MD Warning

SethAus

Reaction score
My doctor told me if I want to have children in the future I should not be taking finasteride. That was it for me; I'm off it for good. I have noticed a reduced volume in my ejaculate, so his warning didn't come as a complete suprise. Between that and being worried about being "feminized," along with possible neurological damage and maybe some as yet unknown dangers, I figured it just isn't worth it.

For anybody inclined to discount this warning or slam my doctor, I hope you have a medical degree. If not, STFU.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A doctor is only as good as the last medical journal s/he read. And certainly Finasteride can impair sexual function. But I'd be curious to see any study that has demonstrated clear and irreversible damage from Finasteride usage.

mogadon

Established Member
Reaction score
well i came off it after terrible libido problems, within a week or so my sex drive was back, sticking with topicals,

at the end of the day imo, dht is important hormone for being a man,

such a shame there is nothing better than this propecia,but so be it, f**king about with hormones is gonna cause trouble,you gotta ask yourself why did nature give us dht,

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Seth -

Print this out and take it to your doctor. Then tell him to STFU.

"Can I take PROPECIA if my wife and I are starting a family?

Contact with the semen from a man being treated with PROPECIA is not a risk to the unborn child of a pregnant woman.

Yes, you can take PROPECIA if you and your wife are trying to conceive or if your wife is currently pregnant. However, women who are or may potentially be pregnant must not use PROPECIA and should not handle crushed or broken tablets of PROPECIA because doing so may cause abnormalities of a male baby’s sex organs.

http://www.propecia.com/finasteride/pro ... .jsp#faq12

HairLossTalk.com

SethAus

Reaction score
Cassin said:
SethAus said:
For anybody inclined to discount this warning or slam my doctor, I hope you have a medical degree. If not, STFU.

Idiot.

Find one story where this has been reported as a problem.

Until then, STFU.

I suppose you have an on-line "medical degree."

Continuing taking finasteride. Good luck.

Cassin

Reaction score
SethAus said:
Cassin said:
SethAus said:

Idiot.

Find one story where this has been reported as a problem.

Until then, STFU.

I suppose you have an on-line "medical degree."

Continuing taking finasteride. Good luck.

Again, find some medical stories to support this claim. Good Luck.

SethAus

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Seth -

Print this out and take it to your doctor. Then tell him to STFU.

"Can I take PROPECIA if my wife and I are starting a family?

Contact with the semen from a man being treated with PROPECIA is not a risk to the unborn child of a pregnant woman.

Yes, you can take PROPECIA if you and your wife are trying to conceive or if your wife is currently pregnant. However, women who are or may potentially be pregnant must not use PROPECIA and should not handle crushed or broken tablets of PROPECIA because doing so may cause abnormalities of a male baby’s sex organs.

http://www.propecia.com/finasteride/pro ... .jsp#faq12

HairLossTalk.com

HairLossTalk.com:

Merck officials make occasional visits to my office; they even cater lunch. Wonderful people. But frankly, they convey the impression that Propecia is about as harmless as bubble gum. So I wish you had posted a link other than Merck. Profit is their #1 priority. Remember Vioxx.

The volume of my semen is reduced. I'm not a doctor but I would think that less semen = less sperm = less chance of conception.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Your doctor is wrong. YOU do the research. I already have. Had you been less arrogant I would post some studies. But I'll leave it to you because I don't have a Phd in medicine.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
A professional opinion is important, but you should not simply hand over total judgement to your doctor. You have critical abilities, too. Exercise them.

petemitchell

Reaction score
At only 22, I REALLY hope that what this guy's saying isn't true.

I definately want to have lots of kids some day, would it be worth finding out if it's possible to store your sperm to use in the future...to be on the safe side? Does this cost $$$?

SethAus

Reaction score
I apologize for the seeming arrogance.

While I agree that my doctor is not an oracle, or the highest authority on the subject, I've decided to quit finasteride for a number of reasons, including his considered professional opinion. For example, I had my first morning erection in a long time this morning. It convinced me further that I'd rather be bald and healthy, if given a choice between that and the alternative.

My question now is, what is the best regimen of topicals only? Bear in mind, I'm not trying to grow hair. I'm just trying to maintain as much of what I have left as possible until neogenesis or something similar is available and perfected.

mogadon

Established Member
Reaction score
your best topical route is

spironolactone 5%
revovigen
nizoral 2% shampoo 2/3 times a week

thats a nice and basic anti-androgen topical regime and defiantly the best one i would say, of course you can add more things if you want, but then it can become a bit of a hassle

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
SethAus said:
The volume of my semen is reduced. I'm not a doctor but I would think that less semen = less sperm = less chance of conception.
There's your first problem. Assuming. Your conclusion is also incorrect. Reduced ejaculate volume does not equal infertility.

Instead of assuming and declaring, why not try researching and learning.

You can start here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

HairLossTalk.com

PS.. if you're going to go through life thinking everyone who makes money off a product is a stinking liar who can't be trusted, then god help you. Some people actually have morals. Merck reps treat the stuff like candy because they have read the studies that show it is totally harmless in the 25+ years it has been on the market. I even went to see a urologist the other day and mentioned this site, and guys like you, and he looked at me perplexed and said "Ive been prescribing the stuff to my patients ... thousands of them ... for nearly 20 years ... haven't had a single problem"

That is called perspective.