk about getting a prescription

minoxidil can work well but is best used as a supplemental treatment

We actually don't know it. Cause we do not know exactly how minoxidil works. It could be something with the prostaglandines, with the CTHR2 receptor, etc. We have zero idea, no paper actually showing how it do work.

Finasteride sooner or later will give you side effects. You can NOT inhibit 70 % of a natural hormone on your body that is in range and don't have side effects, it simple not going to happen . Why do you think tha the 10 years studies Merck did not show us a single hormone test done ?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride sooner or later will give you side effects. You can NOT inhibit 70 % of a natural hormone on your body that is in range and don't have side effects, it simple not going to happen . Why do you think tha the 10 years studies Merck did not show us a single hormone test done ?

We don't know what happens after 10 years of continuous use(apart from anecdotal reports up to 20 years), and that includes knowing that it will definitely give you unbearable sides. We don't know that.

Taking finasteride long term is a calculated risk. Based on what we know about it so far, many/most men's bodies will function just fine in all the appropriate ways up to 10 years. Don't underestimate the human body's ability to achieve homeostasis when an outside force is introduced. Finasteride is hardly the only hormonal treatment doctors are prescribing

dermrafok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We don't know what happens after 10 years of continuous use(apart from anecdotal reports up to 20 years), and that includes knowing that it will definitely give you unbearable sides. We don't know that.

Taking finasteride long term is a calculated risk. Based on what we know about it so far, many/most men's bodies will function just fine in all the appropriate ways up to 10 years. Don't underestimate the human body's ability to achieve homeostasis when an outside force is introduced. Finasteride is hardly the only hormonal treatment doctors are prescribing
I am aware that less and less professionals prescribe medications and if they do it is only for a short time, taking breaks. There is more evidence of the "dangerousness not only at the sexual level of this therapy".

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am aware that less and less professionals prescribe medications and if they do it is only for a short time, taking breaks. There is more evidence of the "dangerousness not only at the sexual level of this therapy".
Yes, it is really a problem. This medicine was approve 20 years ago, the science change a lot since that time and we actually know, like you told, many more things about finasteride . Was really reckless from the FDA to approve this drug for male pattern baldness. Topical antiandrogen should be the second drug approve it, instead of Finasteride. I think that Finasteride did more harm than good in all the sense.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it is really a problem. This medicine was approve 20 years ago, the science change a lot since that time and we actually know, like you told, many more things about finasteride . Was really reckless from the FDA to approve this drug for male pattern baldness. Topical antiandrogen should be the second drug approve it, instead of Finasteride. I think that Finasteride did more harm than good in all the sense.

What do we know exactly though? Apart from people freaking out on forums, half of whom never even tried the drug and are just feeding off anecdotal horror stories?

I'm not aware of any actual studies showing it to be unsafe for the majority. Do any such exist?

dermrafok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A link to pubmed but no specific article?

Where are the studies showing side effects in anything but a small percentage of users? They don't exist
There are hundreds. I will not look for them. Search for them yourself.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
5% did not work for me. 12-15% did in making existing hair thicker and accelerate growth. Some even got darker. It will not regrow hair already lost. Now about finasteride or it's cousins. Yes, it works as others said above but MAY have sexual side effects in some. You can give it a go. But if you're one who can see a beautiful *** on a girl walking down the street and get a boner or get rock hard erections typically then find after a couple months on finasteride things are at half-mast, you might want to rethink things. Depending on if you like hair or sex better, that is.

Mddx

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've had friend taking finasteride for 4 months and saying it's one strong drug as he couldn't get his dick to stand up for most of the time. So he quits and bye bye erectile dysfunction. Finasteride takes a while to work and I wouldn't wanna mess with my body specially with a life long medicine which is of risk.

Mddx

My Regimen
Reaction score
5% did not work for me. 12-15% did in making existing hair thicker and accelerate growth. Some even got darker. It will not regrow hair already lost. Now about finasteride or it's cousins. Yes, it works as others said above but MAY have sexual side effects in some. You can give it a go. But if you're one who can see a beautiful *** on a girl walking down the street and get a boner or get rock hard erections typically then find after a couple months on finasteride things are at half-mast, you might want to rethink things. Depending on if you like hair or sex better, that is.
Mate, you using 12% now? How long it's been? Did the results stay? I wanna give 10% a go cause 5% doesn't seem to be doing much. I just wanna make my existing hair thicker

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
A link to pubmed but no specific article?

Where are the studies showing side effects in anything but a small percentage of users? They don't exist
Here you have one of the dozen of studies, it is up to you if you want to do the research to save your health or not :
"Finasteride, not tamsulosin, increases severity of erectile dysfunction and decreases testosterone levels in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia." :
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26053014

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone been on 10% minoxidil and seen better results thn the 5%?
I've been using 5% minoxidil for 3 months now, I've seen little to no progress.
What I wanna know is has someone been through something similar while on 5% and jumped on to 10% and got amazing results?
Also commitment issues, 10% long term, good idea?
Would appreciate feedback.

I have been on three times that amount. You still need another medication to combine it with.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where are you buying the higher % of minoxidil ?

There's a couple of places that I get from. This is by no means the complete list.

1. https://www.medicalwellnesscenter.com - They go up to 30% Minoxidil

2. https://app.hairgrowthmd.com/promox - They customize any solution you want. They only go up to 15% Minoxidil

Xandrox is from Canada. Although their 15% is not as high as they claim (seems to be 11%), they are the
cheapest of all of them.

For the record, I DO NOT BELIEVE Minoxidil will cause permanent results, by itself. It is still a growth supplement, and needs Finasteride, or other anti androgens to work with it.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here you have one of the dozen of studies, it is up to you if you want to do the research to save your health or not :
"Finasteride, not tamsulosin, increases severity of erectile dysfunction and decreases testosterone levels in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia." :
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26053014

I have to pay $42 for the actual study? Since the abstract doesn't list any actual percentages or interpretable numbers