Military Enlistment Information:

CCS

Reaction score
I looked into the military, and did a lot of research:

1. Right now, they have all the people they need because of the economy (except maybe the army). They advertize they may give big bonuses, but they are actually awarding few if any because so many people want jobs. Yes, they are authorized to give big bonuses, but rarely do.

2. If you enlist in the airforce or navy, you will likely be sent to Iraq or Afganistan on loan to the Army, doing patrols along side them. There is no "rear"; it is guarilla urban warfare.

3. If you enlist for even 2 years, they still have you for a total of 8, and can call you back at any time. Even 1 month before your 8 are up, they can call you back and keep you for 400 days.

4. Dispite what your recruiter tells you, the IRR, which you are place in after discharge, is frequently reactivated. It is where you go after you get out. No drilling. Just waiting for you 8 years to end. Many were called back in 1991 for desert storm, and many several times since then, especially in 2004, but also 2006.

5. If you ever get a punishment that reduces your monthly pay by $1200, you no longer qualify for the GI Bill.

6. All pay, bonuses, and other incentives are taxable. College loan repayment is taxable at 28% just for the federal. Also, they only pay 15% per year, which is taxed first, and only starts a year after you finish your training. They are typically late.

7. To use the GI bill in the reserves, you have to still be drilling. Being activated could interrupt your school. And you could be called active for a long time. And once you leave after your 6 years, you are no longer eligible to use the GI bill.

8. When you sign the contract, you are government property. You must get permission from your CO to take any risks (like rock climbing maybe) or supplements. The military must approve propecia for you for you to use it. No guarantee they will. You find out after boot camp. If the corps person in your plantoon feels propecia is a non necessary drug for a cosmet problem, then you better not be caught with it in your room during their thurough inspections or you may end up in prison with a felony on your record. They make your health decisions for you.

9. Most electronics and computer jobs were outsourced to civilian contractors. The job titles remain, but just to lure you in to infantry. The schools typically are 2 months long. But once you get there, you may be doing regular patrols. Likely you will be the guy carrying the radio. Unless you are good and experience, you likely will spend more time cleaning toilets. I tried to sign up for electronics recently, and they would not take me. Dispite the website saying they are short staffed, the recruiter said it is not up to date, and they are overloaded. They have many people waiting 6 months to go to boot camp, and no specialty lined up.

10. During peace time, they make sure to keep you busy making your wall locker perfect. Everything has to be folded and ironed within tolerances which take a very long time to perfect. Maybe this helps people with ADD though, since they must focus to get it done.

11. As for hazard pay (when you are in a fire fight), it is $225 per month, tax free. Typical pay is around $1500 per month. Not counting the long hours, and just basing on 40 hours per week, that is $9 per hour. Higher if you count the food and housing, though I would not since they inspect the housing so much.

12. And if you get injured but there is no blood, they may not believe you. They are not going to give every person and MRI, but they will imprison many for refusal to perform. Might get worse than that in a combat zone. Enlisted people may be put to death without a jury. When you sign the contract, you sign away your constitutional rights. It is a volunteer force, but they totally own you once you are there.

Not bashing the military. Just letting people know what they are getting into if they sign up.

CCS

Reaction score
That said, I'll take any part time job I can get and sell plasma on the side. I'm sure the economy will get much worse though. The unemployement rate (9.6%) is just the people getting benefits. Those no longer eligible for benefits, or independent contractors (like me), or part timers, do not count in that figure. If they did, the real number is about 17%. Who knows how they measured it in 1930.

s.a.f

Reaction score
CCS said:
You must get permission from your CO to take any risks (like rock climbing maybe) or supplements. The military must approve propecia for you for you to use it. No guarantee they will. You find out after boot camp. If the corps person in your plantoon feels propecia is a non necessary drug for a cosmet problem, then you better not be caught with it in your room during their thurough inspections or you may end up in prison with a felony on your record.

