Microneedling + Minoxidil Worked For You?

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I apply 5% Regaine twice a day although it has stopped working for me. I have read the study about microneedling once per week, and applying minoxidil twice on the other 6 days. Has anyone implemented this successfully? Has anyone used to get minoxidil to work where it had previously stopped working? Any tweaks to this regimen you'd advise?

Thanks
Spoon

simtastic

Reaction score
Using Minoxidil just after Dermarolling increases its absorption into the scalp, thus making minoxidil more effective.

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
I went through a phase of dermarolling right before applying the minoxidil, although it worked better, I had to stop as I was noticing heart palpitations the following mornings.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I went through a phase of dermarolling right before applying the minoxidil, although it worked better, I had to stop as I was noticing heart palpitations the following mornings.

Was that with 5% minoxidil ? Minoxidil 15% knocked me the f*** out, I felt the systematic absorbption very well, I think that dermarolling + minoxidil 15% would have been a death wish for me.
Anyhow, now I am using the foam and not feeling any systematic absorption side effects, so for the fun of it I'd be willing to try dermarolling a couple of times. What size were you using, 0.5mm?

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
Was that with 5% minoxidil ? Minoxidil 15% knocked me the f*** out, I felt the systematic absorbption very well, I think that dermarolling + minoxidil 15% would have been a death wish for me.
Anyhow, now I am using the foam and not feeling any systematic absorption side effects, so for the fun of it I'd be willing to try dermarolling a couple of times. What size were you using, 0.5mm?

Was just using standard kirkland 5% liquid with the 0.5mm. I felt fine after applying, its just EVERY morning after doing this I would get heart palpitations. Mabye you wont get them, its worth a shot imo because it did make a fair amount of hair pop up very quickly.

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
So everyone is derma rolling everyday before minoxidil even though the study used once per week on a non-minoxidil day?

I bought a 1.5mm roller and it's not pleasant but not unbearable by any means as i keep reading. How does one know how hard to press?

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok after googling away i gather there are two phenom at work here. 0.5mm every day before minoxidil to increase absorption and 1.5mm every week on non-minoxidil day to produce growth factors, or something like that. Right?

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was just using standard kirkland 5% liquid with the 0.5mm. I felt fine after applying, its just EVERY morning after doing this I would get heart palpitations. Mabye you wont get them, its worth a shot imo because it did make a fair amount of hair pop up very quickly.

Thanks for your reply. I took oral minoxidil before so I know how unpleasant those heart palpitations can be. With the foam I'm basically not feeling anything so I'll give dermarolling a try before each application. By the way, just wondering, I normally apply the foam on damp hair/scalp after a shower, would it be alright to dermaroll on slightly wet hair/scalp ?
If so I'll give this a shot and watch out for any side effects.

Folliwake

Reaction score
Many people have just tried derma rolling once a week, with limited success. The idea to use 2 different derma roller sizes, at different interval periods, came to my attention a few weeks ago from a user on a different hair loss forum. As most people have just tried using the 1.5mm derma roller once a week and did not experience much hair regrowth, I would suggest that you do as you have written above:

1. Use a 1.5mm derma roller once a week to stimulate regrowth

2. Use a 0.5mm derma roller every day to increase absorption

Please let us know how you get on, and please also try to ignore the naysayers who are just negative. The placebo effect is a very real phenomenon; half the battle is won or lost in the mind! If you believe that a treatment is not going to work right from the outset then you are actually reducing the chances of that treatment being successful for you, even if the treatment is indeed viable.

Heart palpitations are a common side effect of Minoxidil as Minoxidil is a blood pressure lowering drug.

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Folliwake. I'll do as suggested.

Just spent last night going through the whole swisstemples story protocol...blimey!

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I took oral minoxidil before so I know how unpleasant those heart palpitations can be. With the foam I'm basically not feeling anything so I'll give dermarolling a try before each application. By the way, just wondering, I normally apply the foam on damp hair/scalp after a shower, would it be alright to dermaroll on slightly wet hair/scalp ?
If so I'll give this a shot and watch out for any side effects.

I only ever did it with a fully dry head, so I can't answer that one.