Miniaturised Hair Or Is It Thinning Hair

Xenate998

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 18 and I've noticed for a while that I have small hairs on my hairline, I've looked it up and at first I thought they were miniaturized hairs but in photos of miniaturized hair there's significantly less of them than I have. So now i'm starting to worry whether it's a early stages of going bald

Attachments

• _20170118_063104.JPG
    _20170118_063104.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,686
  • _20170118_063016.JPG
    _20170118_063016.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,803
  • _20170118_063001.JPG
    _20170118_063001.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 2,643
  • _20170118_063117.JPG
    _20170118_063117.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,850
  • _20170118_063150.JPG
    _20170118_063150.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,863
  • _20170118_063134.JPG
    _20170118_063134.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,211

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 18 and I've noticed for a while that I have small hairs on my hairline, I've looked it up and at first I thought they were miniaturized hairs but in photos of miniaturized hair there's significantly less of them than I have. So now i'm starting to worry whether it's a early stages of going bald
It looks like your hairline is receding. How's your crown?

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When I brush all my hair forward that's what it looks likes but usually it's not visible
Crown looks like it's thinning but in the very early stages. Look into finasteride. It will help you maintain and in some rare cases regrow. You've still caught it in the early stages and that's a good thing

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think you are getting confused with baby hairs. Baby hairs are small hairs that are sometimes present within the first centimetre or so of the hairline. Basically they only grow to a certain length for whatever reason, they are very apparent on women with long hair. Then there is miniaturised hair, which is hair that has had its diameter thinned due to DHT, in other words, male pattern baldness.

I am sorry to say but yes you are receding and for your age it is quite aggressive. It is quite interesting because we can see from your hairline just how aggressive hairloss is in some people, the entire first cm of ur hairline is miniaturising and it is happening fast, giving the appearance of baby hairs all around it. It is obvious however from the recession that they are not really baby hairs, they are miniaturised hairs which are destined to fall out soon for good.

If you do not get on finasteride you will probably be very bald by the time you are 21. My reasoning for this is, it is common for guys around your age to experience miniaturisation at the corners of the hairline whilst their frontal part stays strong. In your case the miniaturisation is present all the way up to the middle of your hairline and that is not a good sign.

Xenate998

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you are getting confused with baby hairs. Baby hairs are small hairs that are sometimes present within the first centimetre or so of the hairline. Basically they only grow to a certain length for whatever reason, they are very apparent on women with long hair. Then there is miniaturised hair, which is hair that has had its diameter thinned due to DHT, in other words, male pattern baldness.

I am sorry to say but yes you are receding and for your age it is quite aggressive. It is quite interesting because we can see from your hairline just how aggressive hairloss is in some people, the entire first cm of ur hairline is miniaturising and it is happening fast, giving the appearance of baby hairs all around it. It is obvious however from the recession that they are not really baby hairs, they are miniaturised hairs which are destined to fall out soon for good.

If you do not get on finasteride you will probably be very bald by the time you are 21. My reasoning for this is, it is common for guys around your age to experience miniaturisation at the corners of the hairline whilst their frontal part stays strong. In your case the miniaturisation is present all the way up to the middle of your hairline and that is not a good sign.

Could it not possibly be a maturing hairline though like this suggests - https://baldingblog.com/2007/01/12/...e-moving-from-juvenile-to-mature-with-photos/

It also doesn't look as bad as those original photos when I look in the mirror. At least not as severe, the hairs I see look like they're not part of the scalp but infront of it. If that makes any sense

Aswell as that it only seems to be the hairline. The rest of my hair seems rather thick

Last edited: