Melatonin For Hairloss Clinical Study To Support It

mikes23

Reaction score
so I've been taking melatonin to help me sleep the last few weeks and decide to google if its bad for your hair. turns out it may be good for your hair. here is br Bernstein talking about studies with melatonin being used
https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/research/melatonin-reverse-early-hair-loss-men-women/

they believe melatonin has anti-androgen properties. i cant say if melatonin has helped me because its only been 4 weeks and i started back on finasteride 3 weeks ago, but im going to get a liquid formula and apply it topically. i will also be adding Ru and stemoxydine so it will be hard for me to say if the melatonin is helping a lot but its worth a shot. the studies with melatonin are on people and have a control group, so it doesn't seem like snake oil.

SpaceInvader

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
doesn't do jack sh*t, used it

It's better to look into regimens that have credibility and have been demonstrated to work. Alternative treatments must also follow, and work on the same principles. If you managed to introduce a new treatment that doesn't work with our understanding, it would have be demonstrated to work. Not on paper, but replicated experiments. If the treatment still follows our understanding on paper, even then it must still be demonstrated to work outside of paper.

mikes23

Reaction score
@warner8 did you apply it topical or pill form

@SpaceInvader I posted it because people are looking for alternate treatments. we know alternate treatments are not as good as finasteride or min... but they don't feel comfortable taking those two treatments. I don't know why you keep saying on paper, this was done in a clinical study on humans, 5 different times.i think 5 times qualifies as replicated enough but sure, the more people using it the better.
"Study five was a large-scale, open-label, multi-center study involving 1891 female and male patients with early stage androgenetic alopecia. After 90 days of treatment, the proportion of patients with a positive hair pull test (which indicates ongoing hair loss) fell from 61.6% to 7.8%. Negative hair pull tests, which indicate no hair loss, rose from 12.2% to 61.5% in the same period. Using standardized examination forms, investigators found significantly reduced hair loss in two-thirds of patients. New hair growth was measured in 22.5% of patients. Further, the proportion of patients with moderate to severe presentation of the skin condition seborrhea dropped by over 30%."

this has more studies on it and better results then some of the future treatments people are talking about. people swear by nizoral and it doesn't have as many studies done on it like melatonin. I saw it on dr Bernstein page and saw people on Hlh talking about it also. its pretty cheap so I don't see why a person wouldn't want to add it to their regimen.

SpaceInvader

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
this has more studies on it and better results then some of the future treatments people are talking about. people swear by nizoral and it doesn't have as many studies done on it like melatonin. I saw it on dr Bernstein page and saw people on Hlh talking about it also. its pretty cheap so I don't see why a person wouldn't want to add it to their regimen.

This is what I mean, it's basically only on paper. There's studies on it, great. But that's only part of it. We would need people actually having success on this.

mikes23

Reaction score
yeah I get you, that's while ill be adding it to my regimen soon. I believe it has to be applied topically to be effective. I like the approach where you attack hairloss from multiple angles. this may allow you to lower your anti-androgen or 5ar dosage, which seems to give guys the more severe side effects. but i'll see for myself If it works. I have some hope for this since the studies were not done in vitro on some test tubes or mice. all the people in each study had positive results, hopefully I will have the same.

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
@warner8 did you apply it topical or pill form

@SpaceInvader I posted it because people are looking for alternate treatments. we know alternate treatments are not as good as finasteride or min... but they don't feel comfortable taking those two treatments. I don't know why you keep saying on paper, this was done in a clinical study on humans, 5 different times.i think 5 times qualifies as replicated enough but sure, the more people using it the better.
"Study five was a large-scale, open-label, multi-center study involving 1891 female and male patients with early stage androgenetic alopecia. After 90 days of treatment, the proportion of patients with a positive hair pull test (which indicates ongoing hair loss) fell from 61.6% to 7.8%. Negative hair pull tests, which indicate no hair loss, rose from 12.2% to 61.5% in the same period. Using standardized examination forms, investigators found significantly reduced hair loss in two-thirds of patients. New hair growth was measured in 22.5% of patients. Further, the proportion of patients with moderate to severe presentation of the skin condition seborrhea dropped by over 30%."

i used a 1% topical; bought it from susan at murray ave apothecary. didn't do jack sh*t, just a snake oil. yes the papers says it does something, but in real life on ppl not mice, it didnt work which is the story of 99% of the research studies.

mikes23

Reaction score
@warner8 but that's what makes this different. this was tested on humans not mice, 5 different times.
Phase three was a more reliable and objective open-label, clinically controlled study involving 35 men with androgenetic alopecia. In this study, researchers used TrichoScan, a sensitive software and hardware package that uses epiluminescence to measure hair loss. Hair density was found to increase in over half of the subjects. The average increase in density was 29% after three months and 41% at six months.

In study four, hair stylists at four salons performed a standardized before-and-after comparison on 40 male and 20 female patients with early stage hair loss who applied the treatment for 90 days. Female patients experienced significant reductions after 40 days and further significant reduction after another 40 days. Hair loss in the male patients was stable throughout the treatment.

Study five was a large-scale, open-label, multi-center study involving (1891 Female and Male Patients) with early stage androgenetic alopecia. After 90 days of treatment, the proportion of patients with a positive hair pull test (which indicates ongoing hair loss) fell from 61.6% to 7.8%. Negative hair pull tests, which indicate no hair loss, rose from 12.2% to 61.5% in the same period. Using standardized examination forms, investigators found significantly reduced hair loss in two-thirds of patients. New hair growth was measured in 22.5% of patients. Further, the proportion of patients with moderate to severe presentation of the skin condition seborrhea dropped by over 30%.

Just to give you a comparison to show you how affective it is, here are minoxidil one year observational study results.
In evaluating minoxidil effectiveness in stimulating hair regrowth, the investigators found the 5% solution very effective in 15.9% of patients, effective in 47.8%, moderately effective in 20.6% and ineffective in 15.7%.
  • Hairs lost during washing numbered a mean 69.7 at the beginning of the study, and a mean 33.8 at the end of the study-a measure of the effectiveness of 5% minoxidil in halting hair loss
http://www.ishrs.org/articles/minoxidil-study.htm

this is no snake oil. this was tested 5 different times on people. each study had positive results. I cant remember the last time a hairloss product was study five different times on people and showed such positive results. also in the study they only used a 0.0033% concentration of melatonin and got those results.

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
@warner8 but that's what makes this different. this was tested on humans not mice, 5 different times.
Phase three was a more reliable and objective open-label, clinically controlled study involving 35 men with androgenetic alopecia. In this study, researchers used TrichoScan, a sensitive software and hardware package that uses epiluminescence to measure hair loss. Hair density was found to increase in over half of the subjects. The average increase in density was 29% after three months and 41% at six months.

In study four, hair stylists at four salons performed a standardized before-and-after comparison on 40 male and 20 female patients with early stage hair loss who applied the treatment for 90 days. Female patients experienced significant reductions after 40 days and further significant reduction after another 40 days. Hair loss in the male patients was stable throughout the treatment.

Study five was a large-scale, open-label, multi-center study involving (1891 Female and Male Patients) with early stage androgenetic alopecia. After 90 days of treatment, the proportion of patients with a positive hair pull test (which indicates ongoing hair loss) fell from 61.6% to 7.8%. Negative hair pull tests, which indicate no hair loss, rose from 12.2% to 61.5% in the same period. Using standardized examination forms, investigators found significantly reduced hair loss in two-thirds of patients. New hair growth was measured in 22.5% of patients. Further, the proportion of patients with moderate to severe presentation of the skin condition seborrhea dropped by over 30%.

Just to give you a comparison to show you how affective it is, here are minoxidil one year observational study results.
In evaluating minoxidil effectiveness in stimulating hair regrowth, the investigators found the 5% solution very effective in 15.9% of patients, effective in 47.8%, moderately effective in 20.6% and ineffective in 15.7%.
  • Hairs lost during washing numbered a mean 69.7 at the beginning of the study, and a mean 33.8 at the end of the study-a measure of the effectiveness of 5% minoxidil in halting hair loss
http://www.ishrs.org/articles/minoxidil-study.htm

this is no snake oil. this was tested 5 different times on people. each study had positive results. I cant remember the last time a hairloss product was study five different times on people and showed such positive results. also in the study they only used a 0.0033% concentration of melatonin and got those results.
mike im not going to argue with you. i tried it and it didnt work. its a gimmick/snake oil/bullshit. if you want to waste money on it gooooooooo ahead. studies dont translate into real life. thats the problem with you forum users, you guys ask for feedback if product x works, ppt give their honest feedback that it doesn't work, and then you guys try argue for why it should work in theory. move the efff on

Turbohair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm starting it, but I must say I don't like it used topically. It's a sticky substance that makes my hair look terrible during the day even if applied directly to the scalp.
I may switch to a nightly treatment. I've also started Nizoral A-D 1%. It leaves my head feeling cool throughout the day.
I'm not completely bald, just have the thinning hair in front.

