** MERc will not expand Patent confirmed **

messmorph

Established Member
Reaction score
I think 2006 or 2007?

Once this happens does it mean we can get generic propecia a lot cheaper?

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
messmorph said:
I think 2006 or 2007?

Once this happens does it mean we can get generic propecia a lot cheaper?

most likely but where did u get your info from. any reliable links?

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
i read before somewhere it around mid of 2006.. someone posted it here before..

powersam

Reaction score
can already get generic propecia from brasil, made by merck generics. brasil apparenty has no patent laws. its what i use

Britannia

Reaction score
Of course they will extend the patent. Just like they do with all the other countless drugs they have patents on.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Britannia said:
Of course they will extend the patent. Just like they do with all the other countless drugs they have patents on.

Are u assuming?

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well i found something on the net

http://www.domain-b.com/companies/compa ... orised.htm

Merck allows Dr Reddy's to sell authorised generics of blockbuster drugs
2 February 2006

In a strategically significant deal for the Indian pharma industry, Dr. Reddy's has entered into an agreement with Merck to sell two of the latter's blockbuster drugs as authorised generics once they go off-patent. (See: Dr Reddys Laboratories enters into agreement with Merck)

This is the first time an Indian generic company is entering into a tie-up with a global major to launch authorised generics.

Till now generic companies, including Indian majors like Ranbaxy and Dr. Reddy's, have been mounting patent challenges against the pharma multinationals. These multinationals usually attempt to seek extensions after the expiry of the initial patent as in the case of Pfizer's Lipitor with Ranbaxy challenging the patent extension.

If successful, the generic company which is the first to file the challenge would get 180-day market exclusivity for its generic version after the patent expiry under US laws. However, the original patent holder can also market a generic version of its own drug even during the 180-day exclusivity period.

The patent-holder can also allow another generic company to launch an authorised generic version. This provision significantly reduces the potential gains to generic companies from patent challenges as there would be a competing generic product even during the exclusivity period.

Under the deal with Merck, Dr Reddy's would launch generic versions of Merck's Zocor and Proscar, which are going off-patent in the US this calendar year. The deal would be applicable only if a generic company gets 180-day market exclusivity.

Zocor is a statin or anti-cholesterol drug with annual global sales of close to $5 billion. This is the second-largest selling drug after Pfizer's Lipitor, another statin. Ranbaxy has already filed a patent challenge for Zocor.

Proscar is a drug used to treat enlarged prostate gland with annual sales of over $600 million. Israel's Teva is expected to be the first generic company to file a challenge for this drug.

Dr. Reddy's closed at Rs1,179 (up 5.18 per cent) on the NSE yesterday.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Britannia said:

Once again, you're wrong:

http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?p=f ... 1&.intl=us

Proscar and Propecia both have finasteride in them. That's what expires in June of 2006. The patent expires on June 19, 2006. It's just that simple.

I don't know where Britannia is getting his info. that a company can renew a patent on a "whim". That's never been my legal understanding of patents in over 25 years of dealing with them, off and on, on my job.

I mean, what would be the point of having an expiration date for patents if all one had to do was file for an extension. That would be ridiculous and illogical.

Merck has had its 20 years (or 17 years under the old law) to exclusively market finasteride. in the USA. In June of 2006 it's over.

Extensions are allowed only if the holder can show that further testing required by the government, for example, held up getting the drug to market. Rare.

Bismarck

Reaction score
That's certainly correct because there would be no reason for a company not to extent a patent.

I've one more question: Is the patent for Finasteride as a substance or do they hold "single" patents for the specific indications (BPH / male pattern baldness) ?

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Bismarck said:
That's certainly correct because there would be no reason for a company not to extent a patent.

I've one more question: Is the patent for Finasteride as a substance or do they hold "single" patents for the specific indications (BPH / male pattern baldness) ?

Both Proscar and Propecia patents expire on June 19, 2006. Reason, finasteride is used for both and the medical uses are very similar (i.e., Type II inhibitors). Nothing novel about the differences between these two uses IMHO.

There's a term patent attorneys use for this, something like "obvious alternatives" or some such language.

I mean, like Bryan has said many times, Merck developed finasteride. for a plethora of possible androgen related "ailments". So since their patent protection was "global" (i.e., a very wide variety of uses) then it's over in June of 2006.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I cant wait for legit generic Proscar!!! If it is as cheap as the current generics I'll probably just start taking 5mg a day!

Steve4263

Established Member
Reaction score
Just like minoxidil no prescription needed. I just got a email from Dr. Reddy and the email said Merck patents runs out on June 19 2006.

Steve4263

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah your right. Just got to much happiness in the brain about it and was'nt thinking. Still it is good news though.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
socks said:
I cant wait for legit generic Proscar!!! If it is as cheap as the current generics I'll probably just start taking 5mg a day!

Dont worry... it will be cheap or at least WILL get cheap in th elong run because since the patent is over..many companies will start producing finasteride and prices will compete..same case of now where u can see generics by cipla being cheap.