Microneedling Does it just make topicals more effective?

potatopirate

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does it actually work? If so how? Is it actually helpful in itself or does it just make topical's more effective?

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it works else how could these non-responders to other treatments start growing hair?

potatopirate

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it works else how could these non-responders to other treatments start growing hair?

Yea but that's my point, is it just used to help topical's be more effective, or is it in itself a growth stimulant

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it works synergistically with Minoxidil. Microneedling can encourage hair growth on its own, but it also creates perforations in the skin through which Minoxidil can be more readily absorbed, resulting in better absorption.

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long does microneedling keep the "window open" for enhanced topical delivery? I think at max 3 days but that is in the face study.
If others have similar studies please post them. I don't have time now but a good start would be "microneedling and micropore closure time."

Transepidermal water loss, stratum corneum hydration, and skin erythema were measured at baseline, immediately after treatment, 4 hours after treatment, and 8 hours after treatment and at 24-hour intervals for 3 days.

Results: Prompt recovery of barrier function (within 72 hours) was observed after microneedle treatment. Conclusion: Microneedle treatment is simple and inexpensive, and the skin barrier disruption it causes resolves quickly. Therefore, it can serve as an effective physical method of enhancing transdermal delivery of medications for the treatment of many cosmetic and dermatological conditions

The ranking of predicted t1/2 was as follows: Latinos, 20.4 ± 9.9 h > Blacks, 19.3 ± 9.0 h > Whites, 17.8 ± 11.0 h > Bi-/multi-racial, 17.4 ± 10.1 h > Asians, 14.1 ± 8.7 h > Native American/Hawaiian, 11.24 h.

No significant differences in predicted t1/2 were observed between any of the studied ethnic/racial groups (p > 0.05). Based on general principles of pharmacokinetics, a window of 3–5 half-lives can be used to describe the timeframe at which ~ 87.5 to 97% of micropores are expected to be closed, thereby prohibiting further drug absorption through the micropores15.

Based on this approach, the micropore closure window was calculated for each group: 61.2–102.0 h for Latinos, 57.9–96.5 h for Blacks, 53.3–88.8 h for Whites, 52.2–87.0 h for Bi-/multi-racial, 42.4–70.6 h for Asians, and 33.7–56.2 h for the Native American/Hawaiian.

Last edited:

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea but that's my point, is it just used to help topical's be more effective, or is it in itself a growth stimulant

It's a growth stimulant on its own.
Studies show Microneedling + Minoxidil generated 3 to 4 times more hairs than Minoxidil alone.

joseph castelli

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you perform microneedling? How many times do you roll over the same area? I hear too much conflicting info on the technique.

joseph castelli

My Regimen
Reaction score
I doubt that this is that well understood and that you will find very strong arguments here.

To my knowledge, the best literature on minoxidil + needling is probably this paper here:

(PDF) A Randomized Controlled, Single-Observer Blinded Study to Determine the Efficacy of Topical Minoxidil plus Microneedling versus Topical Minoxidil Alone in the Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia (researchgate.net)

So if you want to "follow the literature", you could do exactly what is said here in the "Materials and Methods" section. (The PDF is available.) Amongst other things, they say

"A derma roller of needle length 1.5mm (ReGe Roller System; Geosmatic Cosmeceuticals and Cosmocare, Pune, India) was rolled over the affected areas of the scalp after proper cleansing in all directions (longitudinal, vertical, and diagonal) until pinpoint bleeding was noted, which was considered as the end point of the procedure. All patients were instructed not to apply minoxidil on the day of procedure and to resume its application 24h thereafter."

But I don't think there is any problem with deviating from that in various ways and being flexible about it.
The directions above are not what has been recommended. The directions I was told were to derma roll after application of the topical in the said directions vertical, diagonal, etc., and not to the point of bleeding. Not sure who to believe now.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The directions above are not what has been recommended. The directions I was told were to derma roll after application of the topical in the said directions vertical, diagonal, etc., and not to the point of bleeding. Not sure who to believe now.

Make sure you do not use Minoxidil (or any other topical) on the same day of Microneedling, only use Minoxidil 24 hours after Microneedling to prevent too much systemic absorption which can result in an increased possibility of side effects from Minoxidil.

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can one get benefits from microneedling while taking oral minoxidil instead? Or is it not worth doing in the absence of a topical treatment?

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am inclined to think that microneedling enhances the action of oral Minoxidil. The microneedling (slightly) injures the tissue where it is done and should cause an increase in bloodflow to that area. That, in turn, should cause more Minoxidil to infuse the skin tissue. This action is different than the "puncturing" or "laceration" action which would increase the absorption and effectiveness of topical Minoxidil.

Lurker otto

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can one get benefits from microneedling while taking oral minoxidil instead? Or is it not worth doing in the absence of a topical treatment?
Hi bro, if i remember correctly you were taking sublingual minoxidil right?
Could you please share your dose and results?
Thanks!

gman95

My Regimen
Reaction score
no there's youtubers who have grown hair just doing