MHE delays--looking for alternative

yourMom<3sMyHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using Curtis's units (.03mm invisiskin) for years now and am generally happy with them. I ordered a replacement around six months ago and he has no idea when I'm going to receive it. I understand his situation, but it's really frustrating that he doesn't have a clue as to when I'm going to receive my unit.

I'm looking for recommendations for a comparable unit that is gas permeable. I'm also open to lace if it really kicks ***. I've never ordered from anyone else aside from my first unit which was done by a local shop and was absolutely a joke. I'm in the states. Thanks.

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your struggles. It really is surreal to me just how much turmoil this industry fell into during Covid and is STILL in. I always thought at least some work gets done in China regularly but apparently with some companies its Korea or bust and based on what I've heard their border is still closed. Now they have had to resort to training people within China to start making systems. Are you looking for a lighter color? Bc I thought Curtis said he was finally getting some darker invisikin's back in.

I know that on Lordhair and Lavivid's sites there are a few skin systems that at least claimed they were in stock and were able to ship within a week. All depends on your color i guess though in these desperate times I suppose you could have them colored by a professional.

Also just a quick random question about MHE - what exactly are the hairlines like? I love Curtis and i know his systems are quality but one thing that pushed me (and I feel pushes others) away is the fact that he only sells recessed, somewhat A contour style systems. Thanks.

yourMom<3sMyHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Smartone. Yeah, this situation is no good. I was originally looking for a 6 and switched to a 7 ash around the four month waiting mark. I even told him I would take an invisiskin or invisilace, whichever hit first.

I don't really understand his system because he doesn't seem to have any information about the status of his order queue or where I stand in it. I suspect that he's even prioritizing others over my order but that's probably just paranoia. I've been a loyal customer so not sure why he would do that. However, six months is a long time.

I actually like his mature hairlines. They work well for my age and I've been happy most of the time. The only problem is his hairlines aren't consistent. The curvature changes which can make things interesting. I've also had hair quality issues in a few units but most of the time the units are great and no one has a clue I'm wearing.

Do you know if Lordhair's units are gas permeable? I almost ordered one but was hesitant due to the hairline and base. Noah provided a few sources that I'm going to check out as well.

Guitarmaster

My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually like his mature hairlines. They work well for my age and I've been happy most of the time. The only problem is his hairlines aren't consistent. The curvature changes which can make things interesting. I've also had hair quality issues in a few units but most of the time the units are great and no one has a clue I'm wearing.
HI I want to start wearing soon. I am interested on knowing what makes a bad unit.

You said you had a few quality issues with some units What does that mean? You also mention inconsistent hairline?

Are these issues so bad that people will know you are wearing?

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Smartone. Yeah, this situation is no good. I was originally looking for a 6 and switched to a 7 ash around the four month waiting mark. I even told him I would take an invisiskin or invisilace, whichever hit first.

I don't really understand his system because he doesn't seem to have any information about the status of his order queue or where I stand in it. I suspect that he's even prioritizing others over my order but that's probably just paranoia. I've been a loyal customer so not sure why he would do that. However, six months is a long time.

Do you know if Lordhair's units are gas permeable? I almost ordered one but was hesitant due to the hairline and base. Noah provided a few sources that I'm going to check out as well.
I don't know any details about Lordhair with regards to gas permeable. Not even sure what that means to be honest. With Lordhair the issue seems to be inconsistency. I've heard just as many great stories as I have bad. This is why having a really great middle man like Curtis helps in this industry where everything is coming from some random factory in China.

You say nobody has a clue you're wearing. I'm curious do you wear an exposed hairline?

yourMom<3sMyHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
HI I want to start wearing soon. I am interested on knowing what makes a bad unit.

You said you had a few quality issues with some units What does that mean? You also mention inconsistent hairline?

Are these issues so bad that people will know you are wearing?
I've just had a few units where the hair itself was very coarse and doll-like. I could still make it look decent but it was an obvious departure from the previous units I had received which had great quality hair strands. The colors also vary within the same classification. So a 6 in one order would look very different from the previous 6 which makes it hard to match my bio hair.

