Min was working well, now its not at all (first six months)

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
HI started minoxidil. 5% one time daily AUGUST 15, 2021. By mid November (3 months) I saw improvement on my thinning crown and bumped it to two times daily. I'm now at month 4 and mt crown seems less full, like the minoxidil has made no difference..

Is this regression possibly due to the shedding phase that minoxidil may cost? thank you

theegoodin

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s definitely possible. I will say in my situation minoxidil started well but results leveled off around the 1 year mark. I am now further frontally regressed than when I started with minoxidil two and a half years ago (I’m not on finasteride).
I have starting microneedling in the past week, I’ll update with my results if I see any

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s definitely possible. I will say in my situation minoxidil started well but results leveled off around the 1 year mark. I am now further frontally regressed than when I started with minoxidil two and a half years ago (I’m not on finasteride).
I have starting microneedling in the past week, I’ll update with my results if I see any
Ok thank you and I hope the best for you in your journey

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
HI started minoxidil. 5% one time daily AUGUST 15, 2021. By mid November (3 months) I saw improvement on my thinning crown and bumped it to two times daily. I'm now at month 4 and mt crown seems less full, like the minoxidil has made no difference..

Is this regression possibly due to the shedding phase that minoxidil may cost? thank you

Have you had a shedding phase or noticed any thinning from Minoxidil prior to this?

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you had a shedding phase or noticed any thinning from Minoxidil prior to this?
Maybe my hair is fairly thick. It's mostly been the balding patch on my crown that came out of nowhere....I think it's a medication / stress induced issue too

Attachments

• 20211222_120808.jpg
    20211222_120808.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 134

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe my hair is fairly thick. It's mostly been the balding patch on my crown that came out of nowhere....I think it's a medication / stress induced issue too

Fortunately it seems like minor hairloss just a patch. You didn't answer my question above so I can't exactly answer your initial question.

However, if you suspect it to be the medication you're on, it typically is the case. Check the side effects on the internet and the pamphlet that came with the medication. Specifically searching for *medication name* + "hairloss", should help.

Suprisingly quite a few meds cause hairloss.

Regarding stress, you need to do 2 things:

1) Exercise atleast 4 times a week, if you aren't already, as it helps you body efficiently handle stress and also keeps your body and mind more strong and thereby resilient to any stressor both physical or non.

2) Try taking an ashwaganda supplement.
It helps with stress and is natural.

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fortunately it seems like minor hairloss just a patch. You didn't answer my question above so I can't exactly answer your initial question.

However, if you suspect it to be the medication you're on, it typically is the case. Check the side effects on the internet and the pamphlet that came with the medication. Specifically searching for *medication name* + "hairloss", should help.

Suprisingly quite a few meds cause hairloss.

Regarding stress, you need to do 2 things:

1) Exercise atleast 4 times a week, if you aren't already, as it helps you body efficiently handle stress and also keeps your body and mind more strong and thereby resilient to any stressor both physical or non.

2) Try taking an ashwaganda supplement.
It helps with stress and is natural.
Hi Mickey, it didn't seem like I went through a shedding phase. I never noticed. I've only noticed my crown patch. I'm withdrawing from a benzodiazepine and many people reported thinning when withdrawing from it....I appreciate the tips

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Mickey, it didn't seem like I went through a shedding phase. I never noticed. I've only noticed my crown patch. I'm withdrawing from a benzodiazepine and many people reported thinning when withdrawing from it....I appreciate the tips

Hi man, no problem.

Well maybe this is the shedding phase you were meant to have with Minoxidil. There will be multiple shedding phases along the way, they will happen at no fixed time.

Or could also or only be from the medication. Glad you figured out it's very likely the meds at least at play.

The key is not to panic when the sheds do eventually come from Minoxidil and stay on Minoxidil otherwise you will lose all your gains.

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
Every hair loss forum post is the same

"I'm on X product and it's not working as well as expected"

Ok, so? Either you're not on it, and you go bald like nature intended, or you're on it, which is a net positive. What else can you do other than that? Then whatever happens happens.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Ok, so? Either you're not on it, and you go bald like nature intended, or you're on it, which is a net positive. What else can you do other than that? Then whatever happens happens.

No, that's assuming there's no alternative treatments available.

Fortunately there are alternatives.

Ofcourse I'm not saying he should stop Minoxidil, as I implied already, but there are alternatives.
Since he started with Minoxidil he should continue as it's probably just a shed from his oral medication. Gotta give Minoxidil at least 1 year to judge its effectiveness combined with Microneedling for a year.

Results without Microneedling are usually minor relative to what can be achieved with Microneedling.

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
No, that's assuming there's no alternative treatments available.

Fortunately there are alternatives.

Ofcourse I'm not saying he should stop Minoxidil, as I implied already, but there are alternatives.
Since he started with Minoxidil he should continue as it's probably just a shed from his oral medication. Gotta give Minoxidil at least 1 year to judge its effectiveness combined with Microneedling for a year.

Results without Microneedling are usually minor relative to what can be achieved with Microneedling.
You say there are alternative treatments yet you name none, only an addition, microneedling.