Wow just imagine the embarassment of an IED blowing your helmet off and everybody sees you're balding. :blush:

oni

Reaction score
Wow just imagine the embarassment of an IED blowing your helmet off and everybody sees you're balding.

Yeah but CCS would have his army issue hair system............................. :whistle:

1221646708_505.jpg

http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/pag ... rowid=1120

cuebald

Reaction score
CCS if I were you I'd get out of Texas first off.

Reaction score
Sounds like they shaft you good and proper. f*** the army, my life is worth more than dying in some sh*t hole as a pawn in someone else's war, and occupying countries under false pretences. Each to their own though

Obsidian

Reaction score
What's wrong with Texas?

HughJass

Reaction score
CCS said:
3. If you enlist for even 2 years, they still have you for a total of 8, and can call you back at any time. Even 1 month before your 8 are up, they can call you back and keep you for 400 days.

what an irresistable deal

Jm0311

Reaction score
This is probably the one of the most ignorant and misinformed threads about the military I have ever read.

CCS said:
I looked into the military, and did a lot of research:

1. Right now, they have all the people they need because of the economy (except maybe the army). They advertize they may give big bonuses, but they are actually awarding few if any because so many people want jobs. Yes, they are authorized to give big bonuses, but rarely do.

This is false - You know, before signing the contract whether or not you will get a bonus

2. If you enlist in the airforce or navy, you will likely be sent to Iraq or Afganistan on loan to the Army, doing patrols along side them. There is no "rear"; it is guarilla urban warfare.

This is also false - Depending on your job title you could be inside a FOB the whole time or if you have a combat related job. Then yes, you could be doing patrols because that is what you signed up for.

Ignorant Post - Research Stop Loss and Military Members Rights

4. Dispite what your recruiter tells you, the IRR, which you are place in after discharge, is frequently reactivated. It is where you go after you get out. No drilling. Just waiting for you 8 years to end. Many were called back in 1991 for desert storm, and many several times since then, especially in 2004, but also 2006.

You could be called back. But the chance of this is very very very slim. I dont have the exact figueres but I would say maybe out of 30,000 IRR members for a certain branch maybe 1,500 were called back in 2006. Again, you signed up for this.

5. If you ever get a punishment that reduces your monthly pay by $1200, you no longer qualify for the GI Bill.

Could be true....but looking at the rest of this thread its probably not

6. All pay, bonuses, and other incentives are taxable. College loan repayment is taxable at 28% just for the federal. Also, they only pay 15% per year, which is taxed first, and only starts a year after you finish your training. They are typically late.

Of course they are taxed. But you dont have to pay state taxes which is a plus

7. To use the GI bill in the reserves, you have to still be drilling. Being activated could interrupt your school. And you could be called active for a long time. And once you leave after your 6 years, you are no longer eligible to use the GI bill.

It is not after 6 years, get your facts straight

8. When you sign the contract, you are government property. You must get permission from your CO to take any risks (like rock climbing maybe) or supplements. The military must approve propecia for you for you to use it. No guarantee they will. You find out after boot camp. If the corps person in your plantoon feels propecia is a non necessary drug for a cosmet problem, then you better not be caught with it in your room during their thurough inspections or you may end up in prison with a felony on your record. They make your health decisions for you.

This^ is the most ridiculous part of the thread

9. Most electronics and computer jobs were outsourced to civilian contractors. The job titles remain, but just to lure you in to infantry. The schools typically are 2 months long. But once you get there, you may be doing regular patrols. Likely you will be the guy carrying the radio. Unless you are good and experience, you likely will spend more time cleaning toilets. I tried to sign up for electronics recently, and they would not take me. Dispite the website saying they are short staffed, the recruiter said it is not up to date, and they are overloaded. They have many people waiting 6 months to go to boot camp, and no specialty lined up.

Again..........Ignorancy

10. During peace time, they make sure to keep you busy making your wall locker perfect. Everything has to be folded and ironed within tolerances which take a very long time to perfect. Maybe this helps people with ADD though, since they must focus to get it done.