On another topic, a majorly balding family member has been using essential oils from young living that restored a load of his hair back. It's nearly up to his young adult hairline now. The more expensive the oil, the bigger the difference and faster it worked (Sacred Frankincense). Getting the products is a pain since they can't be picked up in a store and most people who sell them want you to join a multi-level-marketing program instead of giving you the product.
I'll look for another topic here to see if there is more to say. It's nice to have the person with restored hair.

I hoped that since there are numerous studies for Melatonin that it might also do the trick.
I'll post updates in a bit.

Turbohair

My Regimen
Reaction score
One more thing, I took a spring 4 day trip and forgot to bring it along. I'm noticing less hair on my scalp in the area I'm trying to treat. I'm not sure if it's from irregular usage or if it's natural. Does anyone know the side effects of the irregular use of a topical substance? What if I forgot to bring rogain? Would I come back from a 4 day trip with even less hair?

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In what scientific principle were these studies started? Any co-relation with DHT, 5a-reductases, pgd2, pge2 , PGF2a, CRTH2 ?

got this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3681103/

All it says is this: "Melatonin (N-acetyl-5-methoxy-tryptamine) is a possible candidate to counteract the oxidative stress associated with general hair loss as well as Androgenetic Alopecia because of the strong anti-oxidant properties that have been described for this substance."

".....These preclinical data on melatonin-mediated hair growth stimulation are supported by the results from a double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study, in which topical treatment with 1 ml of a 0.1% melatonin-alcohol solution in women with Androgenetic Alopecia and diffuse alopecia resulted in a significant increase in detectable anagen hairs in the occipital and frontal areas after six months compared with placebo."

6 months to get DETECTABLE anagen hairs.

So... Not an androgen blocker. I see no connection what so ever. It looks to me that melatonine is simply just like one of the many things that hair uses to grow (it's like food) and the study just showed that if you Ram in enough food, some will get in and you get growth (embarrassing growth tho)

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Trying to avoid Rogaine I suppose.
why would u want to avoid minoxidil? (PS: Rogain = expensive minoxidil... if it's for monetary reasons, just buy Kirkland minoxidil)

jake_b

Established Member
Reaction score
3% is WAY too high. The percentages used in studies are like .003%. Lots of things have a U-shaped response curve and more beyond a certain point is sometimes worse, not better.

Anyone can make a .003% topical by crushing a 2mg melatonin tablet and dissolving in ethanol / water / pg.

I’m starting on it now.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One of the few alternative treatments that they actually applied to human skin to measure hair growth. Melatonin might be one of the least natural bs treatments out there. Every other study talks about trying stuff on pet hamsters.

Why not collect every alternative treatment that was found to successfully grow hair on human scalp and not human hair in a lab dish. Cetirizine, procyanidin b2, sandalore, CNPDA, Red ginseng extract, pumpkin seed oil, Bimatoprost, copper peptides, rosemary oil, melatonin, S. repens extract, Annurca apple, capsaicin, Raspberry ketone, pea sprout, Sophora flavescens Aiton extract, Adenosine, Valproic acid,

put it all into one topical and rub that in your noggin.

partysnacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why not collect every alternative treatment that was found to successfully grow hair on human scalp and not human hair in a lab dish. Cetirizine, procyanidin b2, sandalore, CNPDA, Red ginseng extract, pumpkin seed oil, Bimatoprost, copper peptides, rosemary oil, melatonin, S. repens extract, Annurca apple, capsaicin, Raspberry ketone, pea sprout, Sophora flavescens Aiton extract, Adenosine, Valproic acid,

put it all into one topical and rub that in your noggin.
I think you'd run into solubility issues unfortunately