As for the hairline, the curvature varies. So every unit has varying degrees of recession with the apex changing. If someone were very observant it would be a dead giveaway. Luckily, I don't see many people daily as I work from home. Most people aren't paying close enough attention to notice anyway. My girlfriend doesn't and she knows I wear.

That said, the quality of MHE's units are generally solid and I plan to continue wearing them unless he fails to ship me my order soon and I find something better. He said today on his most recent video that they're filling invisiskin orders like crazy so I expect it very soon otherwise, wtf?

yourMom<3sMyHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know any details about Lordhair with regards to gas permeable. Not even sure what that means to be honest. With Lordhair the issue seems to be inconsistency. I've heard just as many great stories as I have bad. This is why having a really great middle man like Curtis helps in this industry where everything is coming from some random factory in China.

You say nobody has a clue you're wearing. I'm curious do you wear an exposed hairline?
I do wear an exposed hairline. If someone caught me in the right light a few days into a hairline bond and was close enough, they could detect it if they know what they are looking for. I would say 99% don't (I could be wrong here but I'm not too concerned about it). I had a random conversation with a grocery store clerk who complimented my hair and she straight up didn't believe it's a rug.

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
I do wear an exposed hairline. If someone caught me in the right light a few days into a hairline bond and was close enough, they could detect it if they know what they are looking for. I would say 99% don't (I could be wrong here but I'm not too concerned about it). I had a random conversation with a grocery store clerk who complimented my hair and she straight up didn't believe it's a rug.
Care to share a photo? No face needed of course.

Lastly when you say with regards to the curvatures that "if someone were very observant it would be a dead giveaway". What do you mean? That if someone was paying attention all the time they might notice because one day you might come into work with a new hairline curvature with a new unit? Kind of surprised about the color situation. That would be a big problem for me if the unit didn't match my bio hair.

I'm asking this stuff because MHE is my #1 choice when I decide to start wearing. Curtis is the guy who got me to really first consider doing this.

Thanks.

yourMom<3sMyHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Care to share a photo? No face needed of course.

Lastly when you say with regards to the curvatures that "if someone were very observant it would be a dead giveaway". What do you mean? That if someone was paying attention all the time they might notice because one day you might come into work with a new hairline curvature with a new unit? Kind of surprised about the color situation. That would be a big problem for me if the unit didn't match my bio hair.

I'm asking this stuff because MHE is my #1 choice when I decide to start wearing. Curtis is the guy who got me to really first consider doing this.

Thanks.
Yeah, when I put on a new unit and suddenly have a different hairline it's obvious to me. Like I said, most people won't be able to tell.

The differences in color are pretty frustrating. My hairdresser notices so it's not just me.

As you can see in the pics, Curtis's units are legit despite these issues. Hopefully he's able to maintain quality with all of the adversity lately. Most of all, I hope he's able to ship me my unit soon as I'm not really trying to jump ship.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• hairExample.jpg
    hairExample.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 334
  • hairExample2.jpg
    hairExample2.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 335

Guitarmaster

My Regimen
Reaction score
@yourMom<3sMyHair Agreed that hairline looks real good.

Do you have a picture of a difference in hair color? Or example of a bad hairline?

What do you do in that case? Keep rocking the old system and send it back to him?

yourMom<3sMyHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
@yourMom<3sMyHair Agreed that hairline looks real good.

Do you have a picture of a difference in hair color? Or example of a bad hairline?

What do you do in that case? Keep rocking the old system and send it back to him?
I really just shared these pics to help those on the fence and give back.

Curtis comp'd me a unit when I accidentally ruined one trying to trim it to size. It wasn't the dimensions I had requested.

When I reached out to him about the downgrade in hair quality and color he wouldn't replace it because he had already comp'd me. Not the best way to handle it but it is what it is.

The majority of the units I've received from him have been top notch.

