Microneedling: Roller vs Pen vs...?

Pianist

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all. First post here... Trying to learn best treatment options.

Looks like I'm gonna try microneedling and Minoxidil for the first time. I will not take Finasteride (not so important to explain why, at this point).

So here's my main question:

What is the most effective device type for microneedling? Is it ROLLER or PEN or something else? What's the general consensus on this from experienced folks like you? I'm hoping to get real information rather than a sales pitch... When people promote derma pens vs derma rollers - are they talking the truth or is that a sales pitch? Are pens actually more effective?

Next question would be a recommendation of a particular model that is good and effective, if you don't mind.

Thank you!

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve seen mixed signals on this. Interestingly enough the most drastic results I’ve seen have incorporated a roller in some way. I’d recommend maybe including it even if you use the pen. So maybe a daily use of roller and weekly use of the pen

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Microneedling is far superior to dermarolling. Reasoning behind that fact is due to the wound created. Dermarolling creates "V" shaped wounds. Picture the needle rolling over the scalp... it doesn't just go in straight up and down, it rolls into it, which causes the excess damage. Microneedling does go straight up and down, so it makes cleaner "I" shaped wounds. It heals much faster. You can also go deeper and have less damage since you aren't making a huge wound.

Being able to adjust on the fly is nice as well. Some parts of your scalp are thicker and require more depth, other spots are thinner and need less. I use .62mm towards front, 1.5mm near crown.

Dermastamping would be a better option than dermarolling if you don't want a microneedling device.

I started with a dermaroller and swapped to a microneedling device after about 2 months. I use a Dr. Pen A6 ultima. Bought it on Ebay for around $60.

I use 12 needles because when I was researching it the people with the best results used 12. I'm not sure if more needles would really change anything.. but I know when dermarolling, more needles was significantly worse for me.

Last edited:

Pianist

My Regimen
Reaction score
Microneedling is far superior to dermarolling. Reasoning behind that fact is due to the wound created. Dermarolling creates "V" shaped wounds. Picture the needle rolling over the scalp... it doesn't just go in straight up and down, it rolls into it, which causes the excess damage. Microneedling does go straight up and down, so it makes cleaner "I" shaped wounds. It heals much faster. You can also go deeper and have less damage since you aren't making a huge wound.

Being able to adjust on the fly is nice as well. Some parts of your scalp are thicker and require more depth, other spots are thinner and need less. I use .62mm towards front, 1.5mm near crown.

Dermastamping would be a better option than dermarolling if you don't want a microneedling device.

I started with a dermaroller and swapped to a microneedling device after about 2 months. I use a Dr. Pen A6 ultima. Bought it on Ebay for around $60.

I use 12 needles because when I was researching it the people with the best results used 12. I'm not sure if more needles would really change anything.. but I know when dermarolling, more needles was significantly worse for me.

Thanks. I ordered A6 as well. Have your research pointed to optimal speed on A6 for hair growth? What speed are you running at?

N1TR4M

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Pianist and others,

I am in the same boat as you, just 3 months later.

I am thinking about buying the A6 as well

I am curious if anyone knows about the speed as well. Max setting?

Zoobop

My Regimen
Reaction score
I did the stamp for years and saw no results from it - and I responded really well when I started other stuff such as minoxidil and finasteride. I would definitely say pen or stamp vs roller unless your head is shaved as you really don't want to tug, pull or damage the hair follicles themselves, only interact with the scalp. That said, I do know of at least one person on the forums that responded really well to microneedling.