Mid 40s Big 3 + Dermaroller Experiment

Jake Burner

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am currently in my mid 40s and have been slowly balding since about 30-ish.

It 's important to note that the balding process has been really slow one for me. I am not the archetypal 21 yrs old guy with clumps of hair falling out, so in reading this story, remember, as with anything hair loss related - YMMV.

Family background: My Dad has a chrome dome and had very early onset greyness/whiteness and baldness in his early to mid 20s. The men on my Mother's side of the family have pretty good hair with slowly receding hairlines and eventual baldness in concert with the aging process around 50s - 60s if I would hazard a guess.

From my physical appearance and experienced baldness progression, I think that I likely sit in the same genetic category as the men on my Mother's side.

Reason for experiment: When I first started balding in my early 30s my immediate solution was to get a buzzcut and consider the hair loss problem solved. I always thought that people who cared a lot about hair loss were pretty vain and should probably worry about other more important things.

What changed my mind on this was a chance conversation with a friend who has had success using Propecia. They had responded well, looked great and had experienced minimal side effects in the downstairs dept.

In the past I myself had briefly looked into Minoxidil and Finasteride, but it all seemed like a bit of a hassle and I was a little put off by the potential side effects in the case of Finasteride. However, given the positive feedback, and the fact that I am now at a stage in my life where I am happily married with 3 lovely kids I was probably more prepared to take a risk with my high sex drive and any possible side effects from the Finasteride.

In fact if anything happened on the ED front in terms of side effects I have a sneaking feeling that my wife might actually be grateful!

Speaking of that dept. I have never had issues with getting it up, I have experienced morning wood almost every morning of my adult life and as evidenced by my 3 kids have had zero fertility issues. Our friends joke that I just have to look at my wife to get her pregnant.

Regimen: 1.25mg Finasteride daily, Regaine brand 5% Minoxidil foam AM and PM, Ketoconazole 2% shampoo daily (I had already been using this to treat seborrheic dermatitis and my combination skin type). 1.5mm dermaroller once per week, drawing a spot of blood here and there with immediate application of Minoxidil to the wounded area.

I am a science guy, so strict on the regimen and have followed it to a tee for the last 49 days, since beginning July 1 and here is the update so far:
E22F6C62-1AFD-4EBC-BB3F-4A40F73D9D88.jpeg

Last edited:

BadInvertor

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It clearly is a difference from what my eyes see but i think it's kind of early to take conclusions.. At your stage or hair loss i think it would take kind of an a year mark to really see some big cosmetic improvements, at least my opinion ! Good luck and keep us posted !

Remember that once you stop, all the progress will be lost, if you really want hair i think the only solution we got at least for now is a hair transplant, for a real cosmetic effect, much faster and without the risks of meds.. At least my opinion !

Last edited:

Jake Burner

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think I can see something starting to happen. I really wasn’t expecting anything until 4 months or more so that’s encouraging.

You are most definitely right though about the hair transplant. If after a year I haven’t seen a major improvement with the current regimen I will be getting a FUE procedure done.

BadInvertor

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think I can see something starting to happen. I really wasn’t expecting anything until 4 months or more so that’s encouraging.

You are most definitely right though about the hair transplant. If after a year I haven’t seen a major improvement with the current regimen I will be getting a FUE procedure done.

Even if you see improvement after a year, a big one, it's only an illusion in my opinion because it's "artificial hair" that is being kept by the medicine you take... If you drop the medicine, the hair is gone... I had a different opinion until now but i changed it and i had like a "revelation" and i strongly think that it's not worth the struggle.. It's the best thing i think at least for now, to just get a hair transplant and that's that, at least that hair you have the guarantee that won't fall at least 10 years, especially if it's implanted from the beard, chest, etc !
But you know how it is, everybody with his owns opinions, and this is mine :)
I wish you good luck anyways and keep us posted, any update is great and informative for all of us !

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely some improvement, if i were you i would also start rolling lightly before applying minoxidil, not enough to bleed just mild redness along with your weekly session of going a bit harder.

Jake Burner

My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely some improvement, if i were you i would also start rolling lightly before applying minoxidil, not enough to bleed just mild redness along with your weekly session of going a bit harder.

Thanks for the reply. I will try out what you suggested, although it may be a little time consuming for me long term.