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You say there are alternative treatments yet you name none, only an addition, microneedling.
Why are you so negative??! He's helping me assess my situation through observation and application / modification. More minoxidil or oral minoxidil, addition of microneedling, I've been on 0.25mg ED of finasteride for one week. No sides yet. If all is well, I'll increase to 0.5mg ED or 3mg per week. I'll try topical finasteride if sides persist...

Then there's stemoxydine, ru58841, breezula, fluraidil, hair transplant....wig hair fibres...

We're on the Same team here. We're blue-collar scientists, heroes even braving the elements, experimenting with chemicals that could make us permanently impotent with no thanks from anyone...all to fight the bald beast....I will not give up. I will win. You will too nw9000. Hope is ours to own. Any day the cure will be discovered.. til then I'm hoping to not go permanently impotent but if I do it's a small price to pay!

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I can name quite a few, the only reason I didn't mention any is because it was well past midnight in my geographic location so i was too tired to go into length but I definitely can name alternatives.

As the OP mentioned, there are more risky options than Topical Minoxidil, like Oral Minoxidil, RU58841, etc, however there are safer alternatives which are natural so they have a far lower to potentially zero side effects especially when applied topically.

For example, Topical Caffeine topicals are good for blocking DHT on the scalp/hair follicle which is good because drug type anti-androgens typically reduce systemic DHT by inhibiting the 5AR enzyme - which has shown to have negative side effects in far too many people. DHT is the second most important male hormone and it's no wonder why so many men can't tolerate systemic reduction in DHT.
Topical blocking of DHT at the Hair Follicle that does not go systemic is therefore far more safer.

There are many other topicals on the market which are a blend of natural ingredients like HairGuards Biogaine Topical which are all scientifically proven to be beneficial for hair and provide far more hair growth stimulants + topical DHT blockers:

Or Lipogaines blend of Minoxidil + Natural Substances to add more growth factors + DHT blocking natural substances to increase the MOA of their topical.

Then there are multiple reasons for Hairloss with those that suffer from Male Patterned Balding, it's not just an androgen problem.

Other factors include:

1) Stress (both mental, physical and oxidative stress)

2) Poor Diet - which can lead to thinning hair and inflammation which is a big cause of hairloss (many people have poor diets which further accelerate their Male Patterned Balding)

3) Fibrosis

4) Calcification

5) Lack of Exercise

6) Poor Blood Circulation to the Hair Follicles and Scalp Tension

7) Nutritional defiencies and hormonal imbalances - often times can be a byproduct of drug anti-androgens

For each of the 7 points I listed above there are solutions.

Male Pattern Balding treatment requires a multi-faceted approach therefore, and people incorrectly assume just because they have Androgenetic Alopecia that the above listed points magically seize to exist as having issues with any of them can hamper stunt hair growth.

I can discuss them as well but for right now, Im a bit busy so I will leave my response there (has zero to do with me not being able to name alternatives) and I will elaborate on the solutions if anyone would like me to.

Last edited:

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can name quite a few, the only reason I didn't mention any is because it was well past midnight in my geographic location so i was too tired to go into length but I definitely can name alternatives.

As the OP mentioned, there are more risky options than Topical Minoxidil, like Oral Minoxidil, RU58841, etc, however there are safer alternatives which are natural so they have a far lower to potentially zero side effects especially when applied topically.

For example, Topical Caffeine topicals are good for blocking DHT on the scalp/hair follicle which is good because drug type anti-androgens typically reduce systemic DHT by inhibiting the 5AR enzyme - which has shown to have negative side effects in far too many people. DHT is the second most important male hormone and it's no wonder why so many men can't tolerate systemic reduction in DHT.
Topical blocking of DHT at the Hair Follicle that does not go systemic is therefore far more safer.

There are many other topicals on the market which are a blend of natural ingredients like HairGuards Biogaine Topical which are all scientifically proven to be beneficial for hair and provide far more hair growth stimulants + topical DHT blockers:

Or Lipogaines blend of Minoxidil + Natural Substances to add more growth factors + DHT blocking natural substances to increase the MOA of their topical.

Then there are multiple reasons for Hairloss with those that suffer from Male Patterned Balding, it's not just an androgen problem.

Other factors include:

1) Stress (both mental, physical and oxidative stress)

2) Poor Diet - which can lead to thinning hair and inflammation which is a big cause of hairloss (many people have poor diets which further accelerate their Male Patterned Balding)

3) Fibrosis

4) Calcification

5) Lack of Exercise

6) Poor Blood Circulation to the Hair Follicles and Scalp Tension

7) Nutritional defiencies and hormonal imbalances - often times can be a byproduct of drug anti-androgens

For each of the 7 points I listed above there are solutions.

Male Pattern Balding treatment requires a multi-faceted approach therefore, and people incorrectly assume just because they have Androgenetic Alopecia that the above listed points magically seize to exist as having issues with any of them can hamper stunt hair growth.

I can discuss them as well but for right now, Im a bit busy so I will leave my response there (has zero to do with me not being able to name alternatives) and I will elaborate on the solutions if anyone would like me to.
Thank you very much Mickey, i appreciate your wholistic and hopeful reply.