Again..........Ignorancy

11. As for hazard pay (when you are in a fire fight), it is $225 per month, tax free. Typical pay is around $1500 per month. Not counting the long hours, and just basing on 40 hours per week, that is $9 per hour. Higher if you count the food and housing, though I would not since they inspect the housing so much.

This is not "if you are in a firefight" LMAO! You could be in Bahrain sitting on your *** as an Admin Clerk and still receive hazard pay......this is because you are in a particular "Theatre" that would be considered hazardous.

12. And if you get injured but there is no blood, they may not believe you. They are not going to give every person and MRI, but they will imprison many for refusal to perform. Might get worse than that in a combat zone. Enlisted people may be put to death without a jury. When you sign the contract, you sign away your constitutional rights. It is a volunteer force, but they totally own you once you are there.

LMAO^

Not bashing the military. Just letting people know what they are getting into if they sign up.

Not bashing your thread. Just letting you know that you should get correct information. Message me if anyone needs more info

Jm0311

Reaction score
Leon S Habsburg said:
Sounds like they shaft you good and proper. f*ck the army, my life is worth more than dying in some sh*t hole as a pawn in someone else's war, and occupying countries under false pretences. Each to their own though

False Pretences??????????? LMAO

Jm0311

Reaction score
Leon S Habsburg said:
Sounds like they shaft you good and proper. f*ck the army, my life is worth more than dying in some sh*t hole as a pawn in someone else's war, and occupying countries under false pretences. Each to their own though

False Pretences??????????? LMAO

Jm0311

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
did they find those WMD's then

I hadn't heard......

The connection to terrorist groups, oppression of the Iraqi people, ridding the torture facilities saddamm used, etc were all good enough pretences for me.

This is coming from a person who went there twice and interacted with the people of that country on a daily basis.

Have you been there?

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Jm0311 said:
The connection to terrorist groups, oppression of the Iraqi people, ridding the torture facilities saddamm used, etc were all good enough pretences for me.

This is coming from a person who went there twice and interacted with the people of that country on a daily basis.

Have you been there?

You make no sense as usual. From your post I see that your understanding of geo-politics and the middle east is zero.

Saddam kept the place in check for a long time..... he was a dictator, but that is the type of managerial style that works around that neighborhood.

Torture facilities?............you mean like the Guantanamo prison camp ?

The Iraqi people DO NOT want you there "interacting" as you call it.

It's all about OIL. ...... nothing else.

HughJass

Reaction score
Jm0311 said:
aussieavodart said:
did they find those WMD's then

I hadn't heard......

Have you been there?

lol

or should I say yawn

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
patagonia said:

Baloney. That's a really shallow analysis.

ali777

Reaction score
Bryan said:
patagonia said:

I wander if Bryan has ever been outside the US, a weekend trip to Mexico or Canada doesn't count.

Bryan must be the type of perfect citizen that the establishment likes. He's clever, yet his political analysis are in line with what the establishment preaches. A loyal servant of the cause :punk:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
I wander if Bryan has ever been outside the US, a weekend trip to Mexico or Canada doesn't count.

And the significance of that is....?

Reaction score
Bryan said:
patagonia said:

It's about more than oil, that is part of it, but there are multiple reasons, business interests for one, not to mention USA coming to Israel's help and get a foothold in middle east, Israel's leaders are all terrorists, by USA's own interpretation of the word!

I used to think that Israel was America's attack dog, now I think it's the other way round. USA gov is also scared of Muslims as they are the fastest growing religion in the world.

Obama is a massive disappointment, can't believe I almost got took in by his bullshit. Do you remember analysts saying during the campaign that he was light on issues? That was a deliberate campaign strategy based on the idea that if you give people a blank piece of paper, only make light comments on certain issues, then the electorate will project their own meaning on to the white paper, they will fill in the gaps so to speak.

It worked perfectly, and now the Conservative party in the UK are copying their strategy, saw the news a few days ago and their campaign is titled 'this is it' on a piece of paper, lame!

Liars and deceivers all.