Microneedling In Androgenetic Alopecia; Comparing Two Different Depths Of Microneedles

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can’t bloom’n well find the original post / dermaneedling forum?

Anyway I did see it. It’s interesting that all patients saw results.

Yet not all of us see results. Including me.

We desperately need some official guides from these people showing exactly how they did it and doses etc...

For instance if you’ve got long thick hair 1mm needling will need a needle longer than 1mm to account for that.

We need precision :-(

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm still a firm believer that everyone has a different depth that will be optimal for them due to us all having variations in our scalp thickness. I know for myself, the depth I use for my crown is drastically different than the depth I need for my hairline. I believe if microneedling continues to be a treatment for hairloss it would be greatly beneficial if we had a way to test scalp thickness in order to cutomize our depths for the various regions of our scalps.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm still a firm believer that everyone has a different depth that will be optimal for them due to us all having variations in our scalp thickness. I know for myself, the depth I use for my crown is drastically different than the depth I need for my hairline. I believe if microneedling continues to be a treatment for hairloss it would be greatly beneficial if we had a way to test scalp thickness in order to cutomize our depths for the various regions of our scalps.

Yes this is awesome thinking and we have no idea if Follica or any of the other trials did this / do this

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks for posting this.
I'm covering 0.5mm every day
and 1.5 mm once per week

5minutesbeforemiracle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Recent paper
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32897622/
Conclusion: microneedling with a depth of 0.6 mm in combination with minoxidil is more effective than minoxidil monotherapy in patients with Androgenetic Alopecia in terms of hair count and hair thickness. This depth of penetration tended to be more beneficial than depth of 1.2 mm.
I don't think this is really definitive. What you can determine from this paper is that 0.6mm depth is better than 1.2mm AT THAT FREQUENCY OF APPLICATION ("bi-weeky" application, whatever that means). Maybe at a frequency of once every 4 weeks then 1.2mm would be better than 0.6mm. Too many variables weren't tested.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think this is really definitive. What you can determine from this paper is that 0.6mm depth is better than 1.2mm AT THAT FREQUENCY OF APPLICATION ("bi-weeky" application, whatever that means). Maybe at a frequency of once every 4 weeks then 1.2mm would be better than 0.6mm. Too many variables weren't tested.

And here we are in a forum where folks debate of sides of finasteride instead of starting to experiment and report. What a wasted opportunity.

Paulito9x9

My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't 0.6mm too short to reach the dermis? I suppose it would then mostly just boost minoxidil absoption...which could also be dangerous. I've experienced first hand what applying minoxidil to a disrupted scalp can do to you.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks for posting this.
I'm covering 0.5mm every day
and 1.5 mm once per week
I just switched to this too. There are much more success stories from increased frequency of rolling. Absorption is more important than we think.