Minaturization or Regrowth: how can you tell?

faust405245

Reaction score
Like the title says. I'm applying regaine to my hairline. Along the edges I've got some small wispy hairs, and some thicker longer ones. Is this just minaturization or is it possible the small hairs are actually a sign of regrowth?

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have a similar problem.

My temples are thinning, but I have the odd hair here and there/microscopic white hairs which I can't be sure if it was there before.

I'm not sure if they're just the remains of thinning hair, or new regrowth.

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
I think if they are white, then they are newly, vellus hair that should turn terminal eventually. I have been on Rogaine Foam for about 3 months and I recently noticed some white hairs growing on my hairline, where I apply the Rogaine. I have been very gradually losing my hair for over a decade, and I have never seen white hair. I don't see the white hair anywhere else, except my hairline.

I believe I have read elsewhere that regrowth begins with un-pigmented vellus hair that eventually turns terminal.

faust405245

Reaction score
Crap. My hairs aren't white, they're just normal colour. It's really weird, one day I look and think, sh*t, I'm definitely receding even further but the next day I'll convince myself that it's definitely regrowth. Today I'm leaning towards regrowth. :)

The hairs along the edges of my hairline are strange too. Some are small and quite wispy but a lot have thickened up and are getting on for normal length. Im not sure what this is, maybe it's just the regrowth after the initial shed, I'm not sure. I'll keep an eye out for those little fair hairs though. Fingers crossed.

ali777

Reaction score
Take pictures regularly and observe.... If there is a change, you'll know..

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score
no, if their colourless thats ur hair minizurising (however u spell it) this is cause the hairs are becoming smaller and losing colour, theres actually no way to tell just by seeing them most of the time.

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
patrik said:
no, if their colourless thats ur hair minizurising (however u spell it) this is cause the hairs are becoming smaller and losing colour, theres actually no way to tell just by seeing them most of the time.

Or vice versa. Maybe starting as white hairs and then later developing a pigment. I've never had white hairs before and my hair has been slowly miniaturizing for over a decade. I doubt it's a coincidence that after using Roagine Foam for 3 months, I have some white hairs where applying it, where there has been some miniaturization, in front.