My situation is unusual due to the medication I'm withdrawing from and experiencing physical sickness. About one year ago -a few months after my med withdrawal started my crown became itchy, hair thinning, now hair is vellus and growing short only... This is why I started finasteride and minoxidil: to save hair til. I get my physical withdrawal sides managed. Is it possible to experience stress loss on crown only like me?I would think most people would thin all over but mine mostly crown

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
You guys are overcomplicating everything typical of hair loss forums which lies in a human tendency to desire to see control. Tbh there are only two drugs that legit work work, anti 5ar (finasteride) and minoxidil, and then there are stronger versions (dutasteride and oral minoxidil), so four drugs, and then a bunch of speculative additions. So take your pick from the four - dutasteride and oral minoxidil should pretty much freeze your hair loss until you die. Other than that, again, it is what it is.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You guys are overcomplicating everything typical of hair loss forums which lies in a human tendency to desire to see control. Tbh there are only two drugs that legit work work, anti 5ar (finasteride) and minoxidil, and then there are stronger versions (dutasteride and oral minoxidil), so four drugs, and then a bunch of speculative additions. So take your pick from the four - dutasteride and oral minoxidil should pretty much freeze your hair loss until you die. Other than that, again, it is what it is.

If it "worked" so well then why is the majority of men in this day and age 21 years after Propecia was released still experiencing more hairloss than previous generations. If these 4 drugs you mentioned were so effective, why is it that almost everywhere you look both in your community, or on TV, you see men with bad hairloss. It has not reduced the rate of hairloss for as many people as we are falsely lead to believe, the numbers don't add up.

Also, many people find anti-androgens too harsh and cause side effects.

It's not complicated, it's the truth, hairloss is not a simple problem.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you very much Mickey, i appreciate your wholistic and hopeful reply.

My situation is unusual due to the medication I'm withdrawing from and experiencing physical sickness. About one year ago -a few months after my med withdrawal started my crown became itchy, hair thinning, now hair is vellus and growing short only... This is why I started finasteride and minoxidil: to save hair til. I get my physical withdrawal sides managed. Is it possible to experience stress loss on crown only like me?I would think most people would thin all over but mine mostly crown

You're welcome.

Usually that itching feeling is caused by DHT and inflammation.

Its possible that stopping the medication somehow upregulated the sensitivity of some of your follicles to DHT which caused an accelerated effect on your genetically predisposed male pattern balding. The crown region is a common place for men with Androgenetic Alopecia to start to bald.

Usually people who have stress related hairloss, the hairloss isn't only in one specific area, but it could be a possibility, since everyone is different.

Your hair can take up between 6 months to a year to recover from a very stressful event, since the hair grows in cycles, which makes it hard to tell if it is really stress induced or Androgenetic Alopecia.

Best option is to try a combination of approach that deals with both your stress and potential Androgenetic Alopecia.

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're welcome.

Usually that itching feeling is caused by DHT and inflammation.

Its possible that stopping the medication somehow upregulated the sensitivity of some of your follicles to DHT which caused an accelerated effect on your genetically predisposed male pattern balding. The crown region is a common place for men with Androgenetic Alopecia to start to bald.

Usually people who have stress related hairloss, the hairloss isn't only in one specific area, but it could be a possibility, since everyone is different.

Your hair can take up between 6 months to a year to recover from a very stressful event, since the hair grows in cycles, which makes it hard to tell if it is really stress induced or Androgenetic Alopecia.

Best option is to try a combination of approach that deals with both your stress and potential Androgenetic Alopecia.
I agree Mickey. I think hairloss is complicate and people want easy answers. Certainly something in our modern lifestyles.. so many chemicals. so much toxicity in air, water, and farm land...I think that each generation loses its tolerance for this toxicity - in my humble opinion - such that we are less able to tolerate these conditions.....

Thanks Mickey - The medication I'm withdrawing from valium - in the benzodiazepine class - is a nightmare. I have post acute withdrawal syndrome and it totally wreaks havoc on my hormones, immune system, etc. It causes an increase in fungal and bacterial infections. If you google valium and DHT there are studies confirming a connection but who knows... I do know that many on the withdrawal forum have experienced thinning especially in the crown area. The withdrawal also causes an increase in inflammation either way, I'm on minoxidil and finasteride and I am not going to cut any more valium for at least six months (going to stay at 3mgs) to see what happens. it can take years to come off of this medication in some cases.....

My itching and thinning came out of nowhere ...after about four months of really suffering withdrawal......... I also think that the thinning came out of nowhere BUT maybe I just didnt notice.... I would agree that it seems that reducing the meds and being in a prolonged state of withdrawal has shocked my system and sped up the inevitable balding that was going to start....

it seems unusual that only my crown would thin BUT it also seems unusual that i have hair in the very centre of the crown but a ring of thinning around the patch of hair I still have....

The best approach is a thorough approach. I've added biotin and collagen as well. - it cant hurt.. that and more exercise, cleaner diet less stress etc and yes, I'm going to add ashwaghanda too - thanks! I appreciate your time!