Micro Needling + Regaine Foam/minoxidil — The Best Method

Statto

My Regimen
Reaction score
So yesterday I started using my newly purchased derma roller to micro needle my scalp. I (stupidly) pricked my scalp using the 1.5mm head and then a few minutes later rubbed in some Regaine Foam. Within moments my heart beat went right up and I felt irritable for a few minutes. I rushed to the bathroom and drenched my scalp to remove all the minoxidil from it, and the symptoms soon passed.

I did do research on this prior to doing it, but I ignored the fact that you should not put Regaine on your scalp so soon after.

My question is, what is the best way to micro needle and use Regaine? I’ve read different things — some people say micro needle once a week with a 1.5mm head, others say everyday with a 0.3mm or 0.5mm. I know that during the study they did a few years back, they asked users to use a 1.5mm head and wait 24 hours before applying minoxidil.

I also read that the mini wounds caused by the micro needling heal up in 20–60 minutes depending on the depth of them. How does that benefit absorption though if you’re not meant to apply Regaine until 24 hours later (as was done in the study)?

inmyhead

Reaction score
Seems like pure placebo.. You washed the scalp - and your symptoms dissapeared. Even though minoxidil was still in your blood lol

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do anything different than the Indian study that produced results? In that, they applied minoxidil after microneedling no sooner than twenty-four hours after. Then repeat in five weeks. People here dermaroll from every three days or weekly and apply immediately which seems extreme to me and unecessary.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do anything different than the Indian study that produced results? In that, they applied minoxidil after microneedling no sooner than twenty-four hours after. Then repeat in five weeks. People here dermaroll from every three days or weekly and apply immediately which seems extreme to me and unecessary.
If I recall correctly, the microneedling group in the study was using 1.5mm weekly. Their discussion stated 'different sizes of needles of the dermaroller, frequency, duration and end point of the procedure are yet to be answered.'. It would be nice if they could conduct a study of comparison between varying lengths/duration between each session.
I guess some beginners preferred to start with shorter lengths, then slowly build it up. I personally started off 0.5mm roller, moved onto 1mm dermastamp, and now on 1.5-2mm length using Derminator (faster, hence allowing more depth with tolerable pain). With 1mm, I felt that the scalp recovered fairly quickly; there were no signs of any wounding after the second day, so for a while I was dermastamping 2-3 times a week, with Minoxidil application immediately after. I have so far only done the 1.5-2mm once so far, almost a week ago; I feel that I am just about ready for another session.
As far as I know, I never experienced the symptoms of heart palpitation. Perhaps I'm simply a non-responder to Minoxidil.

Last edited:

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think once a week at 1.5mm then leave for 12-24 hours before applying anything is the most effective way. Constantly wounding may help absorption but may leave you open to infection and the chances of minoxidil getting into the blood stream. I believe Hellhouser only does it every 3 weeks now as that is the sweet time frame for his regrowth. We are all different though, best off experimenting to see what works best for you.

Reactions: Oro

Hairtalkerr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm 28 yo from Morocco(excuse me for my english but I think you will get the point) and new member in the forum,I've been using minoxidil during the last 3 months and I think that the drug is working pretty well since I can see new hair regrowing .I have to precise that I use more than 1 ml each time I apply it because I'm at my sixth bottle of 60 ml in just 3 months and this is because I have to cover all my head since I have lost like 60% of my hair.I just bought a dermaroller today (0,5 mm only).my question is should I use it even if I m having good results right now just with minoxidil and when and at which frequency?
I take also 2 pills that contains different vitamins because I eat everyday in fast foods and I smoke a lot and drink 4 days/7...just to say that I have really bad habits at the time.
PS: I have started to lose my hair since I was 18 yo

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm 28 yo from Morocco(excuse me for my english but I think you will get the point) and new member in the forum,I've been using minoxidil during the last 3 months and I think that the drug is working pretty well since I can see new hair regrowing .I have to precise that I use more than 1 ml each time I apply it because I'm at my sixth bottle of 60 ml in just 3 months and this is because I have to cover all my head since I have lost like 60% of my hair.I just bought a dermaroller today (0,5 mm only).my question is should I use it even if I m having good results right now just with minoxidil and when and at which frequency?
I take also 2 pills that contains different vitamins because I eat everyday in fast foods and I smoke a lot and drink 4 days/7...just to say that I have really bad habits at the time.
PS: I have started to lose my hair since I was 18 yo
I would just carry on without derma rolling until the Minoxidil becomes less effective and then derma roll to get a boost.

Skeetzer81

My Regimen
Reaction score
Please help I did this every day for a week and half and I am scared I might have done serious damage

I noticed some veins in forhead

Hairtalkerr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been microneedling with a 1.5 mm exactly before using rogaine twice now. Had no side effects
New

Hey,
I have used a dermaroller for the first time today (I wet my hair with water+argan oil) and I started to do it very nicely with the 0.5 mm.But I have noticed that many hairs were cut) and I have watched a lot of videos so I can do it correctly but I could not handle the fact that I have hairs in my hand when I was doing it...so I stopped...is it normal ??

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
New

Hey,
I have used a dermaroller for the first time today (I wet my hair with water+argan oil) and I started to do it very nicely with the 0.5 mm.But I have noticed that many hairs were cut) and I have watched a lot of videos so I can do it correctly but I could not handle the fact that I have hairs in my hand when I was doing it...so I stopped...is it normal ??

Hello. How hard are you actually dermarolling? Check this vid out: