Men's Fashion Thread, If You Think It Matters

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Those aren't all black. The white is an important element there, adds contrast. The guy's wearing a beige-grey scarf as well. But it might just work better for women. I know I like black skirts on a woman personally lol.

I went shopping yesterday, just browsing really, I saw three different stores, J-Crew, Brooks Brothers, and Allen Edmunds, where I ranked them in order of increasing class. Those are just the places that were in the area. None of the salesmen or manequins were wearing all black. The in-colours were white, beige, various shades of blue, and to my surprise, some yellow , also some green that I don't like.

I did see all-black when I went to the restaurant for lunch after -- it was the uniform for the waiters.

I had a friend from the movie club I joined in Australia who were all black. She's the only person I know who did that look. She was very depressed, she hadn't had a job in over 2 years, nor a romantic partner in over 4 years. She bought some brown-coloured shoes, but said she wouldn't wear them prior to spray painting them black. I looked up some old pictures of her on facebook, back in the day when she was happier, when she had a job and a boyfriend, she wore more colours.
Well, I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. I do disagree but the important thing is to find things that improve your look and if its not something you like then there is no point In trying to make it work. Besides, I do think the all black look for men suits only bikers, young and beautiful men with the indy/rock lock, or those in the arts industry.

As for you, I would say you are better off looking at smart casual styles. You are an academic, on a decent income, and are very intelligent. If you dressed like an edgy rock star it just wouldn't be congruent. I'll post some fashion ideas for you below and you can see if any of them work for you.

upload_2017-3-13_12-30-33.png

upload_2017-3-13_12-31-9.png

upload_2017-3-13_12-31-35.png

upload_2017-3-13_12-32-36.png

I know they aren't super complex style or fashions but I think these would suit you - especially as a man in his thirties (like me). We cant do the same styles as a 21 year old guy - we'd look like idiots.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah those look great actually.

Being honest the median look for academics is overweight, baggy faded jeans or cargo shorts, and miscellaneous top, likely a t-shirt or sometimes a running shirt. I don't enjoy that look though.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score

Being honest the median look for academics is overweight, baggy faded jeans or cargo shorts, and miscellaneous top, likely a t-shirt or sometimes a running shirt. I don't enjoy that look though.
Haha yep, I see it on our campus every time I go in - they don't have a clue.

Its just a term to use for simplicity - like geek chic or whatever tag people want to use.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score

Get yourself a couple pairs of J's bruh

fidm40urzdtcn4cxzxst.jpg

Can't go wrong with a bit of urban twist :D

12825834_467239890131196_2146048438_n.jpg

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Traditionally, men are allowed to wear shorts but they should not show too much knee - or any at all preferably.

Always show knee or at least some of knee. Preferably a bit above. Same for swimming shorts. If you go totally below knee = cuckold.

Mens-Fashion-for-Summer.jpg
d91779904b0e30a728fef83ddc89f6d1.jpg
image1xl.jpg
levis-denim-shorts-501-fit-speedster.jpg

Xander94

My Regimen
Reaction score
Always show knee or at least some of knee. Preferably a bit above. Same for swimming shorts. If you go totally below knee = cuckold.

Mens-Fashion-for-Summer.jpg
d91779904b0e30a728fef83ddc89f6d1.jpg
image1xl.jpg
levis-denim-shorts-501-fit-speedster.jpg
You need to show knee if you have pencil-like calves I have strong calves so I dont care.

Last edited:

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to show knee if you have pencil-like calves I have strong calves so I dont care.

I have god tier calves too. Actually, my calves are so big that I literally don't train them in isolation. My most genetically gifted muscular group. That being said I still prefer to go above knee or at least show some knee. Covering knees with shorts just never flows aesthetically.

You won't find fashionable men covering knees here around Amsterdam.

I mean come on look at this:

3-4-length-ripstop-shorts.jpg
535b19be9fb50b8ddc8bd5b69f4211f8.jpg

Just lol..Even if you have calves it doesn't flow well. This way better:

a-collage-of-men-wearing-denim-shorts-1170x724.jpg

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
I have god tier calves too. Actually, my calves are so big that I literally don't train them in isolation. My most genetically gifted muscular group. That being said I still prefer to go above knee or at least show some knee. Covering knees with shorts just never flows aesthetically.

