May 31st Today Show Report: Why Men Go Bald

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
I wanted to alert everyone to this and also make a very serious comment about it.

On the Today Show, Matt Lauer, who is going bald, held an "investigative report" on going bald. I watched it curious to see what was said about hair multiplication and what's to come. It was not once mentioned. This is one of those stupid news pieces of junk that come out all the time, mimicing the always interesting Men's Health articles of "Why Do Men Get Beer Bellies".

It pissed me off a bit to see this report because it offered no news of the hope that is present these days and that there are options. Here is what was mentioned as far as prevention and surgery options:

Like other genetic traits, hair loss can strike one brother in a family and not the other. Short of surgery, and two medications, there are no FDA-approved treatments for this type of hair loss.

That's it. No disclaimer saying 'but hey in a few years this may all be nothing. Hair multiplication is going on"

Anyway, it pisses me off that the news feels they can regurgitate the same old facts and boring information that basically states 'men go bald because of genetics. that's it, they're screwed'. The solution offered by this report was to embrace it like Michael Jordan. Well super guys, thanks that advice.

Rather, I'll do my own research, compile my own facts, and give Matt Lauer a ring when HM comes out so reports like this stop coming out.

VWdude

Reaction score
Michael Joran is Michael Jordan... suits some people... but what about the people with weird shaped heads that only look good with hair. Suits some of us not all...

Faston

Reaction score
Hair multiplication will not necessarily be a cure-all treatment for baldness. Expectations that it will even be available this decade are optimistic, nevermind that it will also be expensive and much more of an ordeal than many are willing to unergo just to regrow their hair.

You can't exactly expect in-depth and informed journalism from the Today Show anyway.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Faston said:
Hair multiplication will not necessarily be a cure-all treatment for baldness. Expectations that it will even be available this decade are optimistic, nevermind that it will also be expensive and much more of an ordeal than many are willing to unergo just to regrow their hair.

You can't exactly expect in-depth and informed journalism from the Today Show anyway.

lol thats awesome ...now where did you get your facts again?

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Yea I'd walk through fire and make out with Madeline Albright to regrow hair. Believe me, any ordeal is fine if hair comes back.

Plus generic statements pertaining to expense and timeline are conjecture. What is expensive? 10,000 to 30,000 isn't bad to me for a full head of hair and Dr. Washenik has been quoted in Wall Street journal as saying an entire head of hair through multiplication will run around 10,000.

fritz96

Reaction score
??? Your post doesn't make sense. Most people are willing to have a transplant which is much more of an "ordeal" than HM.

Faston said:
it will also be expensive and much more of an ordeal than many are willing to unergo just to regrow their hair.