Merck??

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
I phoned Merck & Co today (http://www.msd-uk.co.uk 01992 467272) for info on Proscar and was told that they have no connection with Merck Pharmaceuticals. They can't give advice to members of the public, but there is a link for doctors etc. so you can refer your doctor for info.
I was told that Proscar wasn't prescribed for hair loss, which surprised me.
Boru

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Boru said:
I phoned Merck & Co today (http://www.msd-uk.co.uk 01992 467272) for info on Proscar and was told that they have no connection with Merck Pharmaceuticals. They can't give advice to members of the public, but there is a link for doctors etc. so you can refer your doctor for info.
Boru
It's prescribed for BPH. Some doctors will prescribe it on request to save money vs. Propecia.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
-cj- said:
Boru said:
Boru
It's prescribed for BPH. Some doctors will prescribe it on request to save money vs. Propecia.

Yes, my doctor prescribes Proscar for my hair, having previously given me a private prescription to buy Propecia. Doctors seem to have leeway on this, but I thought that Proscar was prescribable for hair loss.
Boru

Britannia

Reaction score
Boru said:
-cj- said:
Boru said:
Boru

Yes, my doctor prescribes Proscar for my hair, having previously given me a private prescription to buy Propecia. Doctors seem to have leeway on this, but I thought that Proscar was prescribable for hair loss.
Boru

Doctors actually never prescribe Proscar or Propecia. They prescribe 5mg Finasteride and 1mg Finasteride respectively. Proscar and Propecia are just brand names. If a Doctor wants to prescribe you 1mg Finasteride to treat hairloss they can in theory prescribe a 5mg pill (Proscar) and tell you to split it into 5ths.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Britannia said:
Boru said:
-cj- said:
Boru said:
Boru

Boru

Doctors actually never prescribe Proscar or Propecia. They prescribe 5mg Finasteride and 1mg Finasteride respectively. Proscar and Propecia are just brand names. If a Doctor wants to prescribe you 1mg Finasteride to treat hairloss they can in theory prescribe a 5mg pill (Proscar) and tell you to split it into 5ths.

My doctor prescribes Proscar, the official advice is to take one every five days, but I cut it into 5ths anyhow. Contrary to what you say, doctors do not and cannot advise patients to cut Proscar into 5ths, Merck wouldn't allow them to do that. However, it is great to have a doctor who gave me a chance to try it out. Some doctors don't have any sympathy with male pattern baldness.
Boru

Britannia

Reaction score
Boru said:
Britannia said:
Boru said:
-cj- said:
Boru said:
Boru

Boru

Contrary to what you say, doctors do not and cannot advise patients to cut Proscar into 5ths, Merck wouldn't allow them to do that.

You are wrong. Doctors can legally prescribe Proscar (or 5mg Finasteride tablets) for male pattern baldness providing the prescribed dosage is 1mg Finasteride daily. Merck are merely a pharmaceutical company - they have NO dictation over what Doctors can and cannot prescribe. Some clinics may have a policy not to prescribe Proscar for hairloss, but it has f*** all to do with what Merck say.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Your experience may be different to mine, but I am not totally wrong, my doctor's prescription is to take Proscar every five days ( though I do cut it into 5ths as advised here). Does your doctor instruct you to cut it into 5ths? There is some controversy about this which would be useful to solve for everyone's sake.

Britannia

Reaction score
Boru said:
Your experience may be different to mine, but I am not totally wrong, my doctor's prescription is to take Proscar every five days ( though I do cut it into 5ths as advised here). Does your doctor instruct you to cut it into 5ths? There is some controversy about this which would be useful to solve for everyone's sake.

I take Propecia not Proscar. I discussed the use of Proscar in hairloss with a colleage at work (an Spr Endocrinologist) and he said it could legally be prescribed as long as the patient was instructed to only take 1/5th daily. Taking a 5mg tablet once every 5 days is unwise because finasteride has such a short half life (although technically could be prescribed by a Dr).

Steve4263

Established Member
Reaction score
Britannia said:
Boru said:
-cj- said:
Boru said:
Boru

Boru

Your right. That's what my doctor did for me. He prescribed 5mg Finasteride. He also told me to get a pill cutter and cut it into 5th's

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Britannia said:
You are wrong. Doctors can legally prescribe Proscar (or 5mg Finasteride tablets) for male pattern baldness providing the prescribed dosage is 1mg Finasteride daily.

A doctor has no restriction on the amount of finasteride he can prescribe for male pattern baldness. If he wants to, he can prescribe a Proscar tablet every day.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Britannia said:
Taking a 5mg tablet once every 5 days is unwise because finasteride has such a short half life...

It has a short half-life, but keep in mind that the regeneration rate of the type 2 enzyme is quite slow, which makes up for the short half-life of finasteride.

Bryan

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Bryan
Thanks for the tip on propecia. I will ask my doctor to prescribe the propecia 1mg as this would be more convenient and precise than cutting up proscar. Do doctors know how hit and miss it can be, cutting an irregular shaped tiny pill into 5ths?
Boru