Medications and Hairloss

Renee

Reaction score
:lol:

I have androgenetic alopecia. Does anyone know if thyroid medications make their hairloss worse? I am on Armour. Almost all meds make mine worse. Thanks

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Renee -

Typically thyroid medications work to fix a thyroid problem, and its the thyroid problem that causes the hair loss. If you're experiencing hair loss, and have had the appropriate tests done only to be told that you need thyroid meds to fix the imbalance, you are actually *treating* the hair loss by treating the thyroid imbalance.

However, if you've been on these meds for quite some time, do not have a new diagnosis of thyroid problems but an old ongoing one, and you're just now seeing new hair loss, that is another consideration.

HairLossTalk.com

Renee

Reaction score
HI,
I have been losing hair since 18, now 43. When I take some meds, the hairloss is "worse." I just had thyroid checked and it is normal. (still have some symptoms tho.) When I was on a small amt. of thyroid med, I had worse hairloss, but didn't help my symptoms, so increased meds a small amt. and the hairloss got worse. So I know it's the medication that accelerating the hairloss not my thyroid. Just started taking meds for it a year ago. Also, some anti-depressants cause worse hairloss. It's really rough!! Thank you for replying and if anyone has my experience, please reply Just in case there's a thyroid med. that helps hairloss when it's not due to thyroid. I do know though, that hairloss and thyroid go together for the majority of people, just not in my case tho. ;(

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Daylight said:
Oh well... the good thing about vitamins is the side effects are not like those of prescription drugs.

Keep in mind that many natural treatments (not necessarily vitamins as much) can cause strong side effects, and one of them is absolutely Saw Palmetto. It is a very strong hormonal modulator, and side effects can be very apparent on it.

Renee - a lady by the name of Jean is dealing with the exact same situation you have, and she has recently done a lot of research on thyroid medications that can cause hair loss. You may wish to review the discussion we're having with her in this thread:

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hair loss= ... google.com

You can email her at the addy you see on the post if you like. Maybe the two of you can get together and figure something out.

Hope this helps

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Daylight said:
Oh well... the good thing about vitamins is the side effects are not like those of prescription drugs.

Keep in mind that many natural treatments (not necessarily vitamins as much) can cause strong side effects, and one of them is absolutely Saw Palmetto. It is a very strong hormonal modulator, and side effects can be very apparent on it.

Renee - a lady by the name of Jean is dealing with the exact same situation you have, and she has recently done a lot of research on thyroid medications that can cause hair loss. You may wish to review the discussion we're having with her in this thread:

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hair loss= ... google.com

You can email her at the addy you see on the post if you like. Maybe the two of you can get together and figure something out.

Hope this helps

HairLossTalk.com

Renee

Reaction score
RE: thyroid meds/thanks

:roll:
Thank you HairLossTalk.com. I did go and read the ladies post you suggested and did write her personally. I hope she writes back. I will sure post any results I get if something helps me regarding the thyoid meds. Thank you again.

alana

Reaction score
anti depressants

Is it true that anti depressants can cause hairloss? My doctor recently prescribed Zoloft to me, and if this is the case then I would like to know, as I can't afford to loose anymore hair...anyone's experience with this would be greatly appreciated. :)

rachel

Reaction score
I am also trying to find aout about the connection between hair loss and anti-depressants. I have been on several anti-depressants for the last 10 years (in addition to birth control pills) and my hair has been getting progressively worse. My psychiatrist has no information on hair loss as a side effect of anti-depressants. If you find out abything, please let me know. Thank you,

rachel

Carrie H

Reaction score
Armour

I had been taking armour for a year and def find my hair has thinned allot. I am so freaked out by this. I don't know what to do, I have stopped the med but am still losing. I am also on pain medication but I cannot stop it or I am in such pain, I don't know what to do. Need help too, so far a month after stopping the armour I have continued to lose hair and am so freaked. What is your experience with this med? I am looking to get my labs done again soon so I can see if I need to take something else or if my dosage was not right. So confusing. Hang in there, it sucks big time doesn't it?

dechairloss

Reaction score
Armour

I am currently taking the thyroid medication thyrolar. Is this similar to Armour and does anyone know if this causes hair loss if you def do not have a thyroid problem?

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
Alana, Zoloft is one of the safer anti-depressants to take in terms of not making your hairloss worse, and will help you with the anxiety that may cause additional stress in your life.