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Personally I had an issue where Curtis blanked me immediately (still not appreciated, but it is what it is.) but I feel for all of the providers who are currently struggling and have to deal with frustrated customers and they are stuck in the middle, completely powerless.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Yeah, when I put on a new unit and suddenly have a different hairline it's obvious to me. Like I said, most people won't be able to tell.

The differences in color are pretty frustrating. My hairdresser notices so it's not just me.

As you can see in the pics, Curtis's units are legit despite these issues. Hopefully he's able to maintain quality with all of the adversity lately. Most of all, I hope he's able to ship me my unit soon as I'm not really trying to jump ship.

Hope this helps.
Should try those systems out. How much does one cost?

yourMom<3sMyHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn, Northwestlace is a lot cheaper. Have to stay with them.
Do you wear their poly units? Would you say they look as good as my pics? Does anyone here have a source that looks as good as my pics (poly or lace)? I'm really paranoid that Curtis is putting me at the back of the line for some reason. There's no excuse for it taking this long.

I bought a bottle of Pro Hair Labs conditioner from him and it had the consistency of water like it had been filled halfway up with tap to dilute the product. The previous bottle I bought from him was thick and worked 10x better. When I told him about it he told me to call the number on the bottle. I can't tell if this guy is a phony or what. I would like to find an alternative source.

I don't want to just come here to talk sh*t about him because I've been happy 90% of the time with his products and he is quick to respond to inquiries, but I haven't had a single update on this order that wasn't initiated by me. Then he doesn't even have an estimate as to when to expect shipment. And we're six months in!

Last edited:

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you wear their poly units? Would you say they look as good as my pics? Does anyone here have a source that looks as good as my pics (poly or lace)? I'm really paranoid that Curtis is putting me at the back of the line for some reason. There's no excuse for it taking this long.

I bought a bottle of Pro Hair Labs conditioner from him and it had the consistency of water like it had been filled halfway up with tap to dilute the product. The previous bottle I bought from him was thick and worked 10x better. When I told him about it he told me to call the number on the bottle. I can't tell if this guy is a phony or what. I would like to find an alternative source.

I don't want to just come here to talk sh*t about him because I've been happy 90% of the time with his products and he is quick to respond to inquiries, but I haven't had a single update on this order that wasn't initiated by me. Then he doesn't even have an estimate as to when to expect shipment. And we're six months in!
Lavivid. Lordhair.

Both have skin units ready to ship at least according to their websites

yourMom<3sMyHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lavivid. Lordhair.

Both have skin units ready to ship at least according to their websites
Thanks, I've checked out Lordhair and seen a lot of stickonhair's videos. Sometimes his units look good and sometimes not so much. He also does a lot of custom sh*t after experimenting to make them better.

Lavivid's look okay from the website. I'll email them and see if they think they have something comparable.

I know I've talked a lot of sh*t about MHE's customer service but I really did learn a lot from Curtis's videos when I started out. I don't do everything like he does it but they certainly helped. I'm just frustrated because I have to risk a good chunk of change on products I'm not familiar with. I've been fairly patient up until now.

Who knows, maybe I'll find something better. Wouldn't mind trying lace again.

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
@yourMom<3sMyHair Yeah I hear you. This really is a crazy purchase in the sense that we're paying hundreds of dollars for an item that we really have no idea what its really going to be when we get it. Sure you can return it but only if it's an uncut stock unit. I personally want to get mine precut (haircut) beforehand so I don't have to go to a salon and the whole nine yards. Just a barber for blending. It would be amazing if we started seeing little kiosks pop up in malls so men could actually physically see and touch these hair systems. To know what they are buying. To see the hairlines up close. To see how bleached the knots are on lace. To see the unit on a model head even, etc. I once told Curtis he should try and go on Shark Tank. He told me he plans to get on TV once Covid is over. Not sure if he means an infomercial or what but that would be a great thing for the industry depending on how much exposure it gets.

I do believe Lavivid sells a great product though for what its worth. They don't list the contours of the units in the descriptions on their website though which I find bizarre. If you're looking for a skin system the "Eros" is their best one from what I've seen. Looks like they have a few colors ready to ship in 5-7 business days right now.