Micro-needling The Donor Area Before Hair Transplant?

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been micro-needling with 2.25mm using the Derminator on my temples/crown on a regular basis.
I was wondering what people's thoughts are on micro-needling the donor area as well. The back+sides are less susceptible to the miniaturisation, but is it possible that it could also benefit from some needling to improve the quality of donor hair, as well as the general health of the scalp? Obviously I will stop weeks before the procedure...

OfficialWater

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2.25 mm Jesus. Don’t worry about the quality of the donor hair it’s not going to make a noticeable difference in that amount of time. Either you’re a good candidate or not.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2.25 mm Jesus. Don’t worry about the quality of the donor hair it’s not going to make a noticeable difference in that amount of time. Either you’re a good candidate or not.

I'm in my mid 40's with NW3v, which should in theory make me a reasonably good candidate.
2.25mm is the maximum length of Derminator. To be fair, sometimes I push less hard so the penetration was probably more likely 1.5-1.7mm, which is close to the 1.5mm used in the Indian study. The study was over a duration of 12 weeks. I do have another 4 months before the procedure, so I'm hoping it might have some benefits by then?
I have been doing microneedling for 1.5 years now, starting from 0.5mm and increased up to 2.25mm recently. It's difficult to tell if it made any improvement, but it certainly did no damage.