It's kind of a "grey area" from what I know, at least around here. In some circles, a man wearing shorts is unsightly; only jeans or pants are allowed. Men shouldn't show their knees because it's either deemed a "feminine" behavior or is seen as something little boys wear ("culottes courtes" in French). Swimming shorts or trunks are kind of an exception and can be worn above the knee without a problem because the context is different (sports / leisure / beach).

The charcoal pants you linked are way too tight and do indeed look horrible below the knee. I'm not sure they'd look much better with some knee showing anyway. The second pair of shorts (red) look ok IMO.

Obviously, shorts should never be too tight.

Cultural differences and whatnot.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

I think that long baggy shorts were a 90s look.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
What the hell do you guys have against socks??

It can look a little "Al Bundy" It really depends i guess...but i dont think that is a hot look IF you are dressing to impress females.. @david is in 'date' mode and i think he wants to have a wardrobe that is both professional and appealing to women.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course it is!

Majority of my wardrobe is Black, white, shades of grey from light grey to slate, some shades of beige, Shade of olive, or mushroom, etc.

I have some purses and shoes that are like Cobalt blue and burnt orange for some color here and there.

I also don't love 'prints'.

The reason i do this is it makes my wardrobe easy to mix and match.

I focus more on 'fit'.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Majority of my wardrobe is Black, white, shades of grey from light grey to slate, some shades of beige, Shade of olive, or mushroom, etc.

I have some purses and shoes that are like Cobalt blue and burnt orange for some color here and there.

I also don't love 'prints'.

The reason i do this is it makes my wardrobe easy to mix and match.

I focus more on 'fit'.

You use the words slate, olive, mushroom, cobalt blue, and burnt orange as colours.

The benefits of having a woman on here !!!

I had to look up what those are.

This is slate:
e5e49db3eb3047bb27df8b94252f659b.jpg

This is olive .... apparently olive refers to green olives and not brown olives:
MCY

This is mushroom:
Criminal%20Damage%20Men%20s%20sweatshirts%20Shoreditch%20Sweatshirt%20-%20Mushroom%20Color%20B00TCYIOM6.jpg

This is cobalt blue - I love it !
5ace62522f1a24b8e5c2e6adc8a5f078.jpg

This is burned orange:
burnt-orange-scarf-mens.jpg

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
It can look a little "Al Bundy" It really depends i guess...but i dont think that is a hot look IF you are dressing to impress females.. @david is in 'date' mode and i think he wants to have a wardrobe that is both professional and appealing to women.

So women are ok with socks being chosen/not chosen JUST in order to impress them; but not when it comes to men choosing sole height for the same purpose?

I'd rather look like the dude on the left than any of the hipsters David posted.
Mens-Long-Socks-with-Shorts-Street-Style.jpg

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
So women are ok with socks being chosen/not chosen JUST in order to impress them; but not when it comes to men choosing sole height for the same purpose?

I'd rather look like the dude on the left than any of the hipsters David posted.
Haha I call it Bavarian Chic

upload_2017-3-13_18-16-23.png

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

I dont know what you are talking abut with 'sole height'

I'm not digging any of the looks above on men. It's uncomfortable and awkward looking.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

'mirin hard at the furthest left dude. he looks fuckin awesome as a bald asian dude, which usually looks ugly. looks like a badass evil ninja warrior.

anyways f*** all this modern fashion, if i wasnt embarassed i'd rock the medieval royalty and victorian looks. idc how autistic i i'd look lmao. they're so fancy and classy and nostalgic.

victorian below. this would work better in todays times than medieval
sbe-1873-gentlemen-01.jpg

medieval royalty, peasant outfits were different
0e130f55c5ed33b6a0247a49b2208e97.jpg

on women medieval wear is so beautiful and princess like. zooey deschanel is of course bae as f*** but she looks absolutely stunning here. james franco looking nice as well

article-1371001-0B5AB66900000578-825_634x767.jpg