Men's Fashion Thread, If You Think It Matters

Swiss_Tampons

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
the-cockettes.jpg

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
What the hell do you guys have against socks??

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
What the hell do you guys have against socks??

I'm clueless, and I mean absolutely clueless, when it comes to fashion.

One day I came out with sandals and socks, my friends nearly had a field day lol, never again. Apparently this is one of the least "fashionable" things you can do. And apparently, when wearing shoes, you're supposed to wear ankle socks that only go up to your ankle so it looks like you're not wearing socks.

I don't think I'll ever understand fashion, I just copy my friends. If I were to go into a shop and buy what I think looks good I'd be laughed at before leaving the store :p

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Those guys look like douches lol

They definitely look try-hard and bland. Not good fashion advice if you work in an office.

Quick thoughts from what I remember about "timeless" fashion advice:
  • Short, ankle-length socks with shorts are ok if you're wearing shoes, not if you're wearing sandals.
  • Your socks should always be a shade darker than your shoes.
  • Don't wear shoes without socks, unless you don't mind being called Swamp-foot.
  • Popped collars are lulz - just don't do it unless you wear Eau-de-Douche as a cologne.
  • You are allowed to wear only one tight-fitting clothing article. And don't overdo it. Leave the kiddies dept. to manlets like me. And try not to look too uncomfortable, especially around your crotch.
  • Traditionally, men are allowed to wear shorts but they should not show too much knee - or any at all preferably.
  • Use the colour wheel to match colors. Screw wearing monochromatic clothes and grey/white/black. Show some f*****g personnality.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol, like if wearing colors = having a personnality :)
A man wearing black is sexier.

Black is a terrible color for most guys, especially if you're pale (contrasts too much with your skin) and/or short (makes you appear thinner).

All things being equal, I'd choose a girl who wears bright and cheery or pastel colors over one who just wears whatever black/white/grey she happens to have on hand.

Wearing all black is even worse, "funeral-fashion" needs to die already. It doesn't make you appear sophisticated, just lazy, uptight or morose.

Xander94

My Regimen
Reaction score
Black is a terrible color for most guys, especially if you're pale (contrasts too much with your skin) and/or short (makes you appear thinner).

All things being equal, I'd choose a girl who wears bright and cheery or pastel colors over one who just wears whatever black/white/grey she happens to have on hand.

Wearing all black is even worse, "funeral-fashion" needs to die already. It doesn't make you appear sophisticated, just lazy, uptight or morose.
Dunno mate I like black, but also like brighter colours once in a while like purple.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Dunno mate I like black, but also like brighter colours once in a while like purple.

Black can be ok if you're not too thin or pale, it's just not very original and can have too much of an impact depending on the setting, especially for a man. Wearing a simple black t-shirt in a casual setting can be fine though.

IMO, purple is dicey unless you have a darker shade of skin - dark red shades like burgundy are a safer bet and can even soften the impact of a pale and "cold" (blue-ish) complexion.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

All black looks absurd, it might denote a mental illness such as depression, or being a goth.

It works though as a colour for dress pants, black dress pants go well with a variety of tops. Or black shoes and belt. Or black socks.

But never all black.

Unless it's Halloween and you're cosplaying like you're part of the Matrix.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah these look pretty bad.
I like you David, but I wouldn't ever listen to any of your fashion advice because I have seen how you dress.

I'd listen to you talk about politics, science, human behaviour - but fashion - no.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I like you David, but I wouldn't ever listen to any of your fashion advice because I have seen how you dress.

I'd listen to you talk about politics, science, human behaviour - but fashion - no.

My clothes don't fit because I've been losing weight for two years.

Now go outside and pay attention to who wears all black. Goths, people in some work uniforms, etc.

I think I did so as a depressed teenager.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
My clothes don't fit because I've been losing weight for two years.

Now go outside and pay attention to who wears all black. Goths, people in some work uniforms, etc.

I think I did so as a depressed teenager.
If you ever visit places like Paris, Manhattan, or London - there are a large number of fashionistas who dress in the monochrome or all black - as made popular by the likes of Audrey Hepburn and Chanel a long, long time ago:

upload_2017-3-13_11-57-36.png

upload_2017-3-13_11-57-59.png

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you ever visit places like Paris, Manhattan, or London - there are a large number of fashionistas who dress in the monochrome or all black - as made popular by the likes of Audrey Hepburn and Chanel a long, long time ago:

View attachment 50321

View attachment 50322

Those aren't all black. The white is an important element there, adds contrast. The guy's wearing a beige-grey scarf as well. But it might just work better for women. I know I like black skirts on a woman personally lol.

I went shopping yesterday, just browsing really, I saw three different stores, J-Crew, Brooks Brothers, and Allen Edmunds, where I ranked them in order of increasing class. Those are just the places that were in the area. None of the salesmen or manequins were wearing all black. The in-colours were white, beige, various shades of blue, and to my surprise, some yellow , also some green that I don't like.

I did see all-black when I went to the restaurant for lunch after -- it was the uniform for the waiters.

I had a friend from the movie club I joined in Australia who were all black. She's the only person I know who did that look. She was very depressed, she hadn't had a job in over 2 years, nor a romantic partner in over 4 years. She bought some brown-coloured shoes, but said she wouldn't wear them prior to spray painting them black. I looked up some old pictures of her on facebook, back in the day when she was happier, when she had a job and a boyfriend, she wore more colours.

Dante92

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Those aren't all black. The white is an important element there, adds contrast. The guy's wearing a beige-grey scarf as well. But it might just work better for women. I know I like black skirts on a woman personally lol.

I went shopping yesterday, just browsing really, I saw three different stores, J-Crew, Brooks Brothers, and Allen Edmunds, where I ranked them in order of increasing class. Those are just the places that were in the area. None of the salesmen or manequins were wearing all black. The in-colours were white, beige, various shades of blue, and to my surprise, some yellow , also some green that I don't like.

I did see all-black when I went to the restaurant for lunch after -- it was the uniform for the waiters.

I had a friend from the movie club I joined in Australia who were all black. She's the only person I know who did that look. She was very depressed, she hadn't had a job in over 2 years, nor a romantic partner in over 4 years. She bought some brown-coloured shoes, but said she wouldn't wear them prior to spray painting them black. I looked up some old pictures of her on facebook, back in the day when she was happier she wore more colours.

Besides, everything looks good on you when you're good-looking.