mature hairline??

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Dr. Rassman is a firm believer that hair-loss doesn't occur until someone reaches an NW3. I think it's hogwash. There is something to be said for a "Mature hairline," but it has become an extremely overused word on these forums. I think a mature hairline is closer to a NW1, while the juvenile hairline is what would be a NW0. A NW2 is clearly a receding hairline, especially judging by the aerial view.

NW2
nw2.gif

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
timbo said:
Dr. Rassman is a firm believer that hair-loss doesn't occur until someone reaches an NW3. I think it's hogwash. There is something to be said for a "Mature hairline," but it has become an extremely overused word on these forums. I think a mature hairline is closer to a NW1, while the juvenile hairline is what would be a NW0. A NW2 is clearly a receding hairline, especially judging by the aerial view.

NW2
nw2.gif
An NW0 doesn't even exist.

And what about the ones that never had a low hairline?
When I was a kid, I never had a hairline that low, if you want me to judge by the pictures I was closer to a NW2.

I do believe a mature hairline does exist, the problem I have is that some people believe there is not a problem having that hairline, when in reality, every further Norwood started at a "mature hairline". How do you know you are not going to start to really lose hair in a few months?

What about other types of balding tests?
It's amazing we still use something so archaic and ambiguous as the Norwood scale. Not everyone is born with the same hairline, same forehead, same skull shape

abcdefg

Reaction score
I 100 percent agree. That chart is plain stupid and way out dated but we rely on it anyways. How it any hairloss not male pattern baldness? Its hard to believe someone would lose a lot of hair and then magically it just stops forever on its own. If a mature hairline were a Norwood 2 then really by that logic a Norwood 7 is just someone with an extra mature hairline. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Any hair lost is really male pattern baldness in some form. Too bad our current treatments are anything but impressive.