Mature hairline, or male pattern baldness?

jsmith255

Reaction score
Hi All,

42 and I've never had any real problem with hair loss until a few months ago that I've noticed..... I was getting a haircut and the hairdresser combed the hair back and whoa! It appears to be receding quite a bit, but just mostly on one side (?)
I haven't noticed my hair getting thinner anywhere else yet, nor has it backed up on the forehead line. I also have not really noticed any unusual hair loss when combing or washing, though I had a bout with stress in my late 20s and remember lots and lots of hair coming out then in the shower, etc.

Is this "mature hairline", aka, in with the bag of fun of general aging, falling apart in store along with getting wrinkles and gray hair,,,,,which I am getting some sporadically all over head,,...... or is it the onset of male pattern baldness? My father is balding but my mother's father died with a full head of hair in his late 70s, so I figure I have an even chance. Is there some way to test?
I've kind of kept an eye on the area for about a month, and am only sure of one hair that fell out, this morning (there were to together in a spot, now theres one), though others could have...... I know it sounds like I'm splitting hairs but I couldn't help looking wanted to have some kind of benchmark to go by. Thanks for advice.

Attachments

• P1090890.jpg
    P1090890.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 270
  • P1090888.jpg
    P1090888.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 251
  • P1090878.jpg
    P1090878.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 239

thiswomps

Reaction score
One thing I've learned about hair loss is everyone has a different opinion on whats what. If you're asking if your hairline looks like male pattern baldness, yes, it does, but it looks like its probably been going for a while. At 42, chances are you've had a fairly slow amount of hairloss if you still have all that hair and were fine through your 20's. Your hairline could also just be changing a bit and you may hold on to what you've got for the rest of your life. No one really knows, nor can anyone give you a definitive answer.

jsmith255

Reaction score
I'm going to try the Nizoral shampoo. I'm kind of loathe to play around with chemicals and possibly make it worse or become dependent, but it seems safe since its a topical and reduces sebum in the hair (which supposedly combines with DHT and causes hair loss). The studies they have done seem pretty persuasive.
I guess everyones worst fear is they try something and it causes shedding, or triggers more loss...... I'm slightly angst that the strength of it (2%) might cause that and then how do you know whether to continue? But surely if lots of people had that happen with so common a product, we would hear about it. I'm still not quite understanding why it was discontinued in America but still sold in Canada and overseas.....anybody know the story?
At my age as with much else, if I could just hold on to things as they are I'd be happy.

thiswomps

Reaction score
I can say that Nizoral shampoo has seemed to help me at least, make sure you don't use it everyday, my experience has been good with nizoral, no shedding.

jsmith255

Reaction score
Okay just an update.... after checking into this all morning I've decided to go with the Regenepure DR first.......it has the same Keto in it but isn't as harsh, and apparently is made especially for hair loss (instead of dandruff). Its only 1% but you can leave it on longer and shouldn't make too much difference.
People are saying get the DR, not the NT. Also taking Biotin. I'm not ready for Rogaine at this point, and too squeamish for Finasteride.
I know all of this is kind of throwing darts, but may as well give it a try.

thiswomps

Reaction score
Regenepure DR is actually what I've been using, just switched to Nizoral, for no reason other then to try it out. Regenepure was going fine for me though.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
First of all, you look great for 42. Second of all, my guess would be that it's just a mature hairline given that you're into middle age and seem to still have thick hair and very slightly receded temples.

Did you even look at the post date?